Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera 5#10

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:17 PM
GTX SlotCar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera 5#10

Mine spins right (requires full left trim) just before the battery runs out.
When I put a charged battery in the heli, I move the rudder trim back to the center. So, if my rudder trim is all the way left, I know the battery isn't charged and if it's centered, I know it is. It's how I remember from one day to the next.

Yes, the landing gear should be about 10mm taller (about 3/8"). On some carpets the tail fin can get caught with the stock gear. Our SuperSkids400 kit would probably fit the mounting screw holes on the 5#10, but they're designed for much larger helis and would probably look too big and I'm sure they're quite a bit heavier. It wouldn't tip over, though
Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Jdogga

ORIGINAL: GTX SlotCar

Mine spins right (requires full left trim) just before the battery runs out.
When I put a charged battery in the heli, I move the rudder trim back to the center. So, if my rudder trim is all the way left, I know the battery isn't charged and if it's centered, I know it is. It's how I remember from one day to the next.

Yes, the landing gear should be about 10mm taller (about 3/8"). On some carpets the tail fin can get caught with the stock gear. Our SuperSkids400 kit would probably fit the mounting screw holes on the 5#10, but they're designed for much larger helis and would probably look too big and I'm sure they're quite a bit heavier. It wouldn't tip over, though
This is exactly how mine performs. Thanks to this thread, I know to start the trims (minus the throttle) at center. Gradually I have to move the rudder trim all the way to the left until I hit the limit and I know the battery is about to die.

I can't wait to get new skids... right now I have no unbroken skids, and bananahobby has them on backorder. So I am heli-less for a few weeks until they get them in stock.
*sniff sniff*

SlotCar, let me know if you try the 400 kit on yours... if it works out ok you have a confirmed purchase with me!

Nice chatting with you all!
-Jdogga
Old 02-28-2008, 01:06 PM
GTX SlotCar

I shot a video where I'm flying the heli with one hand (throttle, rudder) and using the other hand to operate the camera. A bit tricky to do. I put a slight forward trim on the Tx.
I just noticed that I spelled Extreme wrong in the video []

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msw_siRjago
Old 02-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Jdogga

I'll have to check that later since I can't get youtube at work.

Impressive though... I am a super noob so I'm pretty sure I couldn't do that without having to order another set of skids. lol

-Jdogga
Old 02-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Jdogga

Nice video man!
You fly ultra smooth... I can't keep mine quite as still as you, but almost.
I would like to get this baby in a gym or other big room.
Otherwise a calm day will do.
Speaking of which, I think what makes this thing so hard to fly outdoors in the wind is due to its size and weight... is there a guide online for the different sizes of helis? For instance, which is a micro, what is a 30, 40, etc. I see these terms around, but I don't even know which one the 5#10 classifies as.

Just wondering. Thanks!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:04 PM
FlyingChica

nice vid, i am buying a second 5#10 as a back up from the chica at ka-planes.com , cool folks
Old 03-01-2008, 03:44 PM
GTX SlotCar

I found it hard to hold the Tx with one hand and operate the stick with the same hand. My other hand was operating the camera, so I couldn't use any cyclic input. I have some vids with the 5#10 buzzing around the office, but the camera is sitting in one place and they don't look good. I'll see if I can get my son to the office to do the camera work and post the vids if/when I get them. The 5#10 can move pretty quick.

I think the fuel helis go by engine size, so they'd be 30, 50 (or 60?) and 90. Maybe 1/4 scale or something, too. I don't get into them much.

Electrics used to go by motor size, too, but things did get complicated a bit. Mabuchi motors, 280 to 370 size are 300 size helis, and motors 380 and up were 400 size helis. Some 400 size had longer tail booms and could take longer main blades, so they ended up calling them 450 size helis.

I think it goes something like this, now.
Mini size, 400/450, T-rex, MX400, Walkera DF36, etc.
Micro size, 300, Esky HoneyBee, Walkera DF4, Blade CP etc.
Sub-micro, coaxial, Lama 2, 3 &4, Blade CX, 5#10, etc,
Sub-sub micro, the really tiny (palm size) coaxial helis. I think Walkera makes some.

There is no industry standard. A manufacturer can call his size whatever he likes.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Jdogga

Crap. Crap crap crap. *cry*
I just took my 5#10 outside to fly and I noticed that it was not getting airborne very easily.
I looked closely, and it looks like one of the gears is stripped pretty much completely.
It is plastic and it works with the metal gear on the engine, so I guess it is just a matter of time, but sheesh.
So I guess I will be ordering new gears too... $9 and who knows how long those will last.

Do other helis have all metal gears? It makes no sense to me why these are plastic...
I didn't wreck it or anything.

Oh well.
Suggestions? Someone want to give me a backrub while I cry? *tear*
Old 03-01-2008, 07:01 PM
GTX SlotCar

You'll have to get used to adjusting gear mesh so they won't wear too fast. The mesh can't be too tight or you'll burn out the motor (and overheat the battery). Too loose and they'll strip. You have to check it once in a while. Like tire pressure on your car.
Always, not just on helis, the pinion gear (on the motor) must be stronger material than the spur gear (on the main shaft). Otherwise, the pinion will wear out quickly. Yes, all helis have a plastic main gear and metal (usually brass) pinion. The exception would be cheap toys that may have a nylon pinion to save cost.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Jdogga

Thanks SlotCar I am learning a lot from you. Is there any guide to adjusting the gear mesh? As you know the Walkera 5#10 manual was only 2 double-sided pages.
I had a feeling about that... when the heli was off, I could turn the rotor and the motor gear would not turn (just on the bottom one though).
Looks like there is a good amount of screws to get the poor gear off too.

Thanks again!
Oh, and I refuse to give up. Every time I break something, it makes me want to fly more! *cry*
Old 03-02-2008, 01:05 AM
GTX SlotCar

With any helicopter you're going to break parts, even when you're an accomplished pilot. It's just part of the cost of flying. My crashes usually happen when I'm showing off for friends or family.

Some people use the accepted way of setting gear mesh by putting a piece of paper between the gears and using it as a spacing guide, then remove the paper when you're done. It's a good guide for beginners, but I don't use it myself. There are a lot of variables due to gear size, pitch, and paper thickness. Experience is the best teacher. Set them so that there is just a little play between the gears. On this size spur, maybe the outer edge of the spur should be able to move about 1/16" total while holding the pinion still. When it's set right, you can turn the gears by spinning the spur and they should move smoothly. It they're too loose, it'll bind a little in places. Too tight and they'll move hard. Also, spur gears are seldom perfect circles, so check the mesh all the way around the spur to make sure there are no tight spots. Always remember that gears don't break-in, they only wear out. Good gears are never better than when they're new.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:52 AM
Kelownan
My Feedback: (1)

Ok, think i have located the source of that ever rotation issue with the rudder. I noticed after my 10min flight last night that the resistor on the cicrcuit board above the front motor was excessively hot (nearly burned my finger) yet the other was warm. If you know electronics 101 then more heat = more resistance = less power. so one of the motors will recieve gradually less power over the flight time. Im gona go order me a new set of motors to check out my theory.

Also when i get the trim just right, Its starts weather vaneing (occelating left to right) any idea how to fix that?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:07 PM
zaw

I let my kids fly the 5#10 and they crashed a few time, now the main gears got a few missing teeths and needing replacement.

I search a few places online and could not locate the main gear. It seem to be out of stock every where. Any one know of a place or compatible gear set from any other heli? I'm looking at 5#5 gear set, it seem to be same as the 5#10.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Jdogga

This is the only place that has them in stock:
http://www.walkera.com.hk

I signed up for a wholesale account and ordered parts for my heli and it worked fine.
However, I have not received it yet but they are coming from China.
I ordered them on the 4th and the support people said that they shipped on the 7th and it takes 10-15 days to get it from them to America.

So, that is probably your best route.
For some reason, on the order form they have a place for your Social Security #. It is not required, but I don't have to tell you that you should NOT complete that field.

They seem legit though!
-Jdogg
Old 03-17-2008, 10:40 PM
chainen

Just got my 5#10 today. Ordered it from KA on Friday...received it on Monday...sweet. I had a Esky LLama 3 which was sacrificed for my learning purposes, but I have to tell you, this heli flies like a charm right out of the box. I had read differing accounts about Walkera and was a bit nervous, but I couldnt be happier with this purchase 3 flights in.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Jdogga

Yes I love it when it is working. Make sure to keep an eye on the gear mesh!! My parts should arrive today from China!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Jdogga

I just got my replacement landing gear, drive gears, and tail stabilizer. Installed them all in about 45 minutes and flew through two batteries outside!
I had this baby about 60 feet in the air, it was great.
I notice it is harder trying to get it to go forward outside though... maybe because the air is thinner? I was thinking about adjusting the sensitivity some.

Anyway I love this little bird... a great one to train on I think. Sometime in the next 6 months I think I will make an investment in a single rotor, bigger heli.

Just sharing my experiences...
Jdogg
Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Kelownan

Got hold of a Spectrum Dx6 today. cos the 2.4ghz transmitters offer alot of advantages. anyhow ive seen the new 2.4g recievers for these baby's so im off to get one.

Cos the other day i waked away with my bak to the heli and it spooled up by itself. also the stock Walkera trannies arnt that great.

got my dx6 from a local guy, $150 Last one left in stock

Anyone get some tail wag when the rudder trim is spot on? cos i get it for some reason.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:36 PM
GTX SlotCar

ORIGINAL: Jdogga
....I can't wait to get new skids... right now I have no unbroken skids, ....SlotCar, let me know if you try the 400 kit on yours...
I just tried the SuperSkids400 on my 5#10. Bolted right on with no modifications. They are 13 grams heavier than the stock landing gear. (That's about the weight of 2 sheets of printer paper.) The heli flew fine, but I haven't had to a chance to check flight times.
They are a lot bigger. I doubt anyone would have to worry about tipping over
Whether or not they look too big is going to be a personal matter. When I have a chance to measure flight times, I'll post them.
A couple pictures are blurry. Sorry about that.

[edit]
I forgot to mention, I used the shorter aluminum skids that come with our 3D kit. They're about 1" shorter, but the weight is about the same. The weight I gave is for the longer skids that come with the 400 kit.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52756.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	908607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97274.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	908608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21070.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	908609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19298.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	908610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq87576.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	908611  
Old 03-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Jdogga

ORIGINAL: GTX SlotCar

I just tried the SuperSkids400 on my 5#10. Bolted right on with no modifications. They are 13 grams heavier than the stock landing gear. (That's about the weight of 2 sheets of printer paper.) The heli flew fine, but I haven't had to a chance to check flight times.
They are a lot bigger. I doubt anyone would have to worry about tipping over
Whether or not they look too big is going to be a personal matter. When I have a chance to measure flight times, I'll post them.
A couple pictures are blurry. Sorry about that.

[edit]
I forgot to mention, I used the shorter aluminum skids that come with our 3D kit. They're about 1" shorter, but the weight is about the same. The weight I gave is for the longer skids that come with the 400 kit.
Oh man SlotCar, you are awesome.
I will order these right away. I just received replacement stock skids yesterday and I already broke them...
I managed to splint the broken leg with an old broken one I had, and I used super glue and some metal wire. I am back flying today but it is just a matter of time!

Thanks again man!

Nice pics btw!!
Old 03-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Kelownan

Ha Ha sweet thats awsome Gtx. Do you have superskids that would fit my Kyosho EP Caliber 400? cos then i would order a few.

Ps Jdogga how do you manage to break so many skids
Old 03-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Jdogga

ORIGINAL: Kelownan

Ha Ha sweet thats awesome Gtx. Do you have superskids that would fit my Kyosho EP Caliber 400? cos then i would order a few.

Ps Jdogga how do you manage to break so many skids
LOL Kelownan... it's my first heli and I am learning indoors around tons of obstacles, like the kitchen table, bedposts, half-walls, etc.

I have actually just broken two pair of skids. Right now the second one is limping along.

I ordered my set a few hours ago.

-Jdogg
Old 03-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Kelownan

How long ya been flying?

Ive been using mine on the back lawn. have made a nice landing pad for my 5#10 so i can take of from it.
Will post a pic when i can.

Ive been going safe for near 6months. 1st had a lama and sold it for this baby, is so much better i think.
has allot more power and very nimble.

I got given a 400 size heli. so just ordered the parts from Ka-planes. there awsome folks. but am trying to find
a 2.4ghz reciever for the 5#10 so i can use the spektrum dx6 when it arrives.

do u use a neck strap on your transmitter, it helps alot.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Jdogga

I got this heli about a month or so ago. Half that time it has been out of commission because I messed up one of the gears due to bad gear mesh after a crash I think.
Plus I broke two sets of landing gear and also the tail stabilizer and of course one or two blades.

No I don't use a neck strap yet.

What is the difference between 2.4ghz receiver and the one that the 5#10 comes with?

The Spektrum transmitter... I guess you bought that separate... was it worth it?
I guess you won't know until you get that all working.

Happy heli-ing... please post if you get all that working. I am thinking of buying a bigger heli in a few months once I get better with this one.

-jdogg
Old 03-21-2008, 03:43 AM
Kelownan

2.4gig technology is excellent its sort of like comparing broadband to dialup, y'now how sometimes when your moving arround and the heli starts spazzing. I turned my back to the heli the other day and it spooled up all by itself, scared the heck outa me cos it fell over and tore itself across the room.
the Spektrum dx6 and another more expensive models the dx6i dx7 and Futaba fasst transmitters all have 2.4gig outfits.

1 you dont have that long gumby arial on the heli and transmitter
2 none of the gliches yu get with the crystals
3 2.4ghz can have round 80 peopl flying in the same area without having to deal with inerferance. as in no waiting for some on to finish flying so you dont smash each others helis up.

I would defnately invest in one. the Dx6's are all gone now - replaced with the dx6i model but you can still find them.
Mike at ka-planes has them at a great price, you can buy 2.4gig addons that slot into the bit where the crystals sit but
thers not really any point doing that with a stock walkera transmitter.

the dx6 is also nice cos you can have 10 heli's and stoore the settings for each one in the memory.
also its high quality controls are much better than the walkera tranny so yould endup much better in the long run.
e.g the throttle stick for the stock 5#10 radio s ratcheted and it slides round to easy, the dx6 is nice smoth movement like a
nice PC joystick and it stays where you put it really well.
In saying that i would recomend a neck strap so you wont be worried about dropping the radio and focus more on flying it allows for more precice control too.

Ive yet to locate a reciver for the 5#10 but will let you know when i get it setup

also have posted some pics of the heli pad. was a beaut day today so i spent some practice time taking off and landing on it.
also my 400 size heli aswell. will be a week or 2 before i get the parts from Ka planes. but woud need to make a bigger pad for the Caliber 400, as you can see

Ill tell ya how to make the helipad if you like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23546.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	909270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93206.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	909271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51890.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	909272  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.