Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera 5#10

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:34 PM
bad400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera 5#10

yea your right it was helipal.com is where i saw the 2.4ghz version for $119

it really is a nice heli
all bullsh-t aside the only thing that i dont like is the 3 hour recharge time and 5 minute flight time
but other than that it fly`s very good and is so quite i wouldnt have known it was flying if it wasnt for IT WAS flying
Old 01-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Sturmgewehr
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: bad400

I'm on it!
Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Sturmgewehr

I didn't realize they are out of Hong Kong.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Sturmgewehr

it really is a nice heli
all bullsh-t aside the only thing that i dont like is the 3 hour recharge time and 5 minute flight time
but other than that it fly`s very good and is so quite i wouldnt have known it was flying if it wasnt for IT WAS flying
Is it quieter then the Blade MCX. I suppose an extra battery or two would be a good idea then.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:43 PM
bad400

i really dont know i dont have the mcx
but i do have 6 other heli`s and this one is the quitest one out of all
Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Sturmgewehr

i really dont know i dont have the mcx
but i do have 6 other heli`s and this one is the quitest one out of all
Ok, for some reason I thought you had an MCX. How does the 5 #10 perform for you outdoors.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:27 PM
adroc3905

Ok it sounds like you are very indecisive about the Walkera 5#10. You have been going back and forth now for about 2+ full pages of posts.

I have owed the 5#10 and also the Lama V4 and here are my opinions in case they help suede you one way or the other.

The 5#10
Pros:
Super quite
Extremely durable right out of the box
Full CNC upgrades
Small and accurate
Availability of parts (not US)
Gaining popularity in the R/C heli community

Cons:
Short fly time compared to other co-axial heli’s similar size/weight (<10 min)
Extremely sensitive to weight (meaning reduced flight times the more you add on)
Limited upgrade battery options (1000 -1200 Mah)
No available aftermarket upgrades (motor, canopy, boom, etc.)
Hard to find US part dealer
Tends to spin in one direction when battery runs low (trim maxxed)
Small size and battery power require calm winds for outside flight

Lama V4
Pros:
12+ min flight time (I sometimes get bored before the battery dies)
Extensive range of aftermarket parts and batteries
Popular in the R/C heli community
Several US part dealers
Accurate when tuned properly (meaning motor gain)

Cons:
Cheap and crappy out-of-the box (RTF is a joke unless you like to fly in giant circles)
Stock blades are easily snapped in half (if you look at them funny they will break)
Needs metal head upgrade to avoid flybar issues (will pop off the head w/ each crash)
Loud motor sound (load when compared to the 5#10)
Not durable unless you spend the $ and upgrade to CNC parts (more of a trophy heli)

So as you can see both have good & bad aspects. I like them both but in reality only have time to enjoy one so I sold my 5#10….for now. To me money was not the issue at hand and the fact that I could upgrade everything on a V4 was more appealing to me. If you are starting out though I would highly recommend the 5#10 just for durability alone.

As far as 2.4G vs. 72Mhz I have also owed both. You pay more the 2.4G and supposedly get faster servo response time and ease of no channel interference when in groups or around electronic devices. The reality is if you adjust your servos/control arms properly you will get the same swash plate movement with a 72Mhz. The response time difference is so subtle that most people never really appreciate it. When it comes down to it you have to ask yourself, are you planning on flying with several other people (72MHZ does offer 60+ channels so the probability of 2 people having the same is slim) and is this a unit you plan to keep and enjoy for a long time? The cost difference is about $40 so that money could be used on extra blades, gears, batteries…etc. For around the house by yourself….a 2.4G is a total waste of money in my eyes. BTW 2.4G versions usually use a digital servo (at least the V4 does). Digital vs Analog is a whole other discussion.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Sturmgewehr

ORIGINAL: adroc3905

Ok it sounds like you are very indecisive about the Walkera 5#10. You have been going back and forth now for about 2+ full pages of posts.

For around the house by yourself….a 2.4G is a total waste of money in my eyes. BTW

Thank you for the info. However, I'm not "indecisive" about the buying the 5#10, I'm indecisive on WHERE to buy it.

Also, I disagree about the 2.4 being a "waste of money" for indoors. I feel that the much, much shorter antenna is well worth the extra money for indoor use.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 PM
adroc3905

Oh ok well its easy. Buy from California and wait for 5-7 days and get free shipping, buy from Hong Kong and get robbed on shipping and wait 6-10 days or buy from your nearest LHS and pay premium but get it today. Reading your posts and others every option has pretty much been presented. It seems the thread keeps circling back.

No matter where and who you buy it from they were all manufactured in the same plant on the same assembly line by the same people. You will not be guaranteed a higher quality product from one site to another. Believe it or not, even though we pay good money for these units they are constructed of plastic and metal and most will break sooner or later. It’s like the whole car theory of buying a vehicle made on a Wednesday.....do you honestly believe a better car is made at different days of the week? You might get a better price by a couple bucks but is it worth possibly waiting longer? I am frugal so to me it is.....maybe not to you though.

Xheli.com, Raidenteh.com, Boomtownhobbies.com, Miracle-Mart.com, Heliguy.com, and Helipal.com are all going to sell you the same thing. I have ordered from all and get the same customer service......although Jamie @ Boomtown was the fastest and best at communicating but you pay more since he is located in US and ships quicker.

Unless the room you fly in is larger than 20x20 and you use every inch of it, the antenna will never need to be fully extended. That is a total overkill and most people realize this. Seriously test it. I guarantee you wont see a difference with a full extension compared to half extension of the antenna when we are talking <20 ft. That would exclude electrical devices since Mhz are more susceptible to interference. Most manufactures are phasing out Mhz and moving to 2.4G. Again for an indoor unit I personally do not need it but for outdoor 3D flying my Blade 400…yes, it is a necessity.

I just don’t want to see people waste money if they don’t need to. You seem pretty much decided on the 2.4G and that is great. I state all this not to propose a pessimistic view on your shopping methods but b/c others (like us when we started) are new to the hobby and might find my information useful. People tend to think new technology is always better and worth the money. Look at Windows Vista.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Tedstrickland
My Feedback: (1)

If interested, contact me off-line at [email protected]. I have a NIB Walkera 5#10 2.4Ghz, along with some extra canopies and LG, I would let you have for $140, including Insured USPS Priority Mail here from St. Pete FL. LMK, Ted
Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Sturmgewehr

Oh ok well its easy. Buy from California and wait for 5-7 days and get free shipping, buy from Hong Kong and get robbed on shipping and wait 6-10 days or buy from your nearest LHS and pay premium but get it today. Reading your posts and others every option has pretty much been presented. It seems the thread keeps circling back.
What I don't understand is your ranting and raving about my business and worrying about the thread "circling back". I never said I was going to buy anything from Hong kong or my LHS. Moreover, I never had a concern about a higher or lower quality product "from one site to the other". Not to mention the fact that half of the stores you mentioned don't even carry the Walkera 5#10.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:54 AM
adroc3905

First off, the sites I mentioned were not meant to a be a road map for your shopping pleasure. They were merely to state a fact that you get the same product no matter who sells it. I never said the Walkera was sold at each one.
Second, I never quoted you saying you would/would not buy from Hong Kong, you did however comment on being surprised a particular site was from Hong Kong…..pg11
Third, I mentioned the quality thing b/c you are not the only new pilot looking into a 5#10 who may read this forum in their search so I made it clear that quality is not determined by the seller. Sorry if you thought I was directing that to you.
Fourth, you alone have 9 posts on pg 11 all concerning where to buy….circling back. Maybe a separate thread on the best place to buy a 5#10 would be more justified for your questions rather than an established one that holds true value to existing 5#10 owners.
Lastly, why get on the defensive so quickly. This is a friendly forum and we don’t need explosive people jumping down others throats when two opinions conflict. Relax! I am merely stating people read this thread and it’s good to see both sides of an opinion when you clearly prefer certain features like 2.4G in addition to a possible US dealer, free shipping, blah blah blah. We all prefer the most bang for our bang these days. You stated you just bought your first heli and thinking of getting a 5#10. That is great b/c they are great units to own but as the old saying goes “crap or get off the pot”. Maybe when you actually own a 5#10 or get some experience you can give us some material worth reading or even debating about.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Sturmgewehr

Maybe when you actually own a 5#10 or get some experience you can give us some material worth reading or even debating about.
Maybe you could stop trolling and stay out of this thread and my business. If you really paid attention here you would clearly see that bad400 and I were discussing a good place to make a purchase. Now please go away, I'm trying to be polite with you but you just don't get it. I'm not required to give YOU "material worth reading about", if your not interested in the particular subject matter move on.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:24 PM
bad400

hey strum
if you notice that cat only has 9 post`s dont eat into his experteze
just some one who like to hear himself talk they come and go around here
and it DOES MATTER WHERE YOU BUY A HELI,

xheli,nitroplanes,nitrorcx,and raidentech sell 3 and 4 string heli`s thats why their CHEAPER.not because they buy so many
these are all the returns and picked threw heli`s you may find one out of 7 that are good. do you want to take that chance i sure as heck dont,espiecaily when they charge YOU to return it
Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Sturmgewehr

hey strum
if you notice that cat only has 9 post`s dont eat into his experteze
just some one who like to hear himself talk they come and go around here
and it DOES MATTER WHERE YOU BUY A HELI,

xheli,nitroplanes,nitrorcx,and raidentech sell 3 and 4 string heli`s thats why their CHEAPER.not because they buy so many
these are all the returns and picked threw heli`s you may find one out of 7 that are good. do you want to take that chance i sure as heck dont,espiecaily when they charge YOU to return it
I did notice his post count, and unfortunately on forums like these we have to deal with these people from time to time. I try not to rush into anything I purchase anymore without doing a little research first. There are too many bad online stores out there and I don't like getting burned. I wish the places I have confidence in sold the 5#10's, but they don't.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:55 PM
adroc3905

# of posts does not justify the knowledge one holds in any hobby. You both became members in the same month I did if we are going to get technical. Does this mean your expertise is also questionable? I think all it means is you have more time than I to posts replies. Would you like a trophy?

Please by all means prove to me somehow that location I buy a 5#10 will determine the quality of the product? We are not talking about customer service....just the product.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:55 PM
bad400

did you check out helipal.com

ive bought from then many many of times with now problems

now the parts doesnt always come when i wont them to but i do get them and there always worth the waite
still its your cash but i do believe if you get the 5#10 from them you`ll be happy

just order another set of main gears sense it comes with 2 sets of blades and 2 batteries you be good to go
Old 01-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Sturmgewehr

did you check out helipal.com

ive bought from then many many of times with now problems

now the parts doesnt always come when i wont them to but i do get them and there always worth the waite
still its your cash but i do believe if you get the 5#10 from them you`ll be happy

just order another set of main gears sense it comes with 2 sets of blades and 2 batteries you be good to go
Thanks, I did check them out. Nice that it comes with extra blades/batteries.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:09 PM
bad400

no problem

i like the 5#10 it does fly nice
Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Rowboat

I just thought that I would add my 2 cents worth.
My first Heli was a Walkera 5#4; it flew straight out of the box. It would even fly with an 1800mah lipo (Just) for about 20 mins. It was very forgiving.

The 5#10 2.4 GHz was just the same except when it comes to the RX. I damaged my first RX in a crash. I have brought 3 new RXs since and I have had trouble with each one. Right now I would go back to the older 5#4, I had a lot more fun and less troubles when replacing new parts.
Has anyone else had trouble when replacing the RX?
I want to buy a new heli but I am thinking that the 5#10 is not such a good choice. [:@]
Old 02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Jdogga

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I bookmarked this awesome Walkera 5#10 thread from a while ago.
I have the 5#10 with the super skids, which worked great for a while.

However, recently, when I start off with a full battery and then start hovering, the more throttle I give it, it starts to spin right. So then I trim left to compensate.
The problem with this is, as soon as I decrease throttle again, it starts to spin the OTHER direction.

So it seems like it has different behavior according to how much throttle I am giving it, which essentially is grounding me since I have to pay attention to the trim the whole time.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jeremy
Old 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Rowboat

I have just brought a new 5#10 and have had about 15 flights so far. I find that with a full battery the heli will tend to spin anti clockwise. As the battery power runs low the heli will tend to spin in a clockwise direction. I am always compensating, or paying attention to the trim the whole time. Some times the TX and the Rx just won’t bind when you power up, and sometimes the lower motor just won't run at all.
When every thing is working this heli is a lot of fun.

Jdogga I think that you have a bad RX. You could try adjusting the sensitivity screw but I think that you have to buy a new RX If you dare or just put up with what you have. I have replaced the RX twice on my first 5#10 and each RX was faulty. That’s why I brought a new 5#10; it was the only way to guarantee that the heli would work.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Tedstrickland

I have four 5#10's, two use 2401 rx's, one uses the 2410 rx (upgrade) and one the 2411 (from 5G4Q3). Never had one fail. Two units were upgraded from the older 72MHz set-up's, with many flights..... If anyone is interested in a Walkera 72MHz tx & rx for cheap....please contact me.....

P.S. Sounds like the gyro sensitivity is not set right....on above post.....

P.S.S. Watch the weight on the 5#10. At 3.7V w/ the 130PH motors every gram hurts, and hastens the life of your motors.....

Ted
Old 02-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Jdogga

I do have the SuperSkids installed as the old ones kept breaking... the new skids also have the rubber donuts that make hard surface landing a snap.
How do you know when the motors are going?
I will check the gyro sensitivity and see if that does anything.

I can keep this thing in the air, but not without a lot of compensating for drift left/right, and especially the spinning that trim doesn't completely fix since it changes as I give it more throttle.

Thanks for the advice guys!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Tedstrickland

Super Skids are great, and Gary builds a super set of skids !!! I use them on my Walkera 53, Walkera 4G1b and my Trex 450's.

But, they are a bit heavy for the 5#10. Try the Walkera 53 LG or Gaui 200 V2 LG, with the Xtreme Productions 2.3mm skid nuts. This will alone give you about 2 extra minutes per flight, and un-load your motors a bit.

The 5#10 motors are probably good for 30-50 flights, depending on how you fly. Get a new pair (about $8.50) from ChineeseJade and swap them out. You should see a big difference. Also, add heat sinks (RotorFly 180 for rear and front, or Xtreme Prod # 180 for front)...to lengthen the life of your motor....

Happy Landings...... Dr. Ted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.