Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

servo lag

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 05:00 PM
euclid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo lag

I think I read about someone having the same problem, but I really cant find the thread.
I'm running 8611 on the elevators for the edge. Both linkages are set up identically, I've adjusted mid points to give a perpendicular servo arm. I've adjusted throws using end points to give identical up and down throws on both elevators.
But, there is a noticeable delay in one servo. I cant time it, but it is apparent.
I'm running one servo into one channel, and the other into another, so I know it is not an issue with a y lead.
Any thoughts?

Mike.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:55 PM
rc_boy_12
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: servo lag

do you have any servo extensions on the servo?
Old 03-05-2005, 06:32 PM
euclid

ORIGINAL: rc_boy_12

do you have any servo extensions on the servo?

there is a hd 18" extension on both.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:48 PM
rc_boy_12

well, that could be your problem. i had the same problem on my edge. i had a 6 " extension on the cahnnel 7 servo, and it also lagged, but only during the range check. so for all my servos, instead of using extensions, i cut the servo leads and solder a new piece inbetween so it is one long lead coming from the servo. i do this for all my servos anytime i need an extension. the more connections you have, the more voltage you loose. and that long of a lead, it could loos a lot of voltage on the way to the servo. thats all i can think of, if any one else has any other ideas, please post em.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:50 PM
rc_boy_12

not sure why only one side would do it though, since they both have the extensions. futaba or JR?
Old 03-05-2005, 07:19 PM
euclid

not sure why only one side would do it though, since they both have the extensions. futaba or JR?
they are a brand here called ty. They're heavy duty. I'm just setting up surfaces and am using a 4.8v NiCad lying around the shop. Would this cause much of a difference. I plan to use regulated 6v fromeco's on the plane.

Old 03-05-2005, 08:16 PM
rc_boy_12

um, is the 4.8 fully charged? 5 8611's may be draggin it way down, which could possibly be it, not too sure. what radio are you using? i cant think of any other reasons why it would be doin that.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:42 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard of this problem before hear on RCU with split ailerons. Someone said that it has to do with the bandwidth available to us. I will post a link if I come across the thread.
Sure enough, I notice it a slight bit on a plane I have, on the ailerons. I would assume the same situation happens with the elevators. But I could be wrong.

Sean
Old 03-05-2005, 09:40 PM
euclid

um, is the 4.8 fully charged? 5 8611's may be draggin it way down, which could possibly be it, not too sure. what radio are you using? i cant think of any other reasons why it would be doin that.
I'm thinking the charge of the battery could be the problem. I took the extensions off using the same battery, and got the same problem. When using a fully charged battery thoug, the problem went. Now the next step is to recheck with the extensions on again. I'm hoping thats all it is.

thanks for helping all.

Mike.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:18 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

i remember the thread your talking about and the lag was in the radio it was a mid lvl futaba i think they where talking about 7 c 0r 9c something about the first channel being 1024 and the second channel being half that
Old 03-05-2005, 10:19 PM
rc_boy_12

yeah, it is only a small 4.8 volt battery, and they are all dgital servos, could be just not enouhg power form that little battery if it isnt fully charged to keep them all going 100 %
Old 03-06-2005, 03:35 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

All radios will do this, some worse than others.

When you use 2 different channels for the elev./etc. the refresh/frame update rate is delayed between channels. The further the channels are apart the worse it seems to be. No way around this.

It will not affect how the models flies in real flight.

If you move the sticks slow you will not notice this, but when slammed from side to side 1 servo will lag slightly.

The only way around this is to use 1 channel for both. (I would not!!!!)

Or buy a new Futaba 14mz, I believe there refresh rate is so fast you will not see this.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for getting that Ralph. It's pretty much a fact that there will be a slight difference between the two servos. even if you use a Matchbox or Equaliser it will show up. No big deal tho. The planes don't seem to notice.