Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

HL tiger with smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:25 AM
colinessex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL tiger with smoke

Hi Guys
bought one of the HL 1/16th Tiger Tank with upgraded metal tracks g/box air soft smoke and sound for my son xmas present from 'Father Christmas'...I know he's only 7 and NO he does not have access to the 'BB's' and is well versed with R/C toys
however the smoke stopped after 10 mins..when you start it up with the switch in 'B' which is smoke 'ON' you can hear a whiring sound that sounds like a motor trying to do something ..as though the smoke unit motor drives some kind of piston and its not pushing the piston..I assume theres some kind of heating element that heats and vapourises the smoke oil amd the motor punmps it out of the 'Exhausts'
sby the way there are 2 clear tubes at the back I made the assumption the you only put oil in the lhs looking at the tank from the back..
I guess its under warrantee and could send it back.to the shop or 'Santas repair shop'
but for future reference can anyone post me some info as to disassembly tips on the tank.
mind you the 'allen bolt' for the front sproket for the track drive has come loose 5 times!! resulting in putting ptft tape on it to stop it coming loose again !!

Colin
Old 12-28-2009, 08:07 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HL tiger with smoke

To fix the front sprocket, your best best is to take the both allens out and add a drop off either CA glue or loc-tite and re-install them. they will not come out again. As for the smoke unit, most common failure is the heater element breaking. It is very fine and can be resoldered where it broke but take your time and maybe keep a magnifying glass handy. Or purchase a new one from any of the vendors. They fail often and many people remove them. I resoldered mine and have had no trouble since. As for taking it apart, do a search. There are a lot of threads for Tigers here.
Real quick, remove one of the track pins from each side using a pick and something to tap it loose. The pins are removed py pushing them from the outside in towards the hull. Once the tracks are off you will have access to all of the philips screws under the hull. Once they are removed the upper hull will seperate from the lower and give you access to all of the internals including the smoke

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db85138.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1343911  
Old 12-29-2009, 10:00 AM
colinessex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

many thanks for the info yellowshaker much appreciated
Colin
Old 12-29-2009, 06:36 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Colin,
Yellowshaker/Joe is spot on. He is a mechanic and know his stuff. He has done many improvements on his Tiger I.
Here are a few hints.... DO NOT overdue it when adding the smoking oil. Only a few drops are needed every half hour or so and add it when the tank is off and cooled. Point the tank nose down to the ground when adding a few drops and keep it there for a few minutes. If it becomes over saturated it will never work properly. DO make sure the battery is FULLY CHARGED and making a good connection. Let the smoker "brew up" before driving around so the elements get fully heated. This is very important if you have a stock H L low miliamp (under 2000) battery as the metal tracks and wheels add a lot of weight. Try a 3300 or better. This is the first fix you should try before breaking open the tank. I STRONGLY recommend the KISS system (Keep It Simple Stupid) and try the easiest and low cost fixes first. Screws and bolts coming loose are a factory option on H L tanks. Everyone should go over their tank when getting it new and before and after each battle day checking for loose bit and trangles stuff (wire, grass, fishing line etc...). Lock washers are a great trick as is the locktite. If you are really thrilled with the smoker (which eats a lot of battery power) there are replacements and other hobby smokers which work better and are speed proportional.
Please let us know how you make out....Bob thecommandernj NEAD CO
Old 12-29-2009, 10:59 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Loose screws are optional LOLOL!!!!! Man, I guess that's a free option? Hey Bob, hope you have a great time in Danville. Take a lot of pictures for us!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Perry S.

I sure wouldn't recommend using CA on your drive screws. That's a sure way to make them permanent. Something you definitely do not want. Use blue Loctite if anything. The red will make them 'permanent features'. You will find many times in the future that you will have to take them off. The cheap Chinese steel will strip out of the hex if they are affixed too stringently.

Perry