Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera 4 gyro problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:04 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Walkera 4 gyro problem?

My little beast as suddenly developed a problem that I need some help with. It's always needed nearly full right trim to keep the nose straight but now it always rotates to the left to varying degrees. Sometimes I can go up into a hover and it seems ok then will suddenly begin to go nose left either slowly or sometimes quite violently. At first I thought it might have been the tail motor losing efficiency but fitting a new motor (2 actually) made no difference. I'm at a loss when it comes to things electrical so I can only guess it may be either the gyro (which I'm convinced works by magic ) or for some reason the tail motor isn't getting as much power as it should. On the assumption it's the black box in the nose I checked the price of a new one but at around half the cost of a new complete Walkera I need to know if there's a simple fix or do I just go get a new Walkera and keep this as spare parts.

If it's an electrical/electronic problem then any replies will have to be kept very simple . I've read through some articles on fitting component parts like a seperate gyro but anything like that is beyond my understanding.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:55 AM
USHobbySupply

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera 4 gyro problem?

Ok, here is the way to adjust the one and only thing you can adjust in the Walkera#4 4&1. This was not figured out by me but someone else on RCU. Credit goes to them.

1) Disconnect main motor so's you dont hurt yourself.
2) turn on heli.
3) apply full throttle and full right stick rudder.
4) Turn the potentiometer until you hear the tail motor top out. What i mean is that at one point the motor will be spinning as fast as it can, then when you pass that point, the motor will slow.

the pot can turn full 360, but only at one point will it provide the maximum mix. That is where you want to set it.

That will help eliminate the right trim that you have mentioned that you needed.

Hope that helps some,
Michael
Old 10-15-2007, 01:45 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael
Thanks for that and it explains why everyone couldn't get much if any change by adjusting that pot even after many turns in either direction. I tried what you suggested and I could definitely hear a slight change in the revs so I got out my trusty tacho. Max revs was 3600 dropping to 3300 at the lower limit of the pot. However 3600 was all it could give at full throttle and centre rudder with centred trim. Actually it peaked at 3600 well before full throttle and about where it'll lift into a hover. It's just not turning fast enough.

Not being electrically minded I took off the 8 tooth pinion and fitted a 10 tooth which now gives about 4200 revs. Now it needs about one click back from full right trim with a bit left over to rotate the nose fairly slowly to the right so at least it's flyable again. In fact I just had the best hovering flights I've ever had when I tested it .
Old 10-15-2007, 11:55 AM
USHobbySupply

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad you got is somewhat figured out. Some folks even clip a little bit off the ends of the tail blades, since most of the pitch is down towards the root, it will let the little guy spin a little bit faster. Dont try it if you only have one tail blade, but if you have a spare, its worth a shot.

Michael