Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Setting up a WALKERA 36 fresh out of the box

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Setting up a WALKERA 36 fresh out of the box

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:38 PM
MeAmadBiker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Setting up a WALKERA 36 fresh out of the box

Hi I've had my Walkera 36 just over a week.I couldn't wait to fly it but after getting over the problems with the settings I spent a few days hopping in my house. I've been learning without training legs and had just manaaged to consitantly hover when the radio locked up up and the resulting crash bent my main rotor shaft. I've ordered a new one but I don't have a clue how to get the old one off. Is there a quick way to replace it?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:09 PM
vic20owner

Two set scerws under the main gear, and one at the pitch servo.

BTW, my W36 would not get off the ground. Just little hops. I just threw in a 10C 11.1V lipo 1250mah and it flies great. Going to upgrade in this order:
15C 2100 lipos and then align 430L motor + 35A esc.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:16 PM
o0dekker0o

can i suggest joining a club ? i did and everyone helped me out when it came to setting up ?

Old 10-16-2006, 09:57 PM
flutter caused it

Heys guys.. My first post here but the 36 walkera is my forth heli.. My friend has the brushed 36 on Nmh batteries.. I didnt like it much, not enough power and forget about 3D. I upgraded to a brushless and 1500 lipo. It is truly a decent flying heli with good manors with a brushless and a decent li-po.. I was so used to my friends heli that when I flew mine for the first time, it shot up to about 40 feet in the air before I could come off the throttle.. Flies rock steady even with a slight wind.. I dont like the gyro, seems I cant find a happy medium with the rudder. the tail is either hard to come around unless you hold steady pressure on the stick, or its too loose and wanders.. I havnt hovered inverted but I have done quite a few aileron rolls.. Im happy with mine..
Old 10-17-2006, 05:20 AM
gj1803

This is a top thread guys. Had my W36 for about a month now. Before that had a Twister fixed pitched heli. Learnt most of my skills with that heli (its almost indestructable). The W36 however is a different animal altogether. Because of its size and its a collective pitch heli, a lot of energy is stored in those spinning blades, so even when things go Pete Tong and you shut off the throttle, if the heli hits anything, your gonna break stuff. I now carry blades, blade grips, transverse bar and a main shaft as spares. I can control the heli in a 'tail in ' hover and even short ff's but wow! turn the heli 90 degrees and its like your brains turn to jelly. Found the W36 to be rock steady even in windy conditions. If its windy it just jumps further in to the air

Anyway happy flying

Gary
Old 10-29-2006, 12:50 PM
danmickread

Hi, i have just purchased a 36 and have managed to follow all of the steps for setting it up except the one to level the blades up. I have checked and mine are at different heights. But i thought the linkages which you say to adjust changed the pitch of the blade i dont see how this alters the height of it. Could someone please explain this a bit clearer for me please.
thanks
dan
Old 11-11-2006, 06:54 AM
benny0304

G'day all,

I am a newbie, I have a walkera 36 had a big stack the other day replaced everything but now I can't stop the damn thing spin'n crazy, I can't even counter steer otherwise it spins worse the opposite way, my belt is not slip'n and there is plenty of power at the tail I think??
It has me stuffed?? Any help from anyone please I will be grateful, I have followed the setup list but what do I do with the tail to stop the spin??
Please someone help me!!
Cheers Benny
Old 11-11-2006, 09:55 AM
gordthebiker

benny0304,

Make sure your battery is fully charged, if it's low and you give a lot of collective it'll spin
Old 11-11-2006, 12:24 PM
MeAmadBiker

your belt may not be slipping but the drive pully can slide on the shaft after a crash. try holding the main rotor while turning the tail rotor. There should not be any movement. Also the tail servo can slide along the tail boom putting the whole thing far out of adjustment
Old 11-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Orion1024

Adjusting the linkages will alter the pitch of each blade...this is used if it doesn't track properly in flight due to a difference in lift between the blades. Your problem sounds like either the spindle shaft is bent or the blades aren't flat.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Orion1024

Sounds like your gyro setting might be reversed. Also, the tail slider should move in the opposite direction of the stick (left rudder would make the slider move to the right and vice versa).
Old 11-12-2006, 12:32 AM
benny0304

G'day all,

Thanks for the help it has fixed my spin'n tail problem, my heli is pretty steady now apart from it won't go straight up it sort of goes off to the left, anyway I will play around some more any help will be great!!

Thanks again!!
Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 AM
george2576

meAmadbiker

Funy that, Ive just last night figured out how to get my main shaft out and replaced. Its fiddly but easy done. Unscrew the nut below the rotor head then desconnect all linkages that attach the head to swash plate. At the foot of the main shaft you will see a thin shaft coming out of the main shaft. this is held in by a small black lock nut, undo this. Pull the rotor head off the shaft (takes some pulling) you will be left wth the swash plate and the main shaft. Look below the main drives and you will see a silver bearing with two black lock nuts. undo these and the main shaft will come free from the body once you have disconnected the push rods that drive the swash. to remove the small shaft from the inside of the main I used a plyer and unscrewed it. once done there is a oblong block inside that needs to be pushed out of the rotor head thus releasing the head and swash from the main shaft.

Hope this helps

George
Old 02-19-2007, 03:44 PM
debbie-lee

Hi
I have a walkera 36 B, I have heard it has a auto pilot, that takes it to about a meter off the ground.. anyone know if this is true.. If so how do you set it to do this.. it would be great if this function actually exists!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 05:24 PM
mondo50

ORIGINAL: frezel

i think i worked out most of the kinks, only thing is should i buy a pitch gauage for the blades and the arions? also where is the best place to buy spare parts or hopups for this heli in the US?
I have had really good luck with www.rcandme.com. I get my parts within two days of ordering them and I am in Florida. Tim (the owner) is always willing to help and answers e-mails in a prompt fashion.

Milt
Old 02-25-2007, 09:27 AM
thtoyman
My Feedback: (7)

nice posting
Old 03-01-2007, 08:18 AM
gj1803

[Hi
I have a walkera 36 B, I have heard it has a auto pilot, that takes it to about a meter off the ground.. anyone know if this is true.. If so how do you set it to do this.. it would be great if this function actually exists!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 08:20 AM
gj1803

oops the above was supposed to be a quote from Debbie-Lee !!

Anyway to answer the question.....No! it does not exist lol some would really wish it did

GJ
Old 03-01-2007, 08:09 PM
thtoyman

I have one for sale.. Look in heli ads
Old 03-05-2007, 07:40 AM
stevehickey6

hi all

i have been reading quite a few posts on the walkera #36

this is a very good topic to help noobs like me

i have had my walker quite sometime now but have only jut got round to using it

problem i have is for some reason the nimh battery plug has melted

basicaly i put battery on charge disconected it when battery was warm after aprox 1 to 2 hour

put battery on side till following day when i was going to fly helli or try fly helli

when i come to conect battery i noticed the pins inside did not look right upon further inspection it has melted the black pin and the middle pin right into bottom of plug how its done it i not sure as did not notice anything wrong when i unpluged it night before and charger plug has not got any signs of damage.

i put multimeter across it and it showing correct voltage so then i tested conector after i chopped it off to see if anything shorting out and its not unless it was till it melted plastic and now its not.

anyone else had this happen to there nimh batterys ??

also on heli conection it uses the black and outer red wire and on charger it uses the black and inner red wire is this just so you dont mix plugs up or is there a reason for it having 2 red and 1 black wire on the battery

i was thinking of buying some deans plugs and fitting one to charger one to batter and one to helli but am not sure as what to do with the spare red wire on the battery can i just join the 2 red wires together on battery and attach to 1 pin on deans plug ??

or can i just use 1 red wire on battery and isolate the other one ??

i also have a lipo battery which has only got 2 wires and same on its charger can i use deans plugs on this also ??

any help much appreciated

thanks
steve
Old 03-06-2007, 09:04 PM
ATRUS

I bought the #68 on another site but im unable to find someone with all the parts i need ....i took a dive and trashed my aluminum rotor head....i found 1 that looks like the same aluminum head....its for a #36 in a upgrade kit,,,,do u think it will fit the #68 ??? are they the same rotor head size.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:52 PM
PAPAHOPPE

have recently purchased a Raptor G2, with a brushless 380 and a lipo 3s 1350mah. The maiden flight was not very eventful. I read the pilot's manuel which gave the normal flight settings as well as the 3D mode settings for the Transmitter. I adjusted the settings for the normal flight.
But when I attempted another flight the heli rotated wildly. I shut down the transmitter and rechecked the settings, they were correct. I then restarted the the heli motor at a very slow rate and very slowly increased the rotor speed. I tried to check the rotation of the heli, But couldn't stop the rotation. That is when I decided to examine the gears from the belt drive tail to the main rotor sprocket, which drives the gear for the belt driven tail rotor. I found that the gear for the belt driven tail rotor was not turning as i increased the motor speed for the main rotor. I found that in fact that the gear for the belt had become separated from the lower gear and was not spinning.
I figured since I had to order the a replacement (gear set) that I would also order all of the CNC upgrades.
When the parts arrived I upgraded the tail, and the entire main rotor control devices with the new parts. I had also ordered a 3S 1800 mah Lipo battery and a balance Lipo charger. I installed the new fully charged 3s 1800mah battery and tested the rotation of the rear rotor. I the felt the ESC which burnt my fingers to the touch. I noticed that the wrapping of the ESC had melted and that the brushless motor was also very hot to the touch. The battery was not extremely hot but it was very warm. I disconnected the ESC from the Battery and from the motor. I let everything cool down and the reattached the ESC to the motor and to the battery. I reconected the wire to the Receiver throttle slot. The connection between the ESC and the motor became extremely hot immediately, so I disconnected the ESC from the battery and the motor. This leads me to the following question have I burnt up the motor and the ESC or have I only burnt up the motor. Should I replace the 30A ESC with a larger capacity ESC(40A) and the motor or should I replace the motor only. If there is anyone that has had a similar problem or knows what caused this problem. I would appreciate your advise ad councel. Thank You PAPAHOPPE
Old 03-16-2007, 07:03 PM
thtoyman

I have one for sale with up grades not on it yet.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Rollin Thunder

It's always good to have a system for the process of setting up the heli. The order that works for me is as follows.

First I bend the L links parallel with the flybar. Then using a calliper I match up the long links. Center flybar, level paddles and balance blades.

Unplug motor (or if you have a programmable tx you can use throttle hold at 0%) Center throttle stick. Center pitch slider in shaft slot. Set pitch EPA.....................................(PLT)

SETTING PITCH
Designate one blade as the MASTER BLADE. Concentrate on this blade for setting pitch using the short link. Set pitch to 0 deg at center stick.

TRACKING
Using the short link, bring the SLAVE BLADE in line with the MASTER BLADE.

Set throttle curve. (It seems that everyone has there own method of doing this.)

Setting tail pitch
Center yaw trim. Hover to see if you need more or less tail pitch. Slide the servo forward on the boom for less pitch or back for more pitch. This is a slide, test, slide, test prosses. Onece your tail holds relitively solid you can use the yaw trim to fine tune. Set tail EPA.

Done!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:15 PM
endoquad

Hi Guys,

I am brand new to Helis, getting the Raptor G2 SE tomorrow. Pretty excited, BUT, from what I heard the manual that it comes with isn't worth much. [&o]

Can I use the setup in this thread for the G2??

How different is it going to be?

I race Nitro rc trucks and realize that set up is everything. Unfortunately, for some reason I can't find much help directly for the G2. I would like to get it right at least once before I start busting things up. (If that is even possible lol.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Endoquad-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.