Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks > War Room
Reload this Page >

Ultimate 1/18 Diorama Photography...

Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

Ultimate 1/18 Diorama Photography...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:26 PM
killick64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultimate 1/18 Diorama Photography...

What's this guy's secret? ...Macro Lenses? ...Studio Lighting? ...Blue Screen??? Any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-18-ULTIMATE-SO...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Ultimate 1/18 Diorama Photography...

I could ask Everett if you really want to know. He does this for a living, the guy can paint just about anything and, well ... puts us all in the amateur ranks easily. I once sold him a handful of my 1/18 armor vehicles to him (needed the room) and he sent me some examples of his work. Really amazing stuff.

I'll drop him a line.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:59 PM
killick64

Please do...And maybe get his permission to post a couple of pix here !
Old 12-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

In his reply to my email he said he went ahead and joined this forum, so I'm sure he'll post something soon.

He's a pretty busy guy!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 PM
WooferCustoms

Hey Guys,
I'm kinda lost on this form, it's pretty big, I'm not sure how to post photos yet, but i'll try, These are some photos of a 1/18 Berg-panzer i built a while back,
Thewoofer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30008.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1087441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72415.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1087442   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27935.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1087443  
Old 12-11-2008, 07:57 AM
killick64

Hey, Welcome to the Forum, Woofer....!! And your pictures look GREAT!

My wife and I have been looking at your "offerings" for months, and just can't get over that incredible photography (not to mention modelling skill!). I hope that without divulging too many "secrets" you'll give us some hints on how to get that incredible sharpness, lighting and composition into our own photos. Plus a tip or two on "model finishing"! (Did you build all those "scenic backgrounds". too? )

Up here in the "War Room" is where we usually put posts that pretain to "History", "Statics" and so on. The Main Forum is usally for R/C Tank-related topics, although with all the Examples of "Painting and Weathering", "Tank Numbering and Exterior Detail Correction" you'll find there, it seems that distinction gets a little "blurred" from time to time....

By The Way, it wasn't until I saw your beautiful, battle-scarred 1940 "Wehrmacht Ford" that I found out there even WAS such a place as "Fordwerke" operating in Cologne, and that not every WWII German Truck had to be an Opelblitz. Thanks for the "History Lesson" !

We could use a LOT of pictures. "Inspiration" isn't easy to come by in Winter, and us "housebound Tankers" need some kind of project to keep the old interest up....

Again, Welcome !! hope you make many, many Friends and new "Fans" on this Forum!
[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] !

Old 12-12-2008, 08:25 AM
WooferCustoms

Killick64,
hey guy, your gonna laugh when i explain about my photos because it's nothing special at all, Very Basic, No special zoom lens, No special lighting, I use a Sony FD Mavica camera, Behind my shop i built a 10x20 building that i use to set up my Diorama's and do my photo's, I use natural sun lite, The top of the building has a clear sun roof, the only drawback is i can only shoot photo's at a certian time of day when the sun is right, 90% of my photos are shot from 12-16 inches from the model, "Very Close" I like a lot of Detail, I use MGI Photosuite program for any editing i do, and a white background for single photos, that's it "Very basic" .
I do all my Backgrounds, build my on tree's and buildings, Ect.....
Also alot of people don't know that Chevy and ford both had Dealerships in Germany before the war, I kept seeing Germans driving fords and chevy's so i researched it and got the information about the dealerships,
If any more questions just let me know.
TheWoofer
Old 12-13-2008, 04:53 PM
killick64

Another question or two, if you don't mind......What do you use to paint those 1/18 Figures? And how do you "prep" them???

And how do you make your trees? The G-Scale stuff is sooooo pricey [] !
Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 AM
WooferCustoms

Figures : Remove everything from them you can, wash them in warm soapy water, let dry, airbrush with a acrylic paint, some figures i cast my own so they have to be done a little different.
Trees : I make my own by using real tree limbs, some i have are store bought, but i'm parcel to my custom trees, they look a little more realistic. a little bit of imagination will go a long way in this area.
Hope this info helps
TheWoofer