Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

My New RC Simulator!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Mister_Scary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New RC Simulator!

Because I have only recently become obsessed with electric RC flight, I thought it would be a good idea to get a simulator. This seemed to be better than destroying my expensive new toys while learning to fly.

I got the E-sky (because it was cheaper than the $200 one at my LHS) simulator package yesterday and installed it last night. After a few minutes of set up and calibration of the TX, I picked the "three dee" model heli that looks similar to my df60.
I went with the default scenery that looked like a little RC air field.

I start the program and the heli is sitting on the runway with the blades spinning. I lift up on the throttle and CRASH It goes over on it's side. So I restart and lift up on the throttle and CRASH again. So now I'm messing with the trim and CRASH! This goes on for a while when it hits me that there's something not right with the throttle stick and it's functions.

It turns out that they screwed up the wiring in the TX at the factory! I took it apart and unsoldered the three wires that went to each of the two pots and switched them. I soldered them and put it back together so now it works like a TX is supposed to. Stick up = throttle up......stick down = throttle down.......stick left = crash left........stick right = crash right.

I managed to trim everything out by barely lifting off and setting back down again a few times and she was hovering! Well for a few seconds anyway. Seems to start out okay and this little movement leads to this correction which leads to another correction and before you know it, CRASH![:@]

I am soooooooooo glad I decided to use a sim to learn to fly!! Otherwise, I'd be out several thousand dollars right now with a large pile of mangled helicopters and planes!

I guess it's like anything else in life and practice will make perfect.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:23 PM
vic20owner

Default RE: My New RC Simulator!

Uh, are you sure they soldered the wires wrong and it wasn't just set up wrong in the program!? I find it hard to believe they reversed the wires in the transmitter! Besides, there are switches for reversing the sticks!
Old 10-20-2006, 05:38 AM
Mister_Scary

ORIGINAL: vic20owner

Uh, are you sure they soldered the wires wrong and it wasn't just set up wrong in the program!? I find it hard to believe they reversed the wires in the transmitter! Besides, there are switches for reversing the sticks!
When I took the sim TX out of the box, the functions of the left stick were:
Push stick left = throttle-up.......push stick right = throttle down.......release stick = springs back to middle.
Push stick down = roll left.....push stick up = roll right......release stick = nothing because it's "clicked" in place.

After my fix the left stick functions are:
Push stick left = roll left......push stick right = roll right......push stick up = throttle up....push stick down = throttle down.

As Ripley would say, "Believe it or not"!
Old 10-20-2006, 05:51 AM
Mister_Scary

Well I logged another hour or so of flight/crash time last night on the simulator and I was right..... Practice IS making perfect!

I was getting some pretty good flight times after a while and seem to only be crashing when the heli gets a little too far from me. When it's too far it's just a dot on the screen and I can't see how it's oriented as I try to fly it.

I was even able to fly a couple of planes around for several minutes at a time. Still no safe plane landings yet, but that's what practice is for.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:08 AM
Karyn

Every sim I've ever seen has a setup page where you can define which channels control which functions.

Throttle/collective (your left stick up/down) should be on channel 3.

Like Vic20 I find it hard to believe the wires were connected wrong at the factory. Are you using a dummy TX that came with the sim or your real TX? If it's your real TX make VERY SURE that it controls your heli correctly before you try to fly for real...
Old 10-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Mister_Scary

ORIGINAL: Karyn

Every sim I've ever seen has a setup page where you can define which channels control which functions.

Throttle/collective (your left stick up/down) should be on channel 3.

Like Vic20 I find it hard to believe the wires were connected wrong at the factory. Are you using a dummy TX that came with the sim or your real TX? If it's your real TX make VERY SURE that it controls your heli correctly before you try to fly for real...
Yes, I know how to use the software.

Yes, it's a dummy TX with a USB cable.

What is so hard to believe here? It''s a $20 simulator with 80's-quality graphics.