Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

stab incadence

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 02:15 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stab incadence

i just put my stab on for final assembly and i can twist it with the screws inbut not tight it changes the ince. at leading edge a quarter inch do i set it at at full clock wize position or is this not the way its suppose to be
Old 07-17-2004, 09:13 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: stab incadence

You'll need to set up a ince. meter and set the stab to 0 degs.
double check both sides, and the wings also.

on mine the right side is right on 0, but the left side was 1 to 1 1/2 degs. positive.
a little work with the dremel and all was fixed.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:17 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The incidence for all the wings should be set at zero. You may need to adjust the stab incidence a fraction to acheive this setting.

It should not take any more effort than to trim out one side or the other of the hole(s) that the stab retaining screws pass through a small amount, and then slightly shave the stab locator pin(s) enough to accept the new setting when it's in place in the locator holes on the fuselage. Don't open up the holes in the fuselage, just the little retaining tabs under the stabilizers. Once that's done, the screws should not change the incidence as they are tightened down.

Others may have a different method of making adjustments, but I think they are all quick and easy to do.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:41 AM

what im saying is the stab moves up and down from leading edge more than a 1/4 inch with it installed and with out the retaining screwws tightened
Old 07-17-2004, 05:31 PM

my friend is gonna let me borrow a couple of his incedence meters monday but i bet theres 2 or 3 dagree s of travel
Old 07-17-2004, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what you will need to do is find where the incidence is correct, then fill in the hole where the alignment dowel goes so it fits snug. You could just fill it in completely then redrill the hole in the correct position, or you could wrap it with some tape and make it bigger, then file the hole out to fit, or just glue a little piece of balsa on the top and/or bottom of the hole to reposition the alignment dowel.

I have checked with the factory and they tell me this hole is laser cut and so must be the right size and location. However now you and I know different, so I am trying to track down the source of the problem.

If you look at the hole, does it look as though it was hand made? If laser cut it will have the characteristic burning around the perimiter of the hole.

Tom Fawcett
Old 07-17-2004, 08:12 PM

Tom,

I've looked at, and had experience with, 4 of the aircraft in question so far, and every one had the hole laser cut into the fuselage for the stabilizers. Some of the holes for the main wing locator pins were obviously filed out at the factory, though. What appears to happening is that the "T" nut in the fuselage, or the holes in the tabs on the bottom of the horizontal stab are not in perfect alignment, and when you tighten the 4mm screws for the stab retainers, it moves the stabs up or down, depending on the hole/T nut locations. That's why I say that opening up the hole on the tabs a smidge will cure any minor deviations from zero incidence.

Shaving the locator pins should not be a big deal. They do not appear to be for strength in the retention of the stab, but only for alignment. The required strength comes from the aluminum tube spar, and the "T" nut/screw combinations. The main wing is a different story altogether, and the alignment pins will add some to the root strength of the wing. Shaving the pins on the main wing should be considered a no-no.

On the main wings, it would be better to open up the alignment hole to adjust the incidence if required. After the incidence has been altered, install another 3/32 ply "donut" and glue it in place at each location where the hole had been altered.

In any case, the remedy for any incidence differences is extremely simple, and should take very little time and effort to correct. As an aside, there have been very few ARFs that I have had experience with in the last couple of years that did not have minor incidence conditions that needed changed to fly perfectly, but would have flown without much, if any, notice to the average flyer without any changes. That has been with ALL the various manufacturers that produced balsa framed planes that I have assembled, both for myself and others.

In any case, the correction is a simple one if it is needed. If the incidence is within 1 degree of zero, it would be hard to note any improvement in the flight qualities if the incidence is brought to a perfect zero.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:13 PM

it doesnt look laser cut and theres no way that this could have been my doing this is the first tim i have had the elevators on [] will it be ok if i just set the inc. with the retainer screws and tighten them down or sould i put sommin in the dowel hole to make it tight?
Old 07-18-2004, 01:10 AM

Mike,

Once you tighten the screws, nothing moves. Check and set the incidence, and if your concerned about movement, place just about anything that pleases you and that will work between the anti rotation pin and the side of the hole it sits in. Inside the hole, of course.

Toms' idea about the tape would be the easiest if anything was needed.

Don't despair, it's no big deal. Really, it's not.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:57 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Both of my wings were dead on zero deg. One stab was +1 deg., and the other -1 deg. I filed the stab screw holes until they aligned with the blind nuts in the fuse. I had to also file the holes in the fuse sides to clear the new pin locations. I don't trust the screws to hold stab alignment, so I filled in and drilled new holes. To do this, I took 2-part epoxy putty, and packed it in the enlarged hole. I pushed the stab in slightly, indenting the putty before it cured. After it cured, I drilled through the indention, and the stab is now held in perfect alignment by the locating pin. (don't tell anyone, but I had to do a little filing of the new hole too, for clearance).

Tom, so far everything has fit pretty darn well, with only a few minor adjustments like above. Good job.

John
Old 07-18-2004, 09:41 PM
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: flatlandmike

it doesnt look laser cut and theres no way that this could have been my doing this is the first tim i have had the elevators on [] will it be ok if i just set the inc. with the retainer screws and tighten them down or sould i put sommin in the dowel hole to make it tight?
I had to file my holes out in the fuse side to get the proper incidence on one of my stabs. I just tightened the two retaining bolts back up, and after 30 or so flights, everything has stayed put.