Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

35% Giles...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 08:07 PM
My Feedback: (508)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% Giles...

I bought a 35% Wild Hare Giles from a friend... it has a BEASTY ZDZ 80 single on it with pretty good Hitec servos...

The problem I have with the plane is on landing... it seems to bounce... ?? !! Two feet off the ground ... I ease it down... and it bounces...? into the air and wants to fly again... I have to keep some speed on it on landing as if it gets too slow... it tip stalls...!!

Any suggestions or tips... ??? I sure could use them...

Thanks

Larry
Old 08-10-2004, 08:42 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 35% Giles...

Never flown the WH Gilles but I have Midwest that does the same thing. I just land with a little more speed and power with a shallow approach.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it's a WH G202? Neither the bouncing nor tip stalls are part of the normal behavior.

When I land mine I normally just let it glide in at idle. Let it descend on its own, if it seems like it wants to float it might be a touch tail heavy. It should establish a pretty good glide slope on its own.

At about 10 feet I put in a touch of up elevator to flatten it out, then let it come down to about 1 foot high and feed in elevator to hold that altitude, when it quits flying it should just set down on the gear.

Your description sound like it would benefit from a more forward CG. The ZDZ80 is very light which makes it harder to get the proper CG.

TF
Old 08-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: les2097

I bought a 35% Wild Hare Giles from a friend... it has a BEASTY ZDZ 80 single on it with pretty good Hitec servos...

The problem I have with the plane is on landing... it seems to bounce... ?? !! Two feet off the ground ... I ease it down... and it bounces...? into the air and wants to fly again... I have to keep some speed on it on landing as if it gets too slow... it tip stalls...!!

Any suggestions or tips... ??? I sure could use them...

Thanks

Larry
Larry - the WH giles you built for me (the RCU giles) also did the same for me on a paved runway. It just didn't want to come down. I attributed it to the idle maybe being a bit too high but not sure. I have to get more flights on it to get a better handle on it. Only flown it a handful of times due to time constraints and non-cooperative weather in the last year. There was another WH 35% giles at the sussex show that I flew at that also did the bounce thing. Somebody at that meet told me they heard this was not totally uncommon with this plane. I still would guess if you bled off the right amount of airspeed and got the idle low enough it just would stop flying. It does weight over 20lbs afterall
Old 08-11-2004, 09:20 PM
My Feedback: (508)

Thanks for the info guys... this plane does not float...!!! I think the CG may be too far forward... although it is nicely aerobatic...

This bouncing is the pitts...!!!

I was running a Bambula 24x10 on the ZDZ 80 ... Whacha think about a 24x8 ... maybe slow it down some although the landing speed is not real fast...

Marc... I liked your plane so much that I finally found one with a trade that I could afford... but landing is not good....

Where do you guys have your planes balanced???

Thanks

Larry
Old 08-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry - my plane was balanced where you set it. I had the BME 102 on the nose. 26x10 CF prop. I think the CG was where the manual recommended it if I recall correctly.

Are you landing on pavement or grass?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:06 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any and all information you guys are willing to share regarding the G-202 would be noted with the utmost welcome. I have one that I am going to be starting on soon, and things are always easier if you become educated about habits prior to the first flights.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 08-12-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The G202 flies and lands well with the CG about 1/2" to 3/4" in front of the front edge of the wing tube. The manual used to say 1.5" to 2" forward, that was very conservative and difficult to achieve with any engine lighter than a briggs and stratton. I changed it because yje general consensus was that was too conservative.

IF your balance point is no more than 1/2" ahead of the wing tube the plane should just settle in gracefully and set down without bouncing. Maybe try some low bounce tires?

TF
Old 08-12-2004, 02:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Tom.

I'm intending to use a Brison 6.4 twin on mine, so the nose weight will probably not be a factor.

The low bounce tires is a trick that I eventually had to try to help tame the landings on a G/P Pitts.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:00 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Guys I have been flying one for a while. I have the BME 102 in it. I balanced according to Tom's suggestion of 1/2 o 3/4 inch in front of the wing tube. At this point the plane floats in as gracefully as does my 35% WH extra. I fly at a field where landing North to South is very tight on final due to trees.

Eddie Bernaldez
Old 08-13-2004, 08:49 PM
My Feedback: (2)

My wild hare g-202 was a little tricky to land untill I got the idle as slow as poss. I'm running a zdz 80 and mejzlik 26-10 and that combo is flat out amazing,I think that prop still really moves alot of air and anything above a very slow idle it just keeps flying.Ive got about 150 flights on mine so far and i'm more impressed every time I fly it! none of the so called nasty g202, tendencies just a great flying aircraft!Great company to deal with also![8D]