Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

17 pounder gun

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:27 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 17 pounder gun

Who makes a 17 pounder gun? Got one an aluminum one a while ago with MB but now I don't see any listed anywhere.
Bill
Old 10-30-2010, 09:26 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 17 pounder gun

Here is one source.

[link=http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/tamiya-17-pounder-gun-barrel-for-m4-sherman-116-scale-239-p.asp]17 pounder[/link]

If you just want one 17 pounder MB, PM me. I cast my own and can get you one.

Dan
Old 10-30-2010, 10:01 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dan Thanks for the fast response.
I'm making another Isreali Sherman and wanted to do an early M-51 on an M-4A3 chassis. Got the Tammy Sherman upper hull, converted to V-8 deck on a Mato Sherman and a Tammy Pershing gun and MB to make the D-1000 gun... but now I find that the prototype M-51 was on the A1 chassis....eeeccchhh!!! Only way to go now is to make another CN-75-50 gun and do an M-50, but at least I'll have one off an M-4A3. At least I'll have a D-1000 gun with MB if I decide on another M-51.

The 17 lb'er is the eay way to go, as I just have to flatten the MB and add the wide baffles. Do you make the MB with the gun or do I have to scratch make one, and how much is a gun? Here's my two M-50s.

Bill
[email protected]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	om33537.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	1525324   Click image for larger version

Name:	oj28055.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	1525325  
Old 10-30-2010, 10:55 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Muzzle brakes are cast resin, or metal, your choice. Resin would be easer to work with if you are flattening them and modifiying them. I do not machine the barrels. I use brass tube , and then build a taper with masking tape. I upsize the barrel side that goes in through the mantlet with a slightly larger piece of brass tubing. When wrapping the tape around the bbl you use the larger diameter mantlet piece as a guide to know how much to taper to apply. This then gets covered with spot auto putty. When dry, I chuck it in my drill and sand it all smooth. Very cost effective. You also have a brass surface where the gun tube slips through the mantlet resulting in the durablity you need for recoil.

I need a break from all that slat armor I am doing. Maybe I can do a quick tutorial this weekend on making a firefly bbl.

Carving pumpkins with my young adult daughters today, prior to them going out, so it might not be today though.

Dan