Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > WildHare R/C Support
 Redesigned 28% Extra 300 Build / Questions >

Redesigned 28% Extra 300 Build / Questions

Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Redesigned 28% Extra 300 Build / Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 11:09 AM
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redesigned 28% Extra 300 Build / Questions

You will like the H1R its good stuff
Old 09-09-2006, 12:39 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Josey, I've recently been "chastised" again by one of the "old school" engine guys in another forum about relating benefits of "industrial" engine performance products and practices to "hobby" engine users. Because of the continuing BS that I always get from that individual and a couple more I've decided to stop sharing a lot of the performance improvement stuff that's experienced elsewhere. It seems that there is some disagreement as to whether the information derived from "industrial" engine use has any transfer applications to our industrial converted to hobby use engines.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:46 PM

You know the old saying about a horse and water right??

Dont let it get you down those guys are in the minority..Im sure 99% of users WANT that information and appreciate it..I know I learn something new every time I log on to this site so please dont stop the flow of information..
Old 09-09-2006, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Well Josey, I've recently been "chastised" again by one of the "old school" engine guys in another forum about relating benefits of "industrial" engine performance products and practices to "hobby" engine users. Because of the continuing BS that I always get from that individual and a couple more I've decided to stop sharing a lot of the performance improvement stuff that's experienced elsewhere. It seems that there is some disagreement as to whether the information derived from "industrial" engine use has any transfer applications to our industrial converted to hobby use engines.

Pat, I agree with Josey! Just because one nut doesn't agree with you shouldn't be cause to stop providing the rest of us with valuable info. I'm sure you know by know how useful I have found your advise! Many others I'm sure have also taken the info you provide and put it to good use. All anyone here has to do is read the replies to most of your post to see just how valuable that info has become.
Keep on spouting good advise, most of us are listening!
Old 09-10-2006, 01:59 PM

Hello
I have now a Extra on order from Probuild i England. The engine will be a DA 50 with canister. Which servo should i by?
I have thinking about:

Hitec 5945
Hitec 5955
JR DS8511

I havent decide how to feed the servo with power. I have thinking of a Powerbox, Weatronic or Emcotec DPSI

I use Futaba 149 and have read about problems together with 5945?

Daniel in Sweden
Old 09-10-2006, 02:09 PM

The 5945's will work for the entire plane. If you want to pick up a stronger servo for the rudder that you can use in a larger plane later then the 5955 is a good choice for the rudder. The latest version of the Hitec servos are supposed to have been reprogrammed to have better compatibility with Futaba equipment. Send a PM to MGlavin to determine with certainty which version will be the correct one and go from there.

I'm a JR person but I understand the cost differential between JR and Hitec. The Hitecs are usually less expensive, and the 5955 experiences less gear wear than the JR metal geard servos. No plastic geared seros anywhere on the plane except throttle, and even there a metal gear servo is better in the long run due to the greater vibration pulses that are associated with a gas engine.

There is no need of a power expander system for any of the 28% planes. Save the money for the next one, and keep the weight down.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:58 PM
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know I guess it isn't a problem unless it is your Ox that is getting gored (OK Old saying --LOL) but I have never had a problem using any of my Futaba receivers and Hitec Servos. I have been using Futaba PCM receivers and Hitec 5945's on my Carden Cap for couple of years with no problem at all. My Tunnel Vision was was using 5945s on the ailerons and rudder until I upgraded to 5985's and a 5955 for the rudder. The upgrade was for gear slop not servo problem. THe nice folks at Hitec made me a heck of a deal on the upgrade also. My new Wild Hare will be running a 5955 on the rudder and 5985's everywhere else except the throttle and choke (if I use a choke servo) and that will be either a 225 or the small digital Hitec.

I sure agree about the price difference and I don't know how you could knock Hitec's service. Guess I will keep flying them and saving money as long as my Ox is happy. (Yea, yea, yea -- I know)!
Old 09-10-2006, 06:36 PM

Send a PM to MGlavin to determine with certainty which version will be the correct one and go from there.

I asked Mglavin about the 5955's and he said as long as they are current production servos they work fine
Old 09-10-2006, 06:59 PM

What is the "v" number of the current production version? That's the $60,000.00 question.

BTW, my Ox was reamed quite some time ago, but that was another day and place.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:14 PM

What is the "v" number of the current production version? That's the $60,000.00 question.
Good question..I only had 59,999$ when I asked so I didnt get that bit information
Old 09-13-2006, 10:00 AM

5 Hitec 5955 or 4 Hitec 5985 + 1 Hitec 5955

4,6 or 6 Volt? I have never used 6 volt.
Is that ok for the reciver (Futaba R149)

Daniel
Old 09-13-2006, 08:24 PM

Daniel,

I would definately go with 6 volts on the receiver. It gives your servos quite a bit more torque and speed. I am running a Futaba R149 receiver on my Kangke Waco with 6 volts and it works great. If you are planning on all digital servos then you may want to run a 4 cell 4800 mah battery or 2 2 cell 2400. These batteries are 7.4 volts so you need to run a voltage regulator. This setup does save a few ounces compared to a ni-cad setup.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:28 PM

Daniel,

I neglected to mention in my last post that the batteries I was referring to are Li-ion batteries. Fromeco.org or troybuiltmodels.com is a good place to buy these.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:30 PM

Hello. Anybody there. Has everyone died on this thread.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:43 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Has anyone put an Evolution 58 in one of these.....I amy have a line on one of these engine for a good deal. What do you think. Engine weighs 4 lbs.

Conrad
Old 09-15-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wilol be an excellent combo.

TF
Old 09-15-2006, 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: bluehawkbm

Hello. Anybody there. Has everyone died on this thread.
I have been unable to do any flying since Labor day as my mom has been I the hospital since the 5th. I have had to spend the last 10 days getting forms draw up and looking for nursing homes that can do her rehab. I'm hoping I can get out Sunday for a few flights if I get things settled a little tomorrow. My club is having a giant scale fun fly all weekend and I don't look forward to flying with 4-6 planes in the air. I may just skip it and wait till next weekend.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:24 PM

WW2 Ace,

So sorry to hear about your mother. We went though all that with my wifes mother.
I really have benefited from following this thread and getting ideas from all you guys. I finally got all the things needed to complete my extra and building it will be easier from the tips of all you guys who have finished yours.
Also Ace all the pictures you posted were a great help. Like the say a picture is worth a thousand words.
Happy flyin!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: bluehawkbm

WW2 Ace,

So sorry to hear about your mother. We went though all that with my wifes mother.
I really have benefited from following this thread and getting ideas from all you guys. I finally got all the things needed to complete my extra and building it will be easier from the tips of all you guys who have finished yours.
Also Ace all the pictures you posted were a great help. Like the say a picture is worth a thousand words.
Happy flyin!
Thanks Blue, I haven't had much free time lately. I'll continue to post photos of any modifications as they are made. I agree about with you about pictures being worth a 1000 words. I have found in this hobby the photos can be very valuable! That was my main reason for this thread. I wanted others to see what I was doing and either learn from it or have suggestions on better ways to handle a given problem. I hope I have succeeded.

Speaking of modifications does anyone know of a good tailwheel that does NOT require the dual springs? I'm looking for something like this ( http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Land...rMainFrame.htm ) but for giant scale
Old 09-19-2006, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: WW2 Ace
[Speaking of modifications does anyone know of a good tailwheel that does NOT require the dual springs?
I don’t know if you saw this one. Pat had some concerns about the “shock”. Well, I just think of the impact shock of all these trainer airplanes with nose wheels. They not even hold the nose wheel straight the have to push/pull a long rod with a rudder attached. I have some planes with nose wheel – two of them are twin engine ones. One of them I land pretty fast and the weight is 12 pounds. Cross wind landings – the plane comes almost in a 20 degree angle in – puh…this is hard on the servos. But for this you have small push rods and nylon arms, like I do on my tail wheel of the WH 540 28%.

I like the precise steering of this setup, makes the taxiing like as supposed do. The wind does not interfere with the plane. The rudder in high rates up and you steer the plane and the plane steers you.

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40873.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	526779  
Old 09-19-2006, 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

ORIGINAL: WW2 Ace
[Speaking of modifications does anyone know of a good tailwheel that does NOT require the dual springs?
I don’t know if you saw this one. Pat had some concerns about the “shock”. Well, I just think of the impact shock of all these trainer airplanes with nose wheels. They not even hold the nose wheel straight the have to push/pull a long rod with a rudder attached. I have some planes with nose wheel – two of them are twin engine ones. One of them I land pretty fast and the weight is 12 pounds. Cross wind landings – the plane comes almost in a 20 degree angle in – puh…this is hard on the servos. But for this you have small push rods and nylon arms, like I do on my tail wheel of the WH 540 28%.

I like the precise steering of this setup, makes the taxiing like as supposed do. The wind does not interfere with the plane. The rudder in high rates up and you steer the plane and the plane steers you.

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete

Pete, I did see that one and I did like it except I would like to have some shock absorption. I was wondering if the steel rod could be replaced with something that would absorb shock.
BTW Pete who makes that tailwheel?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:32 AM

Looks almost like a Dave Patrick design but I don't really know. You could install a "servo saver" on this tyoe of installation and do ok. Digital servos do not tolerate impacts on the gear train well. Analogs and nylon gears have a lot more latitude in this area.

I'm curious for the reason of eliminating the dual springs? I can see where flying off grass could be an issue but usually a free castering tailwheel is used for those conditions.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:50 AM

Actually, I have a 33% AW Edge 540 where I substituted the springs/wires with the yellow tubes of a golden rod. I used ball joints at each end (and both sides for a pull-pull configuration) for the connections. The tubes were flexible (compression mode) but yet stong in the tension mode and provided great ground handling.

Bobby
Old 09-19-2006, 01:01 PM

Good thought!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:00 PM

I think I found what I'm looking for.
http://www.3w-modellmotoren.de/zubeh...n/mod_tail.htm
Aircraft International handles these. The small size is supposed to work up to 20 lbs. The price is $35 and I would replace the solid wire with a single stiff spring. With this setup I don't think there would be any over steer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.