Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Futaba gy 401 dragonfly 36

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:54 PM
DinSum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba gy 401 dragonfly 36

Hey!, my gy401 came in today. i been trying to set it up right but can't seem to. It has a connecter with 1 wire in it that is supose to go into channel 5 which is supose to be a receiver sensitivity switching channel but its not, so i didn't plug it in, i assume its for adjusting the sensitivity of the gyro with a high quality tx so i probably wont be needing that. Everything seems to be working fine except 2 things, but im not sure if this is a problem or not, when my heli is on and my tx is on the light on the gyro flashes and the gyro instructions say that means there is no rudder commands beings sent from the tx so the rudder servo is shut off but thats not the case for me, my gyro seems to be working good by the looks of it..... Im trying to get a steady light on the gyro which means its operating in avcs mode, or can i even run avcs mode with this tx rx???? One other little problem is i can only make the rudder servo one way fully, but the other way only 1/2 of the way, i can adjust this only by adjusting the rudder trimmer almost fully to the right to allow it to move fully in both directions, or equaly in both directions anyways. I wanted to have my trimmer in the middle because some people make it seem to crucial for your battery life... but how bad is it really?

I have not tried flying it yet with the flashing light but when turning it in my hands it looks good, I got to wait for a tail peice to come in before i can lift off again :P

Throw me any help! :/

Old 01-25-2006, 07:45 PM
DinSum

Default RE: Futaba gy 401 dragonfly 36

all fixed, turns out u need to plug that plug into channel 5 which is the gear channel, and use the gear flip switch to enable/disable head lock mode. Also both rudder directions on the tx are equal now too.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:30 PM
41south

DinSum,

Did you find that the GY401 light flashed once you brought up the throttle to lift off. Mine is steady while on the ground, but flashes a lot after I bring up the throttle for takeoff.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:49 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

DinSum, the GY401 requires a computer radio to be used properly.

I'm not sure what the walkera transmitter is like, but if switching the gear switch is enabling AVCS, i'd be worried that it's setting the gain setting from 0% (reg mode) to 100% (avcs), which means you may burn out your servo before ever getting off the ground.

The switching (on most computer radios) works like this:
0 - 49 = Rate mode. 50 - 100 = AVCS mode. Most helis operate fine in the 60 - 80% range. Because you're using an analog switch with no digital adjustable settings, it's likely the switch is going from 0 to 100% gain, which would be a cause for concern.

And, of course, even if you do get off the ground, it's unlikely your tail will behave properly at 100% gain. You'll get some real violent wagging i'd wager.

You can, by all means, try your current setup and hope for the best, however, i'd keep a real close eye on your tail servo to ensure you don't cook it.

Happy flying!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:41 AM
DinSum

41south,

The light on mine acts the same as yours, I read on a website that u shouldn't worry about it, as long as your light is solid right when u turn on the helicopter it means its in avcs mode (head hold).

Are you using the walker tx rx ?? and do u use the gear switch to switch between normal mode and avcs mode? How does the heli fly for you?

credence,

I don't know what to say... the heli seems to be working ok... I set the delay(gain) switch to 50% on the gyro but the main problem is this. when the heli is in the air it always spins counter clockwise so i have to adjust it by setting the trimmer to the left about 5 clicks. Before I turn the heli on i set the trimmer 5 clicks right from the center so when I turn the heli on i bring it back to the center and have the heli flying without spinning but it still does spin a little bit no matter what, The trimmer adjustment is too high and can't seem to get the heli to fly perfectly in the air without spinning but it is rather close. The instructions say if i want to set the neutral position i would have to switch between normal mode and headlock mode 3 times in the span of 1 second, but when i use the gear switch to do that, i dont see or hear any indication that it worked and doesn't seem to work either.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:57 PM
DinSum

if i was to get a new futaba tx, do u think that i could use it with the walkera rx and set the gain to my 401 with it??