Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

WALKERA 4#3B 2.4Ghz Metal Upgraded Edition Helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

WALKERA 4#3B 2.4Ghz Metal Upgraded Edition Helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WALKERA 4#3B 2.4Ghz Metal Upgraded Edition Helicopter

joizeex,

Yes, you're right but I anticipated that. Notice that I've installed the tail rotor from the 4#3Q which is 58mm diameter instead of the original, stock, 48mm. This, plus a longer boom will give more authority for better, stronger control of the tail. And just in case the load on the motor will be too much, I did trim it with a bit more sweep-back.

But again, in my opinion, the stock 4#3Q is the Frankenstein monster. Erratic, hard to control and unpredictable. The only deviation from Frankie's monster is that it's real pretty to look at.

I thought that the Picco's secret to stability was the offset flybar. So I went and modified the Picco's flybar to run at 90 degrees to the main blades, as pictured. From a hand launch, it would be quite stable but after a few seconds, it would suddenly go into into a wounded chicken configuration and wildly flop to the ground. Time and again, this would happen. Forget about taking off from the ground. Like a decapitated chicken, it would immediately flop around on the ground, getting no air time at all.

Convinced that that was the secret, I ordered a new head and shaft for modification to mimic the Picco's configuration. But then, I stumbled on the Micron V2 and have seen the videos. Far more stable by the look of it but it gets that by using a conventional flybar orientation.

The Micron has a bare bones kit which I've ordered. I have a spare Rx and both motors from the Walkera. I can install 3.5 gram servos and the Walkera parts and fly the Micron with the very attractive and effective Walkera Tx. Interesting to note is that the micron uses two packs in series for a 7.4 volt system. Can a higher blade speed be the secret?? If the Micron shows potential, it'll be getting a brushless motor.

Now THAT you can call Frankenstein's monster any day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70165.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1154126  
Old 03-10-2009, 08:04 PM
HansV

ORIGINAL: joizeex

angels, demons, now trolls? come on! 4 posts and 2 of them are ads.

Andy, that's a nice lil Frankenstein monster you have there. you might not get as much tail response though because the closer the tail rotor is to the downwash from the main rotor, the more effective it is. but it might be a small difference only.

Hans, you have got to tell me about those servos and swash configuration on that Creata! it's been bugging me.
Well, the Creata is not as complicated and strange as I first thought. It basically have 4 servos:
1) Aleron (left side of the heli)
2) Tail
3) Pitch (below the heli)
4) Elevator (on the right side of the heli)
The elevator servo is connected via a push rod to something like a "pivot link" (not sure what to call it). This strange "pivot link" is then connected to the front and back of the swash plate. It is a little hard to see on the picture.

/Hans.

Name:	Yv65847.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1154763  
Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 AM
joizeex

woo hoo! i was right about the underside servo being pitch...i still got it! lol what you described is definitely mCCPM like on my Evo50. i forget what that dual link for elevator is called, but it's basically standard for mCCPM. seems like a well made lil heli.

Andy, looks like you got your config on the 4#3B pretty well figured out, hopefully you'll get the result you're looking for. I think the reason for the offset flybar on the picoo Z is due to the specific phase angle at which precession acts on only that particular heli. I'm not that knowledgeable about physics involved.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
HansV

Sorry off topic. I just posted a vid of my new Creata. Took it outside even though it is quite gusty. Man, it is a great flyer!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hogUEjdm47I

Nothing much going on here. Did you all stop flying your 4#3Bs?

/Hans.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:44 PM
AndyW

Well, in fact, I was able to fly mine the other day, with the mods I made, at a local gym. With lots more room and no wind, I was able to get it in a hover and actually keep it there for more than 3 or 4 seconds. The question is, did my mods make any difference or is it that I had more room to get a handle on it?

Meanwhile, the Micron V-2 came in and I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality and some of the design features. One in particular which leads me to believe that I was on the right track after all. We'll see.

This version of the Micron, is bare bones. You get the motors and the rest of it but no radio gear or batteries. The motor has finer windings, it seems as it doesn't "jog" as strongly as the Walkera motor. This accounts, I guess, for the fact that the one uses a single Li-Po and the other uses two.

When I first got my 4#3B, the tail wouldn't behave and I thought it was the Rx. So I got me another and that wasn't it. As it turned out, it was some wiring in the Tx. So I have this spare Walkera Rx and 3.6 gram servos and the single LiPos and spare Walkera motor and voilÃ*, I have the Micron hybrid ready to go. NOT. The first lift off was a whirling dervish. The tail motor is different and does not put out enough power to do much of anything on a single cell. So I have a Walkera tail motor bracket on order. I should have also got a Walkera body, the Micron's is a little plain.

Anyway, there's a new design feature with the Micron that has me feeling a bit vindicated. I don't want to say more till I have a chance to test it all out.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM
HansV

Hi Andy. Happy 2000 posts and nice to hear from you again!

Yes, I remember your TX problems with the 4#3B and how you soldered new wires in to make it work. I am starting to think that maybe you got a lemon [&o]

I have been looking at the Micron V2 quite some times but mainly the RTF package. From what I read and the videos it seems to wobble quite a lot and seem to be all over the place. If you get a (good) 4#3B it should be able to hover dead stable on the spot, so that made me think that you probably got a bad one that got damage during shipment (or maybe is was produced Friday afternoon).

Again, congrats with the 2000 posts,
Hans.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:24 PM
JakeFortune

I read this forum front to back. It sounded like a great heli, so I decided to order the 4#3B, brushless. It came last night and I managed to get a couple of good flights in. The tail stopped working after one particularly meaningful crash. Thanks to all the info in this forum, I knew exactly what to do. Less than 5 minutes later, I was back in the air. I get some good hovers and some not so good hovers. I've flown a few times this evening and am waiting for the battery to recharge.

So far, the canopy is broken, landing gear tweaked, and the kickstand for the tail is completely gone. I broke one blade, but will try to glue it together. I had a replacement, so no real problem.

New blades, motors, and extra batteries are on the way. So far, this thing is a kick in the pants!

Thanks for all the great information!

Don
Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 AM
JakeFortune

Darn! I've got about three battery packs worth of flight time and the tail motor is Phhhhtttt. I've got a new one on order, but there has got to be a better solution than swapping tail motors every three or four packs. Has anyone found a suitable tail motor for this little beastie?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
robtangie
My Feedback: (2)

Really??? Tail motors normaly last for a couple hundred flights. Has it completely stopped working? Have you checked for a break in the wire or some other problem???
Regards,
Rob.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
mattconn24

yea the tail motors last a really long time.... You need to check and make sure that there are no bad connections.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:03 PM
AndyW

ORIGINAL: JakeFortune

Darn! I've got about three battery packs worth of flight time and the tail motor is Phhhhtttt. I've got a new one on order, but there has got to be a better solution than swapping tail motors every three or four packs. Has anyone found a suitable tail motor for this little beastie?
My problems with the tail rotor turned out to be the connectors in the Tx. Get inside and plug them in and out and see if you get the tail rotor working. If so, just hard wire both stick assemblies to make sure the same thing isn't going on with the other stick.

Name:	Zx71124.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1167146  
Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
JakeFortune

Thanks for the replies. I found that if I give the tail a little push to help it spin up, it works for a short time, then stops again. I inspected the wiring and it looks okay, but I didn't check with a meter. The TX appears to give the proper signals (after I push the motor to get it going I tried inputs and it worked as it should for a short while, then stopped again). I'm a little short on electrician skills, so even if I open the TX up, I'm not certain I will be able to figure it out. I have another TX I can bind to, so I'll give that a try to eliminate/identify the TX as the problem. The tail feathers spin easily if I blow on them, so it isn't the gears binding. My new motor should be here by tomorrow. I'll swap it out and see if that works. I may try a little lube in the motor first to see if it is just hung up on itself.

Can't complain too much though. I was smiling so much when I was flying that my face started to hurt! This thing is fun!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:09 PM
JakeFortune

Success! Two drops of light oil and a few minutes for it to work in was all it took. The rear motor is now spinning up as it should. Still gonna replace it though ... it's a little "twitchy." I'll keep the original as a backup. Glad it wasn't anything too serious! Thanks again for all of your tips. Great forum!

A couple hours later ...

The fix was short lived. The motor spins up and dies. I give it a push and it runs again for a few moments and stops. I'm pretty certain this motor is shot. I'll see what happens when I get the replacement in.

Next day ....

I got my new motor in today. Installed it and the little beastie was back in business. Went through two battery packs (why does charging take so long?) and am just waiting for the batteries to recharge for my next series of flights ... er ... crashes!
Old 03-30-2009, 04:14 AM
sanjayelixir

Hello
I am new to this forum. joined today only.
Can anyone give me the address of few good shops in/ around KANSAS (Garden City) where i can purchse WALKERA #38 CHINOOK COAXIAL HELICOPTER

Thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 07:30 PM
HansV

Hey Don, get a couple of spare packs (OEMs) from WOW for around 10 bucks as far as I remember. Some evenings when I get going I work myself through quite a line of packs

/Hans.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 AM
One Mile Up

Hey all -
I'll keep this short and sweet.... The time has come for me to move on (getting out of heli's for awhile), my wife and I are having a baby and I'm not going to have enough time for all of my hobbies - so this one has to go.

I am wanting to sell my bird and all the spares (which is ALOT of stuff) as it is just sitting around collecting dust. The bird is not stock anymore, I have added - 4#3Q main blades, and tail rotor - 1/4 inch longer tail boom, longer flybar (with new weights) this made the heli fly WAAAAAAY better and more stable, I also have the swashplate stand-off but never got around to installing it (the flybar kit and the swashplate kit were bought from MIA), and almost enough spares to build another helicopter. Oh, I have the aluminum case as well.... all is in perfect working order of course!

OK long enough post - If you or someone you know might be interested in a RTF 4#3B, please shoot an e-mail to [email protected] and we can talk...

Thanks a bunch guys!

~ Darryl

*EDIT*
This has been sold locally, Thank you!
Old 05-05-2009, 05:12 PM
chevypower1930

Hey everyone!! So I finally got my little heli back in the air... after messing up the tail boom pretty bad I screwed up where the tail boom inserts into the fuselage so I had to get a new frame, new tail motor wires, tail boom... got it all put back together last week and have been having fun again! Love this little helicopter haha, I also grabbed THREE BATTERIES for 9 dollars shipped! thank god for Ebay...
Old 05-08-2009, 02:37 PM
klaze

How can I tell if a 4#3b is a V2 or not before I buy it from a shop?

Any markings on the box? I don't really trust the shop to tell me.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:32 PM
chevypower1930

Klaze I don't remember what my box looked like but the v2 is the metal upgraded head....
Old 05-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Rogue Sub

Hey all,

I picked one of these bad boys up after flying my mcx around the house and it is fantastic. I have been trying to learn how to fly my axe cp but the weather never cooperates. This little devil is finally giving me the training I require with a much lower repair bill! Hovered on the 3rd battery to boot. Only problem I have seen so far is that the main motor sucks. Ive read through nearly all of this post but have not seen a good replacement besides stock or a BL setup. Has anyone found a more reliable motor for these things yet? I have about 15 packs through my monster and it is rapidly loosing power. I always limit my flights to 7 min but, the motor is boiling hot at the end. Ordered two more stock motors and one of the heat sink posted earlier in this thread.
Also my heli flies great but my tail isn't compensating enough for the rotor head regardless of how much trim I put in, I still have to maintain the tail or I spin. I am making sure to center the trim before start up as well. Is there a way to adjust the gain of the gyro? Also the tail twitched back and forth during operation. Any hints?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:18 PM
mattconn24

Nuke,

there are a few things that could cause your tail problem...

Tail motor on it's way out "this should only happen after many many flights or you could have just gotten a bad one"

Which way is it spinning? is it to powerful or to weak??

If it is too weak then you will need to get a longer tail boom to gain tail athurity or it could be the connection. "which may be the case if it is twitching as you said"
If it is too strong then you can always make the tail boom shorter.

That is the only way to adjust the gain on these helis...

Matt
Old 05-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Rogue Sub

So its not going to be due to vibration or anything. it would seem like I need more tail boom then. if it just cant keep up. I see the q version has a larger motor has anyone gotten more authority by using that motor on their b version?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:46 PM
HansV

Hey Nuke

You could also get one from the BL upgrade. The tail motor is a little stronger. I am afraid that a longer tail boom will only help you for a shory while. I think that Matt is right and you have a dying tail motor. How many flights do you have on it? I usually go through a tail motor for every 100 flights or more. Main's don't last long, but I usually get 40 flights out of them. Now I fly with a BL main.

There is no plug-n-play alternative to the mains so that is the reason for so many people going brushless. I think that Heli Style managed to get carbon brushes, but it requires a lot of work to do that.

/Hans.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:28 AM
Rogue Sub

I only have about 20 flight so far. The tail will hold if I provide input but that is the only way. The tail still wags though.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:37 PM
klaze

Walkera is now promoting a new double brushless model including a brushless tail motor..

I wonder when we will see upgrade kits for this?

http://www.walkera.com/en1/particula...64%233bALL0104

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.