Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

1.20 Edge540 (MOTOR CHOICE)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 07:14 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1.20 Edge540 (MOTOR CHOICE)?

Good choice. That engine will also work well onthe Yak so you got a twofer.

TF
Old 01-27-2006, 11:18 AM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,

I have to say this is the best ARF I've ever seen. It's simply increadible... the quality for $$ is out of this world! I dry fitted everything and my incidence meter isn't accurate enough to find any twists/out of alignment parts... I shot a laser level down the fuse and accross the surfaces ... basically it's a lot better than I'd be capable of building myself. Patty needs a bonus for how well she packed it too!!! And then as a bonus I find all the hard points are pre-drilled - that makes this basically a stress-free assembly job WOO HOO! Not counting the engine I think this bady Edge can be built and controls trimmed in about 4 hrs (allowing time in between for hinges to dry of course...)

I'm 50% done covering now (it's looking sweet even if I do say so myself - it sure helps that the base white covering was so well applied!)... I have the day to myself so it should be covered with the motor mounted by tonight Motor mounting will take some creativity but I have some ideas. Vinyl guys are printing up some cool graphics for under the wings:
Left wing - "EDGE OF"
right wing - "INSANITY"

I figured with the 2.4 on board that was appropriate. Plus it will be very easy to see which side is down.

Should be flying in 2 weeks or less ... weather permitting

I'm so happy I got this baby Edge. I think it's even nicer than the Ultimate (which is also one sweet plane.) I'll be able to fly this every day this summer ... it comes apart very fast and with GAS the running costs and mess will me much much lower.

Off to the store for more covering now ...

For anyone else contemplating the FPE 2.4 you need 1 1/8" spacing to get the spinner back plate lined up with cowl clearance. Maybe a hair less to make the spinner cone look seamless to the cowl... but of course being very carefull if you get that close. I plan to build a built-up ply spacer (I will keep it very light.)

Chris.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:32 PM
bigal422
My Feedback: (50)

Where is the pics.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:45 AM
crhammond

Pics tonight Plane is 60% done now...
Old 02-01-2006, 12:07 AM
crhammond

Okay - here they are. I could get the rest done in a 4 hour session... but likely it will take 8 to 10 1 hr ones LOL. I was off on my estimate for building time by about 20 hrs LOL.

So far so good. To mount the engine I simply used some Maple hardwood shims. I used 2" long 10/32 bolts with lock nuts and washers, through the shims anf firewall, through blind nuts, then lock nuts, torqued to 25lbs... I don't anticipate these working loose... ever.

The ignition and regulator are mounted on the engine box. The Ignition battery is on the forward fuel tray. The throttle servo is way back in the pull-pull rudder tray. I'm anticipating having a forward CG with this huge mill up front so I didn;t want any more weight on the nose

The covering is nearly done. I'm not totally happy with the under side of the wing... I my go simpler. The rest I like... simple but looks good.

The rear servos are all hooked up with some very nice MK hardware that the pattern guys seem to like. It sure is smooth and seems very strong (there are 3mm bolts inside the aluminum horns)... ball-bearing clevices and delrin captured balls in the ball links. I built the push rods with central hobbies ends and 1/8" CF rod. They are glued with titanium impregnated epoxy.

Still to do:
discovered the landing gear mount holes aren't drilled yet - D'OH I should have done this first... not to worry I still have access to where the bolts go
tail wheel
landing gear and wheels
wing servos
finish wing covering
glue ailerons
aileron linkages
check CG and mount main battery
setup throws
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17357.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	103.3 KB