Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

need advice on this please

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 02:03 PM
miskin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on this please

hi all

im just getting back into RC HELI'S and would like some advice on this please

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

whats the advice buy it ?? stay clear of it???

how easy are the parts to get hold of ??

please advise me i plan i buying tomorrow if the advice is good

miskin
Old 01-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Schwede

Default RE: need advice on this please

The li-po is junk! Read the #36 thread to find out. Mine lasted 3 charges. After that it did not fully charge anymore, even with a better li-po charger.
Try to find a #36 with a brushless motor. This is the least 'upgrade' you should get...
Old 01-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Okisub

also factor in the following:
-Walkera Gyros are very prone to malfunction so add the price of a quality replacement
-The #36 NEEDS a brushless motor/ESC to do anything more than just hover, even when set up properly. So add the price of those. Don't skimp on the quality there either, it's not worth it.
-My Walkera radio is glitchy now and then(has caused a bit of damage too) so if you are serious about the hobby get yourself some quality radio gear.
-As schwede said the supplied Li-PO battery is utter rubbish so add in the price of another one or two batteries.
-I've had 2 Walkera servos die within 10 packs so factor a set of them in too just in case.
That will easily double the initial price but once you start you will need it.

You said you are getting back into helis, so do you have decent radio gear already? If so maybe look for a barebones #36 kit or grab a Trex combo with kit+motor/ESC.

Parts like mainshafts and feathering shafts for Trex are a LOT cheaper and easier to source than for the Walkera heli. Well thats the case in Australia anyway...

Hope that helps you make a choice

I am in two minds about my #36.
On one hand its cost me way more time on just replacing stock electrics and the damage caused by them, making me think if I bought a Trex then I would have "built-setup-FLY-crash due to my own inexperience-repair-fly" instead of "setup-something fails-crash-repair-setup-something else fails-crash-repair-buy parts-repair-repeat".
But on the other hand I like the fact that the Walkera is kind of the underdog and really with enough time invested in it it should fly well. Maybe I'm just trying to fool myself because I actually bought one before reading other peoples advise properly []

So I guess if you want a tinkerer get a #36 if you want a heli to build and fly get a Trex. They will both cost the same once they are up and running.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:20 PM
thecheatscalc

the 36 is an EXCELLENT heli, if you take it slow that is, things break when you crash.

get the 36, stock, then buy a 35A ESC (align works great) an 420LF brushless motor (align) then take a trip to www.maxamps.com and pick up a 2100mAh li-poly (11.1v) if possible, try to buy a decent charger, if not, buy a walkera li-poly one (they DO work fine actually, just watch it as it's charging) and two male deans plugs from maxamps while you're there (have the li-poly fitted with one, it's worth it)

that's the way to go, get the heli, follow my guide on tuning it (bottom link in sig) and then we'll help you with the rest.