Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

New guy with 22e... sweet

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:52 PM
jcrawf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with 22e... sweet

alright, so I just ordered myself a new 22e and it should be arriving any day now. I went against my conscience and ordered online vs my local hobby shop. The clowns that work there told me that unless I spend $600 on a nitro rig, I'd be wasting my money. So I went home and 'wasted' my money with another store.
Here's my problem... I'm in Canada and the only place I can find Walkera stuff is on Ebay. I've been reading this incredibly long thread and have learned that these little rigs tend to wear out/crash/burn up and require a good supply of replacement parts. I have only two shops in town and they sell eflite and esky products. Will any of these parts fit my 22e?
Along the same lines, since I won't be able to go to these guys for upgrade/replacement info, can anyone provide me a good list of parts I should have on hand and any nice little upgrades I should consider. Try to dumb it down as much as possible... my only rc experience is with my Air Hogs Aero Ace.
Thanks, love the forum.

Jeremy
Old 10-21-2006, 08:40 AM
bonjovi

Default RE: New guy with 22e... sweet

hi jeremy,

i have the walkera no 39 and 22e both are excellent helis . the best place i have found for spares is www.ehirobo.com they are cheap and the parts always arrive within a week of ordering them. another site is www.hobbyjapan2000.com

hope this helps
gary
Old 10-21-2006, 11:50 AM
jcrawf

nice, Thanks Gary. I checked out the sites and they look good. Any suggestions on what parts I should have on hand (rotors, motors,etc)? I see that a few places sell crash kits, is that something I should invest in? I'm planning on crashing a few times.
I'm also a big upgrade guy, so I'm looking at lipo batts and brushless motors. Can you (or anyone) suggest anything. I'm not familiar with batteries and I worry about putting one in that is going to burn the heli up.
thanks again.

Jeremy
Old 10-21-2006, 12:39 PM
bonjovi

hi jeremy

no probs things i have found you need mainly if your a new flyer is, main blades,tail blades , main shaft (they seem to bend real easy on the 22e) as for batterie i have a 12v 1200maH lipo on mine lasts for about 15-20 mins if your lucky and its charged on a balance charger a company called swallow make good chargers you need to shop about for the good ones and definatly get yourself a brushless motor they are soooo much better than the stock motors also upgrade yourself to a metal rotor head they are much stronger again than the stock head some people complain about the radio gear supplied but i have not had any problems with mine. once you get your heli set up as you want it the 22e is a great little heli and can do most of the stuff its bigger brothers can do. oh and you must get yourself a set of training gear till your confident in your flying.

hope this helps
Gary
Old 10-22-2006, 05:24 AM
gordthebiker

Venom 3d parts are the same as 22E parts. Eflight & Esky parts won't fit apart from the CP blades perhaps.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:38 AM
jtspin

There are a few parts you can use can use from the Blade CP. I've used main and tail motors, tail rotor, and tail rotor gear.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:57 AM
Rattlecat

There is a dealer in Texas http://www.rcandme.com that carries a complete line of parts for several Walkera electrics. This dealer is growing and has always had stock on the parts, also anything on his site seems to be in stock. Others seem to drift in and out of this and that.

Stableblade
Old 10-24-2006, 10:08 AM
FantzyPantz

Hi everyone, I've been lurking in the Heli forums for a couple of months, I have been involved in RC aircraft and I'm just getting started in Heli's. My addiction to flying (comparable to the wifey's shoe fettish) has overcome me and I finally purchased my 1st Heli from http://www.raidentech.com/dr223dae6rar.html

This is the Eagle 50, which I understand is quite similar to the Walkera 22e product line.

Other places I have looked at for spare parts and full RTFs
http://www.helidirect.com/index.php?cPath=29
http://www.xheli.com
Old 10-29-2006, 09:50 AM
darkage

I have just graduated from my Walkera 22e to a Trex 450 SE. Originally I purchased 2 x Walkera 22e's, since I figured that parts were more expensive to buy separately.
The 22e is a excellent helicopter to learn on, well not for the complete newbie but with some simulator training its not too bad.

It taught me all the basics, especially with how the machine is mechnically setup. The only thing I don't like about the 22e, is thats its so easy to break. Lots of plastic parts to replace. If you do break any of the plastic ball joints, replace them with threaded metal balls. Plastic ball joints break like crazy. I didn't spend too much time on the 22e, just up to the hover stage, then I purchased my Trex SE (: 2nd hand so it was already built. but programming a complex radio took me the whole weekend. Just finished my first flight on it. & boy its a worlds difference from the 22e. The Trex just stays there in the air precisely where you tell it to go. Had my longest constant heli flight on it 10 mins (: I haven't broken any parts on the Trex, its more robust. Wished I started out on the Trex but then it would have costed me heaps more of $$$$ for the crashes during training phase.

If you can fly a 22e then you should be able to fly anything.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:46 AM
robotronski

I agree with Darkage 1000% !!!!!

The 22E is nowhere as forgiving as a larger Heli with more precise mechanicals as well as a nice set of control electronics. Shoot, the feel alone of the Walkera transmitter sticks as compared to a JR or Futaba is night and day.

You do get what you pay for, but my old tired 22E served its purpose quite well.

It was a CHEAP intro to the hobby. No regrets, no Walkera bashing either.

Moving onwards to my 450SA Astro 020 Castle Creations Controller Hitec HS65 metal gears Fut 401 gyro JR -pcm TX with channel select RX

Shoot, the Futaba 401 Gyro alone costs more than my entire 22E did including the outrageous shipping I paid to get the 22E to my house.

Still in the build stage as I don't trust an assembled ARF heli like I did when I was just a rookie
pilot !!!! Went with the SA not for pre-built, but to get the better frame than the XL model, cant afford an SE and want to be able to buy my other gear too.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:15 PM
jcrawf

I gotta say, I love the feedback from this forum. Thanks to everyone for their input. When I first decided to get into this hobby, I pictured a lot of immaturity and a lot of "u dont want da 22e coz it sux" type responses.
I'm not sure if this is going to be a lifetime hobby, but its definitely off to a great start.

I will say, that I am experiencing some slight pangs of regret for not buying a heli that I can repair through my local hobby shop. I'm just a stickler for good customer service and I didn't get it there. I did however find a canadian online seller that has all the parts I need and has really cheap and fast shipping. Maybe someday when I upgrade, I'll give these clowns a chance to redeem themselves but I don't think I'll be going back in anytime soon.

Thanks again for all the replies. I have ordered the parts recommended to have on hand and I really appreciate the support from newbies and vets alike. I'll post again and let everyone know about my first spectacular crash.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:28 AM
darkage

ORIGINAL: jcrawf

I did however find a canadian online seller that has all the parts I need and has really cheap and fast shipping. Maybe someday when I upgrade, I'll give these clowns a chance to redeem themselves but I don't think I'll be going back in anytime soon.
Helihobby.com looks like a good destination if your in Canada. Here in Australia I have to mail order pretty much everything from interstate.

I just had a high speed crash with my Trex SE. Got a little bit too over confident. Decided to see how high I could get the bird. Well I got it very high, about 4 stories high. Wasn't expecting the wind it keep it up there with 10% throttle. Then the wind stopped & I lost orientation due to not normally flying so high looking at the bird from that prespective then got it into a side slipping action where it fell out of the sky like a missle into someones fibreglass roof. Lucky their roof is ok. but hell I'm impressed. I've only damaged about $50 worth of stuff. (Main/Rear blades, landing skid, main gear, horizontal stab,) The carbon body lived up to the punishment & the metal components lived as well on the Trex SE, just a little bend in the flybar which I've straighten back out. Im lucky I didn't crash into a car or something more expensive. This is one tough heli. A minor accident in a Walkera could run up the same bill if your unlucky.

I better find a huge field, I could kill someone with this thing.. opps. *Lesson Learnt*

Look up Radds school of rotaty flight. That webpage will teach you a feel for the sensitively of the controls of the machine. Combine that with FMS simulator & the data cable you can make up for the Walkera TX then you shouldn't really have a reason to crash all that much. Well except for chewing up blades (: