Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Not enough right pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:27 AM
dvschinooks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not enough right pedal

Hi Everyone,
I hope someone out there can help me. I'm new to the 3D heli's. I had a 2 CH and got pretty good at it. So I upped the anty to a Walkera 60. I'm in the military, currently in Afghanistan. I have a brushless motor in it, the replacement head and a stock tail. After figuring out how to get the replacement head to work I'm running into a new problem. I'm running out of right "pedal" to counter-act the natural torque effect. The servo moves the tail rotor control head from stop to stop. I put on a set of foam blades and that seemed to help...some, but not enough. I'm at a field elev of approx 3500 feet and the temp has been in the 90's.

Anyone experience this before or know what I can do to fix it???

Sincerely,

Dave
Old 05-11-2007, 11:50 AM
jtspin

Default RE: Not enough right pedal

You've got a pretty high density altitude there, but I can't say for sure that's the problem. You might try playing with the head speed vs. pitch (i.e, more head speed, less pitch, or more pitch, less head speed). I don't have a 60, so I don't know how it's done on that heli.

Good luck and thanks for serving your country!
-JT
Old 05-11-2007, 11:56 AM
HeliSmith

ORIGINAL: dvschinooks
I'm running out of right "pedal" to counter-act the natural torque effect. The servo moves the tail rotor control head from stop to stop.
There is a servo on the boom which adjusts the pitch of your tail rotor. You slide this servo forward or back for adjustment. Be careful not to over extend your servo or it will crumble. Very small adjustment is needed. You litterally slide the servo mount, servo and all forward or back on the boom to adjust it. It can just slide out of whack on it's own.

Also the servo horn should be at 90° with the servo when the rudder is in the middle, but I suspect it is ok if you haven't removed the servo horn.

Try this adjustment and let me know if that helped.

HS
Old 05-11-2007, 01:01 PM
dvschinooks

Thanks for the ideas! I think I'm going to track down the Air Force weather guys and see if I can start keeping a log of the pressure altitude to corilate it with the heli performance as well. I just hope I don't have an expensive toy that I can't learn to fly until I get home. It didn't seem to effect the 2 CH, but then its principal is just speed and the tail had its own motor to vary speed. I'll let you know more as I figure out more.

David
Old 05-11-2007, 01:32 PM
HeliSmith

Nah I think your servo mount needs to be slid forward or back to allow the tail rotor blades more pitch. If that isn't it then I think it's a bad servo.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:32 PM
jtspin

He already said he's getting full travel of the tail rotor, so I don't think it's a servo problem.

-JT
Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 PM
HeliSmith

Oh maybe that is what he said, must have read it wrong. Well if you trully are full right rudder and it is still spining your belt is sliping, you have your tail blades on backwards, or there is a mechanical defect not allowing enough pitch.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:27 AM
HeliSmith

I remember now what this problem is. You have too much pitch on one blade. You can adjust the wrong blade trying to give it more pitch and never figure it out.

1. Unplug two motor wires.
2. Give it full throttle, now unplug the helicopter. (Should go max pitch)
3. Find the blade with the most pitch, screw this linkage shorter. Make the pitch the same on both blades.
4. If it doesn't work adjust the other pitch a little shorter, check your pitch and make sure your pitch slider is centered at 0 throttle.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:08 AM
dvschinooks

Hello. Sorry been away for a bit. I've been tracking temp and PA here and it seems mid-day when the temp is the hottest is when I'm having the most trouble. In the evening when the temp goes down I get some of my right pedal back. I have a blade pitch meter and have the blades tracked, balanced, and set to the same pitch. I think it mostly hast to do with the high altitude that I'm at.

I was looking at the tail today and noticed that is has a set screw on what would be the head of the tail rotor. I was able to loosen that and pull the head out some to give me more right pedal pitch. I'm going to try it out today and see how much that helped.

Have you ever seen adjustable tail rotor control arms?

Dave
Old 05-16-2007, 11:57 PM
cyclicoverload

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly at 6000 ft. ASL with no problems at all, and when at work i fly at 7900 ft. with very little trim change. You need to cut the pitch down and speed up the head up to make up difference. I am useing a very similar set up to yours and it works fine with carbon blades or stock blades. Dont spend to much time with the little things DA effects full scale but has a very small effect on model airfoils due to the difference in Rynolds no. and loading of the blades. Every time ive helped a guy out with this problem he has had the tail rotor blades on backwards, to much main blade pitch, not enuff tail rotor blade pitch (or travel) or the belt was slipping.
And no i have never seen adj. tail rotor pitch arms i dont know what that guy is talking about?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:19 AM
HeliSmith

ORIGINAL: cyclicoverload
And no i have never seen adj. tail rotor pitch arms i dont know what that guy is talking about?
I reread the whole thread to see what you are talking about? What? You mean my comment about moving the servo forward or back on the boom?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:38 AM
dvschinooks

Howdy. The tail servo is mounted in the nose right behind the rx which doesn't allow for moving it. However, the sevro moves the tail control from stop to stop. The blades are moving in the right direction and the belt is not slipping. I'm not sure how I can speed up the head with an electric motor. I think its already spinning at max rpm. I have +8 degrees of pitch in both blades at max throttle/pitch. And they're both balanced out.

I did fix the problem though. The stock tail rotor head is two piecies. I was able to loosen the lock screw and adjust it for more pitch. I've also fabricated some adjustable t/r pitch arms rather then the fixed pitch arms, though I haven't had to install them after adjusting the t/r head.

David
Old 05-18-2007, 04:45 PM
cyclicoverload

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You adjust head speed with the radio not the motor, through the pitch and throttle curves!