Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

My WDF4 conversion has gone brushless.

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

My WDF4 conversion has gone brushless.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:14 PM
MASJO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My WDF4 conversion has gone brushless.

I have just completed my WDF4 brushless upgrade. Interested in viewing a Full step by step photo upgrade, click the following link to my personal RC website. Video link on the second page.

[link]http://tnim.bravehost.com/wdf4blug_stage1.html[/link]
Old 09-19-2008, 01:33 AM
ausaero

Default RE: My WDF4 conversion has gone brushless.

G'day mate!

Great job on the mod. Am also thinking of going brushless. Did you get your powerzone converter locally? What pinion are you using?

Cheers

Ausaero
Old 09-19-2008, 11:41 AM
MASJO

I ordered the powerzone from the US. US$27.00 and US$4.00 P&H. Took one week to arrive. Reliable source. Answers all emails.

Details here. [link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430386[/link]

You will need to register to contact the vendor and make nessesary arrangements. I have made a final adjustment to the mod. The pinion is now 10t on a Orca 3400KV. I have added a final pic on the last page with details.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Rattlecat

I use this motor, but put a better steel pinion on, a 10t. This motor starts well, runs slowly well, has a very low no load current draw, and runs cool. I have over 400 flights on it.
I switched to 2 cell lipos, the 900mah from Deal Extreme because they are light and cheap. The tail looses a small bit of power but the life has tripled to over 180 8 1/2 minute flights.
The DF4 is only a lightweight simple trainer anyway, so I just use it for simple care free flying.
The ESC that came with the motor blew some FET's so I replaced them with Fairchild FET's and have had excellent results. Any 10g 12 amp or greater would work well. I measured 9 amps max average draw, but it probably peaks higher, so the 12 to 15 amp is a good idea.
The motor shaft is really 2mm, not 2.3mm as advertised.

The motor/esc :

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...-V4/Categories

My mod :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801848

CH
Old 09-20-2008, 12:42 AM
MASJO

Chophop just to clarify, are you talking about the EK5 0004 brushless motor? This is the motor I purchased. I had trouble with this motor on both heli's. Also it is a 2.3mm shaft.

cheers
Old 02-22-2009, 03:58 AM
MASJO

Since posting this thread I have now gone brushless on the tail. See Paralleling a second ESC Brushless tail http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8475075
Old 03-23-2009, 05:42 PM
dchin62973

Let's see a video of the heli. Do some spins and high speed flying on this modified heli. Here is a video of a modified Exceed Falcon 40/Walkera #4 using an 11.1v LIPO with a brushless main motor.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm2KxbxoMNM[/youtube]

Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 PM
HansV

Hey Dane. It looks like a DF4 on steroids It seems quite agile and capable. I always had a lot of vibrations after 20 seconds of flight and it seemed that every time I pushed the throttle the vibes immediately appeared. I replaced the complete rotor system and blades but it is still not quite enough. Blades and rotor thead are balanced. How do you manage to keep the blades aligned with that much power?

/Hans.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:04 PM
HansV

...and by the way, that is the kind of flying I love to watch

/Hans.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 PM
dchin62973

ORIGINAL: HansV

Hey Dane. It looks like a DF4 on steroids It seems quite agile and capable. I always had a lot of vibrations after 20 seconds of flight and it seemed that every time I pushed the throttle the vibes immediately appeared. I replaced the complete rotor system and blades but it is still not quite enough. Blades and rotor thead are balanced. How do you manage to keep the blades aligned with that much power?

/Hans.
The Exceed Falcon 40/Walkera #4/DF#4 is modified with a main brushless motor. The tail motor remains the standard carbon brushed motor. With regards to vibration, that can come from many sources. Most of the vibration lies within the rotor assembly. Most of the vibration comes from the plastic rotor head core. Because it is plastic, it will eventually break upon an light crash or just start to crack upon prolonged flying. If you replace it with a metal rotor core than vibration is quickly reduced. The onl metal rotor core are made by Simon. They require the black plastic pivot and two collars from the old broken plastic rotor core.

You need this metal rotor core especially if you decide to do the 11.1v LIPO modification and or the brushless main motor modification. The higher RPM really needs a metal core as the plastic core will wear out quickly and hence vibration will set in again.

P.S.: Nice Creata video