Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks > War Room
Reload this Page >

Another NOOBIE what tank to buy?

Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

Another NOOBIE what tank to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:14 PM
123Splat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another NOOBIE what tank to buy?

Greetings Dealers of Death and Destruction.

Can't fly my heli in bad weather and need something to chase the new little cat with...

Looked a lot, read a lot, still don't know which way to go.

Tamiya $500+, Cool tanks, come in desired size (1/24 scale). Too Much $$$.

Tokyo Mauri still a lot of bucks, but way better than Tamiya. Shoots BB's (cat won't like that), limited bodies (most m1a1 based) no rechargable bats, not much choice on speeds, better/thicker plastics, last longer ...

Toyeast VS/ Marui Export a little less $$ than the Tokyo Marui, made in the same plant, same limited line oc chassis. offers rechargables.

Hen Long low cost, low quality, shoots BB's offers all kinds of WWII variants, reportedly breaks down, but offers rerchargables.

I can get two HL's for the price of one Tokyo Marui. One Tokyo Marui is supposed to last 3 times as long as a HL.

Now, here is your chance to tout your choice of tank, Tell me what you would suggest and why, and don't forget to say where to get one (price and shipping would be nice). Or, if you so choose, tell me what not to buy and why.

No offense intended, but forget the Tamiya's. If I bought one of those, I couldn't afford to buy parts for my helicopter..... And my wife would make sure that I was never again physically able to fly it, or do anything else..... We old guys break easy.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Another NOOBIE what tank to buy?

The newer H's are more reliable. Having said that my Tiger was one of the old non S+S tanks, and after a bit of tinkering and upgrading it's pretty bulletproof.

I drove it for over 4 hours on different terrain to try and break something and it's still in one peice.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:26 PM
123Splat

Thanks Woz,

That was quick. You like the Hel longs, then. Any preferances on a seller? And I should go for the 'Smoke and Sound', right?
What upgrades, othe than the S&S boards, treads, any other accessories, replacement gears, anything?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want 1/24 go with Vs toyeast.com has them for 126 shipped if you want 1/16 go with hl http://www.matotoys.com/canada/index.php?cPath=1 he has them and so does raidentech.com just make sure to get the smoke and sound or your just wasting money and if you found a 1/24 tank with a rechargable its a hl not a vs or marui they both use AA's i just ordered a Vs 1/24 leopard 2 from toyeast with stowage gear and it came to 138.03 hl does have minor detail issues but they are a great starting point for doing your own detail work.(see pictures)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12622.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	685082   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76309.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	685083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50383.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	685084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37204.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	685085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54315.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	685086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47300.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	685087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57111.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	685088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46410.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	685089  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27124.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	685090  
Old 05-15-2007, 03:09 PM
swathdiver

1/24 too small to run outdoors IMO. 1/16 Heng Long best value. Which to get? Doesn't matter, you'll wind up with at least one of each sooner or later. Ask around and see who owns just ONE tank.

Mato Toys in Canada is your best bet, don't cheat yourself and get a non Smoke and Sound tank. Buy the tank from Mato with metal gears, spare S&S kit, and two extra guns, metal tracks. Make your soldering iron works and you have plenty of solder.

Go to Tower and get a real 3000+mah battery and a real charger. Throw the original bbs in the garbage if they came in a little box, go to Wally World and get some Crosman Glos.

Read this and other tank forums and educate yourself, use the search feature as much as possible and we're still happy to answer the same questions over and over again. I too was a newbie in December 2005.

These are tanks and tanks break, just like the real ones.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

yea what he said x10^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 05-15-2007, 04:29 PM
csal

I am kinda partial to the VS tanks. I have three VS (2 leopards A6 and one Abrams) which me and my five year old battle with in the driveway. These are the IR versions which the old ones are a pretty good deal at Tower right now. The AA batteries last a fairly long time, at least thirty minutes or more (haven't really kept track) of running and firing so that is not so bad. I also have a HL Tiger and Pershing which are fun to run in the yard. I also have a King Tiger Tamiya and am finishing a Sherman which are fun to drive in the yard as well. The tanks I seem to use the most though are the VS at least till I finish my Sherman and can use that to battle the KT with friends.

Carl
Old 05-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

bottom line is its a fun hobby. you can get a tank and detail to make it your own just like a model only you can drive and shoot with them so it really the best of both worlds
Old 05-16-2007, 01:43 AM
Skald

Speaking of Newbies...I just bought my first HL Tank. Walker Bulldog, baby!

I had my first battle tonight against one of my buddies who's got a 1/24 (type 90) for his birthday...I wasted him! Once I had him on the run because he ran out of ammo and I was threating to monster truck him with my metal tracks...Great fun!

Just wanted to say thanks to all the advice I found here...no nonsense info that totally helped me with my first purchase.
My next tank? PANZER!
I hope to post more here as well as show some pictures of my tank...gonna go with some wicked camo paint and netting.

Protecting the Northwestern front.
Skald
Old 05-16-2007, 10:47 AM
123Splat

Wow,
Thanks guys. Overwealmed with all the info, but definitly gotta get me some armor.
Doesn't VS/ToyEast now make airsoft tanks?
Metal gears and metal treds sound like the way to go.
Spare Smoke&Sound? Why, do the fail a lot?
Gotta go 1/16th if I want to play outside? The 1/24th's sound fairly big to me. Do I really need the 1/16th's, or is it just 'the biggest kid on the block'? I saw a Brit website that has 1/6th scales, and you thought Tamiya's were expensive.........

Still got a lot of thinking to do though.......

Skald,
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! Take that crazy kitten!

But, 'PANZER' ??
Haven't seen any thing about Panzer I's or Panzer II's,
I seen some Panzer III's offered,
Panzer IV's would be nice,
Panzer V (Panthers) and Panzer VII (I always thought a Tiger was a Mk VI, but the Tiger I appears to be labeled as a VII)
Have not seen any Tiger II's (turret looks like the turret on a King Tiger) and, of course,
King Tiger!
or, if you prefer, all of the above, PanzerKamfwagen..... No Flame, just kiddin'.

Another question, do I have this thread on the right forum and if not how do I get it moved where it belongs? I saw ont response to some guys post that said this forum was for the big/real tanks and strat & tactics. Sorry if I got it wrong, but I've already gotten plenty of good replies.

Wow, this is gonna be cool!

Later,
Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Wozwasnt

The Tiger is a Panzer VI (or at least it is in every book I read). I don't think they did a PzVII
Old 05-16-2007, 01:14 PM
123Splat

Woz,
That's what I thought ( on the Pz VI being the Tiger I), but I recall seeing some ad somewhere callin the Tiger I a VII. Is the Tiger II the 'King Tiger', or a Tiger with a sculpted (like the King Tiger) turret? If Tiger II is not the King Tiger, then what is the 'Pzkw' designation of the King Tiger? Is the Tiger with the sculped turret a Tiger II or a Late Production Tiger I?
Yeah, stupid questions, but, hey guys, I'm new at this.

Just a flight of fancy, but has anybody tried 6mm paintballs instead of plactic 'BB's' in thier aifsoft guns?

Thanks again,
Splat
Old 05-16-2007, 01:33 PM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used 6mm paintballs, worked great !
Old 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Wozwasnt

My mate used paintballs in his stock Panther (though they only bust at very short range - under 12"). But paintballs just jam in my Tiger which has been modified and has a slightly tighter barrel.

The paintball pellets my mate was using have mold lines like the cheap pellets that come with the HL's.

123Splat - I think some people get confused and they think the Tiger is a Pz V and therefore the Tiger 2 is the PZ VII. It's pretty dumb but the sales / advertising people don't always know what they're selling. Also just by looking at the tanks you'd think that the Tiger followed the Pz IV and the Panther came after the Tiger. And to confuse things even more the Tiger 2 looks like a bigger version of the Panther.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 PM
123Splat

Woz,
Yea, I see what you're getting at about the Pzkf designations and marketing folks. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Woz and others,
So, the paint ball issue doesn't seem to be such a popular idea. Maybe if you put them in the freezer for about 20 - 30 minutes first to thicken em up a bit. That's what the full auto guys do with the .68 cal paintballs (to help the feed jam problem, obviously won't do much for the 'gotta hit at less than 12 inches problem, oh well, it was a thought).

General, Sir,
I gather from your enthusiastic response that you are not experiencing said problems?

Thanks again guys.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to browse through the main RC Tank forum: [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_369/tt.htm[/link]

Lots of info there.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:55 PM
HL Pershing Rookie

Kinda got hooked on the whole tank thingey by accident, and I'm kinda partial to US tanks.
I've got a S&S Pershing from Raidentech.
And a recent addition of an S&S Bulldog from Mato.
The Pershing worked from day one.
Though I got a little cosmetic damage due to shipping from Mato on the Bulldog, I've got no issue's with Mato.
They respond to inquiries (not all online stores do) and in a timely fashion.
And that's not to mention that seem to be the place in North America for spare parts for these 1/16 scale tanks.
There's alot more mods out there, it just depends on how hard the "bug" bites, and from what I've seen so far some Tamiya stuff is or can be made to work with the HL's.
They say you get what you pay for, well the HL's aren't Tamiya's, but you do get a decent "bang" for your buck IMO.
You don't have to spend a small fortune to have a really enjoyable hobby in almost any weather (downpours not recommended).
Admitedly I'm a bit biased, but these forums have a wealth of knowledge to help you in your choice (German or US).
Old 05-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Harquebus

If this is your only criterion, and the operative word here is chase, then you will never have much of a pursuit with a tracked vehicle.

If you need some giggles only, might I suggest this untested, barely classifiable "thing": http://www.hobbytron.com/AirsoftRCEl...leVehicle.html

Then again the 1/24 Marui or VS airsoft tanks seem to have more zip than the HL's, which are behemoths in comparison.

Concerning 6mm paintball success: a recent thread seems to indicate that lubrication of the barrel adds velocity to the projectiles and makes them break easier...

EDIT: YHR is the one that has made great strides in paintball shooting. He's reportedly broken them at distances of at least 30 feet.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5844476/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: 123Splat
...need something to chase the new little cat with...
Old 05-16-2007, 11:39 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All my tanks have now got a shot of silicone lubricant down the bbl. This makes an incredible difference in the guns. Easy doubling the range. I was breaking paintballs at 30 ft against my patio doors. The good news is paint ball was still rising when it hit the doors. I shim the spring to compress it about 10mm. This seems to not tax the mechanism too much. Any more and you risk stripping a gear in the gun.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:15 PM
123Splat

Woz,

Look what I found! Check out http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz7.htm#maus - Panzerkampfwagen VIII Maus
Porsche Typ 205 / Tiger II(P)

[link]http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz7.htm#maus[/link]
Old 05-22-2007, 02:37 PM
BIGMIG

Hey my virus scanner kicked in and said that first site reffrence was contaminated and aborted the page.????maybe just my software????
Old 05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Wozwasnt

The Lowe (Lion) was only a prototype and never made production so was never a PZVII and the Maus wasn't a PZ VIII. I believe they only gave them the Panzerkampfwagen number when they go into production.

The Tiger started development in 1939 but only went into production in July 1942 whereas the Panther which only started its development in 1941 went into production in June 1942.

Becasue the Panther went into production before the Tiger it was given the Panzerkampfwagen number V and the Tiger was Panzerkampfwagen VI.

If they gave them Panzerkampfwagen numbers when they started development then the Tiger would come before the Panther. And what would happen to all the projects that get cancelled.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:44 PM
123Splat

Mig,

Works for me and I assume for Woz, since he caught that they were prototypes (darn it!, thought I had him for a minute...)
Try highlighting and copying the link to the address bar. Maybe that will work for you. The sight has some strange characters in some of the text, but it made it through my virus scanning without a hitch. Good sight. makes for some good reads.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:22 PM
123Splat

O.K. For anybody who's still out there listening. I made the leap. Got a Tiger I comming from Mato, with metal treads. Now have some more questions:

O.K. break in the motors with low voltage to avoid arching (Richard L. isn't it the amperage that causes arching before the brushes are seated? I plan to run them on a variable voltage bench power supply, but it will put out up to 2.5 Amps)

Mato's come with metal gears. Am I supposed to break those in too? If so, please point me to a thread or tell me... how?

Paint, Oh, Yes, MUST paint,,Yes, MUST hull and turret, yes, pretty tank,, ARGHHHHHHHH! What about those metal treads (and wheels)? If I paint them, won't the paint wear off while running? (Thought about using gun bluing (Selenic Acid, or such) to treat the treads, but same problem with wear) Any suggestions?
Back to paint: air brush for mass parts, paint brush for detail parts? Oil or Acrylic, or both?

All (,, well most...) suggestions welcomed with thanks.

Richard L. I think I got this started in the wrong forum. Could you move it as appropriate, please.

Thanks to all,
Splat
Old 06-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 123Splat

O.K. break in the motors with low voltage to avoid arching (Richard L. isn't it the amperage that causes arching before the brushes are seated? I plan to run them on a variable voltage bench power supply, but it will put out up to 2.5 Amps)
It's high load and high rpm that cause arching, and rpm is proportional to voltage.

Mato's come with metal gears. Am I supposed to break those in too? If so, please point me to a thread or tell me... how?
Yes, it's best to break in those metal gears also. I have covered break in methods in the RC Tank FAQ.

Richard L. I think I got this started in the wrong forum. Could you move it as appropriate, please.
Sorry, I don't have power in the War Room to move threads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.