Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

53Q3 parts/build quality?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Fly-a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 53Q3 parts/build quality?

I'm in the market for my first RC heli and am looking to get the Walkera 53Q3.

I have been warned off buying Walkera helicopters as some people here in Australia have had bad experiences with them. I suspect that this advice may be based on older models, and aren't necessarily relevant to current models. The large coaxials seem to be relatively new, and are not very popular here in Australia, so I'm after advice from people that have experience with these large coaxials, in particular the 53Q3.

The recommended alternative was the Blade CX3. So how does the 53Q3 compare to the CX3 in terms of quality of electronics/parts?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Mr.Roberts

Default RE: 53Q3 parts/build quality?

I happen to have a 53Q and i find it to be reliable and stable. Also it does not suffer from blade strikes like the blade cx.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Fly-a

Thanks for the reply Mr.Roberts.

I just got a 53Q3 yesterday. It's a very nice looking heli, but I am having trouble with actually getting it to fly. It will power up OK for the first 30 seconds or so, and then the top rotor will stop spinning. I have never been able to get a decent flight in yet. This frustrates me so. I have unplugged and re connected all the connections, as was suggested in another forum, but that didn't help too much. I suspect that once the electronics get a little warm, it doesn't like it. Hopefully I haven't got a dud.

I will have to contact the retailer and ask them what they think. The helicopter had a cracked vertical stabiliser from shipping too, and they have emailed me back asking what I would like done to rectify the situation. I don't really want to go to the hassle of sending it back, but it may be my best option if I can't figure out this electrical bug...
Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 PM
heliaction

It powers up for 30sec or so then looses rpm, if you let it sit for a bit and then try again will it do the same thing? What im trying to say is could it be the battery? If you loose power and then have to recharge, it could be either battery or charger.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Fly-a

Nah, def. not the batteries. I have 3 - all are the same voltage and capacity. I have checked the voltages with a multi-meter and are all ok, they are new so they should be.

It is either a heat or vibration problem, I am going to do some runs with the canopy off in order to troubleshoot the issue. Hopefully it's not the 4 in 1, but something simple.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Fly-a

OK, I've taken the canopy off and I've done some tests. The helicopter still only flies for 20 to 30 seconds before the top rotor refuses to work above about 20% power - before it can even get off the ground. I have checked the gear mesh, wires, connectors etc. The motors don't get very hot (both are roughly the same temps to the touch. There is no more rotational drag on one rotor compared to the other. So this leads me to conclude that the problem lies in the 4 in 1.

I have read that this problem has come up in other peoples 53q helicopters before. I have contacted the retailer and they say that the manufacturer claims that this is normal for a coaxial and that more power will start the top rotor spinning again. However, it does not. No matter where the trims on the TX are set, the heli will not run the top rotors with more than about 20% power. I will have to see if they are willing to send a replacement 4 in 1 RX so that I can actually get this thing flying as it should... stay tuned.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:27 PM
bmrlvigil

Okay here is what I came up with in regards to the top rotor not spinning.

I bought the 53Q3 and had the same problem. Researched it to death and then the solution hit me like a ton of bricks.

Think of this in terms of the gyro, in this case it is a built in gyro in the 4in1.

PROBLEM..... When you first power up; both rotors are turning at a good rate. Now if you just let it sit there OR if you gradually give it power, the top rotor stops spinning. The reason (as best as I can explain) is that the built in gyro is not sensing a need for the toprotorto counteract the rotational force of the bottom blades. In other words the heli itself is NOT spinning and the gyro does not see the need to turn on, or increase speed on the top blades. Hence they stop turning or slow down sometimes to a stop.

SOLUTION.... When you power up, give it enough throttle (quick) enough to get it off the ground. Once you do this the built in gyro senses the bottom rotor trying to spin the heli one way and therefore it tells the top rotor to counteract the spin by increasing or decreasing its speed. I still believe that there may be a problem with the 4in1 as sometimes, the "problem" does occur at random. During these times, I have found that the best solution is to just unplug the heli, wait a few seconds and then replug. Most of the time that does the trick.

I dont know if this makes any sense or just made you guys more confussed, but that is what I have discovered. Hope it helps somebody out.

B
Old 12-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Sky Soldier

Hi All

Just got my second Walkera 53Q3 today. The first one shipped from Banana Hobby arrived with the upper rotor not working at all. After lots of email, some un-answered, I finally got the replacement today and it doesn't work right. So much for 'quality control' and requesting flight testing before shipping replacement.

The rotors on this one seem to start uneven, but then spin up nicely up to 20% throttle. Over 20% throttle and the upper rotor starts slowing down and stopping. Pulling left rudder will stop the upper rotor even at 20%. If I hold right rudder I can spin up to max with both rotors.

I'm assuming the problem is in the 3 in 1 control unit. Any suggestions on where to get a good replacement unit ?

Since working on them is half the fun, I'll probably keep this one for experimenting and parts if not able to get it flying. Maybe even try to fit the body on my Esky BOL.

Thanks
Jerry
Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Sky Soldier

ORIGINAL: bmrlvigil

Okay here is what I came up with in regards to the top rotor not spinning.

I bought the 53Q3 and had the same problem. Researched it to death and then the solution hit me like a ton of bricks.

Think of this in terms of the gyro, in this case it is a built in gyro in the 4in1.

PROBLEM..... When you first power up; both rotors are turning at a good rate. Now if you just let it sit there OR if you gradually give it power, the top rotor stops spinning. The reason (as best as I can explain) is that the built in gyro is not sensing a need for the toprotorto counteract the rotational force of the bottom blades. In other words the heli itself is NOT spinning and the gyro does not see the need to turn on, or increase speed on the top blades. Hence they stop turning or slow down sometimes to a stop.

SOLUTION.... When you power up, give it enough throttle (quick) enough to get it off the ground. Once you do this the built in gyro senses the bottom rotor trying to spin the heli one way and therefore it tells the top rotor to counteract the spin by increasing or decreasing its speed. I still believe that there may be a problem with the 4in1 as sometimes, the "problem" does occur at random. During these times, I have found that the best solution is to just unplug the heli, wait a few seconds and then replug. Most of the time that does the trick.

I dont know if this makes any sense or just made you guys more confussed, but that is what I have discovered. Hope it helps somebody out.

B
I had the same problem with my 53Q3. The solution to my problem was adjusting the GAIN on the 4in1 unit CW. After many tiny ajustments, with testing each time, both rotors were spinning up nice up thru full throttle. When testing left rudder I found I needed a little more GAIN adjustment.

Now the bird flies great. I can spin up slowly, add just a touch more throttle and hover just a few inches off the ground. No need to over- power to get the bird up flying smooth.

I'm getting 14 minutes out of the stock battery. I have the 2.4g metal version.

This 'little bird' really flits around much like the real life MD500 in which I had my last ride out of the field in Vietnam. (yeah, I'm an old guy!)

In contrast, my Big Outdoor Lama uses the same size blades but has more languid flight moves.

Out of the box, I've found the CG to be slightly to the rear requireing max trim adjustment on the forward elevator to maintain hover. I'm experimenting now with small bits of putty in the nose till I get the balance right with centered trim adjustment.

Night flights with the LEDs are really cool. Got to add them to my BOL!

Jerry

Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
macz

I wish the body wasnt plastic....I have to order a new fuselage and skids...a couple rough landings cracked body...but parts are cheap and this is my first real heli...
Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Sky Soldier

Hey Macz,

I agree. At least they should make the plastic less brittle like the 3ch Apache that I started out with. It took dozens of crashes with no damage while I was learning.

My Little Bird ( walkera 53Q3) has suffered only one bad crash when a puff of wind took it out of my control during one of my first flights. The several cracks in the body was repaired with CA glue and the bent flybar was straightened by hand and I was back in the air again.

I have since ordered lots of spare parts, including body, to have on hand when needed. I noticed on their newest version of the Little Bird that they have many more vent holes over the motors. http://www.besthobbysite.com/shop/pr...ducts_id=12817. Think I will cut more vents on the new body before installing.

My BOL has also had one major crash caused by blade strike. Destroyed 3 blades and cracked the cabin. My Little Bird doesn't seem to have the same blade strike problem. Also, the blades seem more durable than the ones on my BOL. Will use the Walkera 53Q3 blades on both birds next time I have to change blades as they are the exact same size.

Got to go. The wind sock is hanging straight down.....so it's time to fly!!

Jerry
Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Maladroit

I'm sorry to revive a year-old thread, but I've been having the same problem with my upper rotors not turning.

The difference is that I am attempting to fly an Exceed Warhark 300/M5 Police body - which I discovered was actually a re-branded Walkera 53Q3 with newer paint like the CX3.

Is the Rx the same as the Walkera's though?
I am very frustrated with this coaxial from XHeli, because the screws and bearings flew out of the flybar head on the very first flight, which happened to be outside on my lawn (St. Augustine grass has a thick thatch underneath, so once those parts hit the grass they were goners!)

Now I have an incredible "Tickle-Me Elmo" shake happening, so I just replaced the inner shaft, flybar, flybar head only to encounter the dreaded "upper rotor rigor mortise". Can someone tell me how to adjust the RX in order to remedy this?

In the meantime....I'll just happily bolt my MsR around my living room....

Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
CULT DUDE

I have a HM53QD.Out of the box I could not get it to hover at all .I have a MCX-2 that is no problem at all to hover.At first I thought the problem was me.I took the heli to a local hobby shop and they saw the problem right away.The shaft bearing is not fully seated into the top of the frame housing.Any ideas about the fix ? I dont see a screw or pin that i can remove and then push down the bearing.the body looks like a real problem to remove as well Any thoughts on what to do would be appreciated.