Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

HL Sherman

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HL Sherman

Just got word from Tank Zone that the HL Sherman will most likely be the same old M4 105 How version [:@][:''[:''(] HOWEVER, Tank Zone is already gearing up and making V V SS conversions for it that will also work on the Tam Sherman. [X(] I wrote back telling Kin that if they were to put that conversion kit on the market today, they could not stock enough to meet the demand. There are already enough conversion to other Sherman tanks that have the wrong suspension because there isn''t anything available. [:@]

Also, and it may be of some value. I sent HL an email expressing my disssappintment at another $#@% Sherman 105, and the market is flooded with a tank that was not really used much other than by the Marines. I wrote that the market is wide open to US and British armor, V V SS Sherman(s), M-10/36 TD, Comet, Crusader mk IV, Matilda, and Russian T-34/76 ot BT series.
It may do some good if we all wrote with the same idea. I told them that if they made a couple of these models, they''d have to expand the workshop and put on some new people.
Something to consider..[&:]
Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 AM
googlydoogly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HL Sherman

Wow, Hen Long''s M4 will be the 105mm version? What a coincidence...

How much you wanna bet they''ll....update their Panther in the near future too...
Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah ... and Heng Long doesn''t copy Tamiya at all? [] Right. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Dugster

"same old M4 105 How version" [BAD WORD][sm=angry_smile.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=angry_smile.gif]
Old 04-14-2008, 03:45 PM
swathdiver

I didn''t know HL was even working on a Sherman. Any other sources to back this up?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:14 PM
The_Stuff

I heard about it, but assumed it was rumor. heck i didn''t realize the panzer 4 was out for the longest time till a picture of one was out and i noted the road wheels were different.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
buggy27

Wow just realized this area was here...LOL

So has anyone actually confirmed this Malicious rumor of an HL made Sherman. PLEASE tell me yes..please, please, please! I bought an HL Bulldog and then realized that the Bulldog never saw combat in WWII, and I personally dont like the looks of the Pershing.

HL could make a killing if the would just produce more allied armor. The Germans have the market cornered for some reason...lol.

Buggy
Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 PM
wackywheelz

I don''t really want to comment on something coming from Tankzone, they''re basically crooks with a retail front (300% markups etc). This HL Sherman rumour has bounced to and fro for a while, whilst no firm word exists.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 PM
buggy27

And he kicks me in the JIMMY.......[:@]
Old 04-16-2008, 02:33 AM
The_Stuff

Well i know if one dose come out that i will buy at least 2 super versions.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:19 AM
googlydoogly

ORIGINAL: buggy27

HL could make a killing if the would just produce more allied armor. The Germans have the market cornered for some reason...lol.

Buggy
The Germans may have lost the war, but they have won the hearts and minds of fanboys everywhere.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Harquebus

Just tell us where to send the hatemail , or more polite words to the effect that "you are making a big mistake if you decide to clone the Tamiya Sherman". It puzzles me that they would even attempt the more complex HVSS over the VVSS.

The 105mm M4 was a strange goose. I suppose to the layman it appears to be a severely upgunned tank but once you delve into a little research, it is basically mobile arty and is disappointing in that it was not a tank battler.

I'd be more happy if HL decided on an M4 dozer, "Calliope" or even this would be preferable:
At least I'd have something to build to my taste.

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander
It may do some good if we all wrote with the same idea. I told them that if they made a couple of these models, they'd have to expand the workshop and put on some new people.
Something to consider..[&:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28019.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	930818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb88044.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	930819  
Old 04-16-2008, 05:48 PM
pattoncommander

[email protected] is an address to comment. I beleive if more of us wrote, regardless of how hard headed a boss might be, business expansion, sales and income all talk.
The M-4 105 was designed as a infantry support tank ie; American Sturmgeschütz. They were not issued en masse but as needed, and in late WW IIm Tank Battalions got them one to a company. (17 Shermans, 3 plats of 5, 2 Hq tanks and the 105) Marines made more use of them and retrofitted many as the flame version POA-CWS-HS. This had a flame gun where the gunners telescope would normally be as a smaller tube almost as long as the 105 How itself. It was supposed to be very good and used a lot in Korea. I never saw but a couple and have yet to find any substantial info on the range, napalm supply and functioning.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:26 PM
tac23

ORIGINAL: googlydoogly

Wow, Hen Long's M4 will be the 105mm version? What a coincidence...

How much you wanna bet they'll....update their Panther in the near future too...
I wish they would - I wont touch the pantiger, and I just cant afford a tamiya
Old 04-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Harquebus

If we did make a concerted effort to write en masse to the Heng Long product manager or the CEO, what would we tell them to produce? Which M4 variant? We may just have to vote on this presuming we have some impact on the matter...

Regarding production of the VVSS in 1/16 form, what kind of pitfalls could one expect? I mean how, in your opinion, could HL screw it up? I just imagine the production of a downsized version of what is seen on the 1/6 M5 Stuart from Motorworks, sprung with coil springs and articulated in much the same way.

I recall seeing someone by the name of Tiff Williams who had made a tank with custom VVSS on a 1/16 battle site. Below are some of the pics from Fragarmor.org. If this so-called HL Sherman turns out to be a HVSS Tamiya clone, I might just have to follow in this fellow's footsteps.

Name:	Fd91773.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	933289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99739.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	933290  
Old 04-21-2008, 11:44 AM
123Splat

105 howie in a M-4...........Hmmmm...

How do ya think them IR Battle boys would setup to simulate indirect fire??
Old 04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
swathdiver

The biggest obstacle in producing a VVSS Sherman are the VVSS bogies themselves. The right cost-effective springs must be found that allow the suspension to sit and articulate properly. There's also durability and wear issues. This is why Tamiya chose the HVSS system.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:10 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did they get those tracks from!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:34 AM
ksoc

As far as I know Tiff made all the suspension and track.... and no, I have not heard of him selling any[&o]

Name:	Sq47266.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	934435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12009.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	934436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10431.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	934437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85604.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	934438  
Old 04-29-2008, 12:30 PM
darkith

Perhaps they thought that modelling the 105mm gun would be easier to fire airsoft pellets from? Speaking of which, it'll be interesting to see how they fit the gun unit into the cramped turret!

But, weren't their VVSS versions of the M4 105? If they built that, at least we'd have VVSS chassis that would only require new turrets/gun mods. But I think swath is right, the VVSS may be too complicated. I took a look at the design, thinking of building a set for my Tamiya Sherman using my CNC mill, but to emulate the function entirely would be crazy. Even a "sorta-scale" approach could be tricky.

D.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:08 PM
swathdiver

David, the new VS 1/24 Tiger and Russkie tanks have a more compact airsoft/barrel elevation mechanism that would fit perfectly in the Sherman. A 1/16 scale VVSS would have to have metal parts, both upper and lower arms for durability. Never seen miniature volute springs, maybe coils would work in the model or rubber compressible bags of some sort.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Harquebus

I thought for certain that VVSS and HVSS shared similar challenges in order to replicate them in 1/16 scale. They both have about the same moving parts and we've seen VVSS replicated in 1/6 scale on the Stuart and to a less functional degree on the HL 1/30 M4A3 Sherman. It seems then, that it should be a small matter to make it in 1/16 scale. After all, it has been done by scratch by Tiff Williams already. The HVSS certainly requires more wheels and return rollers that are not part of the bogie assemblies. It seems more complex....

To answer your question, yes, there were VVSS 105mm M4s.

Name:	Fd92028.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	939817  
Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 PM
darkith

The HVSS Tamiya models the volute springs with coil springs in plastic cups...knowing Heng Long's history of looking at Tamiya for *cough* inspiration, I was thinking they'd go there if they actually intended to have the springs located in a scale location.

I'm not familiar with the HL 1/30th Sherman, so I don't know how accurately they modeled the suspension, nor the 1/6 Stuart.
I would have thought a full fledged VVSS suspension would need those A-arms to slide along the swing-arms holding the wheels, plus the pivoting bracket between the a-frames for the volutes to press against. Lots of little tiny parts, and as mentioned, they would need to be done in metal for any decent durability.

Once you pair HVSS down and ignore the fake shock absorbers, you basically have two oddly shaped swing arms with a pair of springs compressed in between. Plus return rollers. Not too bad.

If Heng Long was to do a VVSS Sherman and wants to keep them cheap, they might just make sturdy swing arms, fake the a-arms and volutes, and tuck a torsional coil spring in behind the swing-arm.
Have to wait and see. I hate waiting.

D.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:32 PM
swathdiver

Good things come to those who wait! [)]
Old 06-13-2008, 08:26 PM
CarreraGTSCS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any word on the HL Sherman? Myth or truth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.