RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/walkera-helis-dragonfly-etc-405/)
-   -   Walkera 22e tail motor upgrade (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/walkera-helis-dragonfly-etc-405/4463910-walkera-22e-tail-motor-upgrade.html)

krisma 07-28-2006 05:32 PM

RE: Walkera 22e tail motor upgrade

ok everyone..... got some good news. Finished talking to Tim from rcandme.com and they are now carrying a 22e dual motor tail holder.

[link=http://www.rcandme.com/servlet/the-431/CP-dsh-011-22E-Tail-Holder/Detail]22e dual motor tail holder[/link]

not too expensive either. :D

JDBlackhawk123 07-28-2006 10:20 PM

Wow, my posts are getting a little out of hand, sorry! Just got the two new GWS tail motors and direct drive tail props from Speedster25 on eBay. What a deal-$10.00 for the motor and 2 props-I will try this out in the next few days-the tailprops are much smaller which could be good. The motor is quite a bit longer, rated at 6.5V. I'll post results. And to Krisma, Tim at RCandMe has been terrific-tremendous support-helped me understand the 22e, setting the proper blade pitch, how collective works. Can't thank him enough. Talk to you all later.

laurie5 08-14-2006 02:26 AM

my suggestion through trial and error mate is forget the walkera motors altogether as they are crapp even if u mount 2 on the tail u will still have the same problem , the answer is to buy
a EDP-50XC as i just bought 1 with heetsink and works a treet or if u want to go brushless a fiargo 5t short motor they come in long or short for some reason or brushless again a medusa 4000kv 12mm motor, well i hope any of this info helps u but if u ever intend of changing your tail motor to brushless the medusa as i am told is the much better motor but the brushed 50xc
has had only 3 hours flight and only runs warm which is a good sign and for 15 dollars i cant complain and very responsive anyways cheers laurie

daveywy 08-15-2006 06:59 PM

ccpmheli,
i have a hummingbird v3 and would like to know how you mounted the fan
i see they sell tail fins for the fan
but i dont see any mounting
or do you have to come up with some thing on your own
let me know very interested in this
thanks

ccpmheli 08-15-2006 09:55 PM

daveywy, I just bored a hole in the fan housing, inserted the boom until it touched one of the motor's struts. I did file a small semi-circle on the motor's strut(where the boom contacted it.). I also mounted the fan on its weight centerline(I suspended the fan with a rubber band, when it hung level, I marked the housing and that is where I made my hole). I CA glued the boom/housing interface and CAed the boom to the semi-circle in the motor's strut. This seems plenty stong enough. As far as the fin goes, you can pretty much do anything you want with it, I made my prototype from balsa. Good Luck!

daveywy 08-16-2006 11:08 AM

thanks, imgoing to get one of those fans i think that it should be more tail control with less draw
and they are making fins for them they ziptie to the boom.

zeese5 04-10-2007 05:45 AM

It seems like there's still no breaktrough in brushless tail motor setup for walkera 22E.. isn't it?

d1kk1e 04-15-2007 02:20 PM

As a cp2 flyer I guess I might be the enemy [&:]. But i did a mod to my tail motor to increase cooling for it, this seems to be a main factor increasing engine wear so should increase the life of the motor ( not had it done long enough to say ). See what you think, its quite a simple mod anyone could do...

[link=http://www.modpulse.com/articles/tail-motor-heatsink/]tail motor heat sink[/link]

E_Heli 04-24-2007 04:48 PM

d1kk1e

Very cool tail motor heat sink mod! I'm worry about the hanging braids may short circuit the motor terminal and burnt out the 4in1 tail esc.

d1kk1e 04-25-2007 05:15 AM

Yeah I was a little concerned about that, since then I've done the twin engine mod for my heli and bought a different heat sink which again - just doesn't cool the engine enough.

I'm gonna try another one - this time with some thermal glue and make them over hang both sides rather than one, I'll try shortening the braids so they can't short the two pins - to be honest they dissipate the heat so quickly they could be a lot shorter. I'll let you know when I've done the mod.

Am also thinking of a similar mod for the main engine - now I can hover for a full battery I've noticed that gets hot too, was also gonna mod the canopy to direct air over the engine more, anyone ever done this before?

d1kk1e 04-25-2007 05:16 AM

The dual tail motor mod I did just used an old mount from a broken tail I had, I'll post some pictures later...

d1kk1e 04-26-2007 03:05 AM

Hey heres some pictures of the twin tail motor mod I did, was very straight forward and easy to do, doesn't need many tools either...

[link=http://www.modpulse.com/articles/r-c-mods/twin-tail-motor-mod/]Twin-tail-motor-mod[/link]

johano 06-07-2007 02:02 AM

Hi Gents

I've just completed my seperates upgrade on my 22E.:D
I'm using the short Feigao (T5) motor, with STD pinion, on the tail with a 6A Robottonics ESC. the ESC is mounted midway down the tail boom.
Main motor the STD walkera 3200kV bruchless motor
Gyro is Micro Alain HH.

MAJOR PROBLEM - the tail overpowers the 22E completely even after cutting the blade to 5" diameter. Secondly sometimes the motor "stutters before start up after left yaw the the tail motor kicks in and overcorrects leading to complete lost of control.[:-][&o]:(

Can any one Help? What is the Best BL tail ESC?

Kind regards, Johano (BiJC)

anon447 01-15-2008 05:04 PM

Quick question whats the biggest battery u can put in a 22e? Is the specs on this battery to big?

3-Cell 15C 11.1v 2200mAh Li-Po Rechargeable Battery

* 3-Cell 15C Li-Po rechargeable battery for RC
* Capacity: 2200mAh
* Voltage: 11.1V
* Size : 105mm x 35mm x 22mm
* Weight: 160g

With a Brushless motor 180L

heliaction 01-15-2008 09:23 PM

If you look at the 22e lets talk site, the guys there will help you.
As for this question 1200mah 11.1volt 10c is the biggest you would go. The one you have mentioned is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY to big for that little heli

medium1 02-07-2008 11:21 AM

How do you replace the motor?
How do you get the gear off and on without tearing up the motor?

jtspin 02-07-2008 06:17 PM

Unsolder the wires, remove the screws (don't lose them), and try to get the pinion to go through the hole in the tail holder. You may have to scrape off some plastic around the edges of the hole to get the pinion to go through.

The easiest way to get the pinion off is to use one of these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHHN2&P=ML

To put the pinion on the new motor a small vice works good to press it on. You want to support the back of the motor when pressing on the pinion.

-JT

carabou 01-27-2009 12:33 AM

Ok, can anyone please help me? I have looked around and can’t find this or any information on this. I have a new 22e and it works great with my new walkera 22e motor and esc. I plugged the motor into the 3-prong of the esc, than I plug the battery into the esc than I plug the esc into the slot 4 of the receiver. The main blade flares up hard and full, but the tail blade has no power. I know the tail is not dead as if I plug the setup without the esc and it works. Please tell me what I should do. I read somewhere about a y connector for the esc so it can power the tail? Please help I am lost?