Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera 5#10

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Jdogga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera 5#10

Cool man... I think I'll go 2.4ghz then when I get the next one.

In regards to your 5#10, what is that I see on your landing gear? Is that a repair?? :P
Old 03-21-2008, 12:31 PM
GTX SlotCar

ORIGINAL: Kelownan

Ha Ha sweet thats awsome Gtx. Do you have superskids that would fit my Kyosho EP Caliber 400? cos then i would order a few.
The SuperSkids400 may fit. If you can tell me the distance between mounting holes and the height of the landing gear (in mm or inches), I can get a good idea if they'll fit.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44681.gif
Views:	7
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	909522  
Old 03-21-2008, 01:16 PM
GTX SlotCar

ORIGINAL: Jdogga
....I have actually just broken two pair of skids. Right now the second one is limping along.

I ordered my set a few hours ago.

-Jdogg
Your order was sent out right after you placed it. I usually like to pack the orders myself (it's just one of the things I enjoy), but I didn't pack yours. If I had noticed it, I may have put a hold on it because I haven't had a chance to check out the flight times yet. So, if you have a problem with very short flights, let me know and I'll make things right.

It looks like I won't be able to do any testing for a while. My 5#10 is spinning right and the trim won't stop it. I have to hold the stick. This happens even without landing gear.
Since one motor is pulling a lot more than the other, it has to be slowed down (the other can't go any faster) to match the other motor speed, and that means a lot less lift.
The front motor is the one runnng slow (about 1/3 the power of the rear motor), but the problem doesn't appear to be the motor. If I plug that motor into the other channel, it runs fast and the other one runs slow. I even tried reversing the running direction of the motors, but they still behave the same. So, the problem appears to be in the 4in1. When (if) I have time, I'll open it up and see if there's a trimmer to put more bias to the front motor, but it's not likely to have one. The 4in1's for these helis is pretty expensive compared to others ($50), so I'm not likely to get a new one when I have so many other helis to fly. Most coaxial helis run on 2 cell LiPos, not single cell, so I don't know if there is enough voltage to run a Lama 4in1 (for example), or even a separates system. A fully charged cell at 4.2v may run the 4in1, but when the voltage drops, I'm not sure it there will be enough power. Also, the 5#10 has one motor mounted upside down, so they both run in the same direction. Most coaxials have both motors right side up and one runs in a reverse direction. To use a Lama 4in1, the rudder motor would have to be plugged in reversed, and probably the rudder switch would have to be reversed. The problem with this is that the gyro might work backward and just set the heli into a spin. I may be able to overcome this by mounting the 4in1 upside down (or backward) to change the direction of the gyro. Lots of maybe's and if's. I have a Lama 2 and a Lama 4. The Lama 2 (like the Lama3) has a smaller 4in1. The Lama 4 has a larger one, but the gyro locks great on it. With the Lama 4 you can punch full throttle and the heli doesn't turn (spin), not even a little. If I switch to an Esky 4in1, I could also use my Hitec Eclipse 7 radio. It won't work with the 5#10 4in1. I probably wouldn't bother with all this except that the 5#10 is so cute and "cool".

Old 03-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Jdogga

Man you know a lot about this stuff.

I eagerly await the skids... thanks again for your efforts on this.

I think I have the gear mesh right now... I adjusted the mesh by unscrewing the two screws on the motor where I had to replace the drive gear and it meshes just like the other one now.

I agree with you... the 4-in-1 must not be so hot on the 5#10 since, like others, we have to trim it something fierce near the end of battery life to keep it from spinning.
I hope mine doesn't totally wig out like yours did.

My mom originally bought me a Megatech Housefly II from Hammacher Schlemmer for $300 (not including extras)... which I ignorantly let the neighbor kid fly and he smashed it immediately. Even though Hammacher has awful prices, they accepted it as a return so now I have a $300 heli budget.

I bought the Walkera 5#10 after much research on my own, and I love the bling!

But in the next few months I will probably be shopping again... so far I am leaning towards the 2008 Esky 6 CH Belt-CP.

Of course I want to stop breaking stuff before I go buying a six channel, single rotor heli.

Nice chatting with you.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
mikek0416

that is awesome that the superskids 400 fit the 5#10. Superskids are great products!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Kelownan
My Feedback: (1)

Yea the Belt CP is a beaut machine. They have the upgraded CP with all the CNC allu upgrades t my local hobby store, i would have grabbed on only if it wasnt for the outrageously over the top prices, i would recomend getting it from mike's website.

The SuperSkids400 may fit. If you can tell me the distance between mounting holes and the height of the landing gear (in mm or inches), I can get a good idea if they'll fit.
the mounting holes are 30mm between them and about 50mm for the height of the skids. that'll be great if they do fit.
Also GTX can i call on your superlative wisdom. im was thinking of doing some modifictions to the 5#10's motors.
I originally thought the board atop the motors had little resistors on it and the heat was racking up too many ohms. i measured the front one after a flight and i burned my finger. it clocked up 4ohms per "resistor" instead of 1ohm on cold start up.

After looking at a few other helis, they're not resistors are they. most helis have 3 small ceramic capacitors soldered into the top.
correct me if im wrong but that shouldnt be happening, yes? (capacitors arent supposed to flare up like that)

I didnt know that coaxials needed a gyro i presumed that was what the stabiliser bar was for, albeit the 4in1 does little drift calulations i guess so erm,,,,

the 5#10 may have enough space for a 2cell lipo i think but i maybe worried about the heat.

What about retrofitting a Lama 4 onto a 5#10 frame. would be a bit expensive wouldnt it.
Or some of the older Walkera Coaxials of the same size.

Or one could consider whacking in a resistor todrop the power to the back motor.

But im not sure if that would work if its the onboard gyro that is the source of the problem

Just thinking out loud here.......
Old 03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Jdogga

SlotCar,

Just wanted to thank you for the totally awesome skids... they are definitely worth the price, and the silicone rings to prevent sliding on solid surfaces is also amazing.
Your shipping was great too... I ordered on Thursday afternoon and received it on SATURDAY.
Not bad for a trip down the east coast to NC!

I have flown outdoors and inside for four battery chargers with no damage so far.
I crashed hard after a gust of wind... I managed to make it to a neighbor's grass yard, but she took a spill from about 30' diagonally into the grass.
NO DAMAGE!
The skids are so worth it because, as long as the heli isn't totally out of control, the skids are the first thing to hit so they should be heavy duty.

In my opinion, no 5#10 or for that matter no heli is complete without this upgrade.

Will post pics or vids later.

Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:16 PM
CalvinLynn.com
Banned

We have the new Walkera 5#10 with 2.4G TX and RX please come to check us out at www.calvinlynn.com they are very new we are the first one have them. Thank you
Old 03-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Kelownan

ORIGINAL: CalvinLynn.com

We have the new Walkera 5#10 with 2.4G TX and RX please come to check us out at www.calvinlynn.com they are very new we are the first one have them. Thank you
Dude thats Awsome. I will definately get some. do you sell the 2.4gig Rx by itself?

Ive got a friend who flies Helis. (he is a heli engineer ha ha) and he swapped me a Dx6 for the Futaba 6ex Fasst set. told it was better. the older a6000 recivers go a bit funky with certain orientations.
so i want a reciever that'll work on my Caliber ep too. The futaba D606 i believe.

Walkera NZ has the 2.4 gig 5#10 on pre order but doesnt stock any parts[] for the 5#10 so figgure that one out.

By the way Jdogga, The "fix" on the skids is something i rigged up when i had the trainer gear attached. untill i found that the 5#10 flies beautifully without them.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 PM
zippitydoda

So is the SuperSkids400 worth the price, or do they break just as easy as the stock skids?
I have gone through about 4 sets of skids and need to replace them again[]
I do not want to spend $15 if its not worth it

Thanks, Todd
Old 04-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Jdogga

Default RE: Walkera 510

Dude the SuperSkids is WAY worth it. Once you buy these skids, you will just break OTHER parts on the heli.
I have bent the metal skids a few times, but the framework that holds them is so super strong, and absorbant of impact that it is not a problem.
I have just bent them back a few times. I bent them only in major hard crashes.

Trust me, they are worth every penny. The stock skids are just flawed by design.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:25 PM
CalvinLynn.com
Banned

We do have have part for 510 and go to www.calvinlynn.com or let me know what part you need I will find them foy you.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Kelownan

Hi guys.

Thats cool that the superskids work well.
I got told i want trying hard enough if im not having to replace parts lol. easy for him to say but i much prefer control over flashy gimmicks. sure u agree. Still ive been pushing myself. flying it outside for one and theres lotsa things to takeoff and land on. so im bound to break something soon. still suprised the blades havnt busted.

Just my dads Cabbages

finished my big bird so you can check it out in my profile.

Been with my flying buddy a few times and he says his Lama 4 does the spinning thing and its a problem on all Coaxial helis (cheap ones anyhow)

When i get the time ill grab another airframe and mod it to fit the lama parts and let you in on how it goes.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:30 PM
DocBob

I received 3 of the Walkera 510's (2.4 gHz) from Hong Kong (eHirobo.com) last week (I order extras as I've had problems with some units not working). Indeed, two of the units worked fine (great control with the new 2.4gHz trans/rec), but one unit has a nagging, low frequency (2x/sec) tail wag. Adjusting the sensitivity on the 4 in 1 gyro unit only changes the frequency and extent of the wag. Any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2008, 06:16 AM
Kelownan

Mine does that too when i get the rudder trim just right, i guess its either some vibration or the gyro.
if you remember this metal amplifies vibration but carbon fibre dampens it.
but im not sure how to fix it.
I want to fix some rubber grommits to the blade grips and see if that has any effect.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:04 AM
helikiller

I purchased a Walkera HM5 #10 and the first thing I did was put a set of SuperSkid 400's on the little coax. They fit in L2/R2 with no problems. The only thing I did was cut an 1.5" off the skid length and glued the plugs in with CA. If you've got these skids on your 5 #10 you can throw your training gear away. Just about as close to perfect as a product can get. I'd like to know if the skids from the 300 SuperSkids will fit the 400"s so I can buy some replacements just in case.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 AM
helikiller

Well I finally got a nice calm day and got a chance to really fly my HM5 #10. I've been flying it indoors for about three weeks, of I'm a real nubie at this helicopter stuff. Anyway I charged up all my battery packs and took to the field in front of the house. This little coax is really a lot of fun. Once I got it trimmed and hovered for a little I got really brave and got so air, 12-15' and did some forward flight and a couple of figure 8's brought it back down to about 6' and did some fast spins in both directions, made it through the first battery with nothing broken. Turned it over to my son who has never flown anything more complicated than a Reflex and he was hovering tail in after about three mins. This is really a good beginners heli. Even though it has some little issues with the electronics and it could use somemore battery life it's well worth the $120 price tag and with the SuperSkids it's really pretty durable. The blades are a bit weak, however I discocvered the Extream Blades for the Lama 3/4 fit the Walkera and are much more durable. I'm going to get Mike, Jr. at Ka-Planes to send me a couple of sets and try them. They are more of an airfoil than the stock blades and should produce more lift at a lower rpm. Maybe this will extend the battery life past the 7-8 mins I am getting now. The only other issue I have is the way the gearing is exposed, if you tip the little coax on its' side the gears can take a lot of abuse and they are the most expensive thing you expect to break. I think I'm going to design me a little plastic cover to protect them. We flew through all three battery packs without a major mishap and it's really a blast to fly outdoors where you can fly without the ceiling fans and other indoor hazzards. Just don't try to fly it if there is ANY wind.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:10 PM
esmoglo

Well I got one! It is a cool heli I must say. I got it from http://www.ka-planes.com as per the referral on this sight. Now I have 10 flights in and am having a trim problem after about 3 to 4 min into the flight. I have the rudder trim all the way to the left to keep it from yawing. Once is it set it is ok and will maintain a level and straight for the most part, sometimes I need to also put in a little stick to make it stay straight even with the rudder trim all the way to the left. Is there an adjustment I can make? I also lost the canopy bar..UGH! Now were can I get one?? ka-planes did not have any. Do you get one why you buy a new canopy?

Thanks,
Angelo
Old 05-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Kelownan

Yep all cheap coaxials do that. its something to do with one moter heating up faster + the battery level, if you remember your electronics prinipals more heat = more resiastance. i guess until they develop smaller outrunners or nitro cooling systems then us guys have to deal with it.
you get used to it after a while.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:02 AM
AZheli

I've been looking around, considering getting a 5#10 due to the sturdy-looking construction, + my previous good experiences with Superskids. What size motors are used? Will the Lama/CX2 motor upgrades fit?

After flying several Lama v3 & v4's to the point where I don't break many parts anymore (just wear them out), a new heli that doesn't require any spares beyond the usual blades, is what I'm looking for.

Does the 5#10 fly better outdoors than the Lamas? I can fly them ok in a slight breeze, but often I'll fly downstream & am unable to fight the wind enough to return to me.

Also, who has reasonably priced batteries in stock?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:40 AM
Kelownan

Yea the walkera is cool outdoors. i do it all the time. the superskids are an awsome addon to an allready supreme lil heli.
and i have even flown her in a some lite wind, since you can fly a lama youll be an ace. I dont know if the lama's motors would work as
the 5#10 has 130ph brush motors and the lipo is a single cell 3.7v. so think it maybe underpowered.

Im intrested in making some mods to mine and having it house some bigger motors and the lamas 2 cell lipo.

as far as battries i deal with mike at Ka-planes, not sure about the price but he has great service
Old 05-27-2008, 08:36 AM
helikiller

You might want to check these guys out. I purchased these to install in my HM5 #10, I haven't received them yet but they are the same dimensions as the stock battery. You'll have to buy some 37mm heat shrink to protect the battery and the male connectors to solder to the tabs. They are 15C and a little higher capacity than the stock battery. Should see an improvement in power and flight time. I'll let you know how it works out.

Lipo 1100mah 3.7V Loose Cell
http://www.maxamps.com/index.php

1100mah Capacity
3.7 Volts
34mm X 64mm X 6mm
Maximum Continuous Discharge 16.5 amps
26 grams
Great lightweight cells that have nickel tabs on both the positive and negative side for easy soldering.

Email Friend
List Price: $12.99
Price: $9.99
10.49 CAD | 4.94 GBP | 7.28 EUR
Old 05-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Butters

Is this the correct pack?

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-1100-Cell.htm

thanks,
James
Old 05-27-2008, 02:37 PM
helikiller

That's the cells that I bought. Like I said, I haven't received mine yet, but according to the guys at MaxAmps they should work and give the HM5 #10 more power and a longer flight time. You've got to put your own connectors on the cells and put some kind of a protective covering on them. I bought some large heat shrink to try. I'll let you know how it works out. This might be of interest. The Xtreme blades for a Lama 3/4 are supposed to work with the HM5 #10. They are hard blades and way more durable than the stock Walkera blades. Xtreme says they give more lift at lower RPM, I ordered a set from Kaplanes, we'll see how they work, they are $ 4.00/pair but they may be worth it.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Butters

helikiller,

Are these the ones you bought?

http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/4577
http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/4578

thanks,
James

I would love carbon blades, dare to dream.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.