Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > WildHare R/C Support
Reload this Page >

Redesigned 28% Extra 300 Build / Questions

Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Redesigned 28% Extra 300 Build / Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 10:47 PM
BadBoy__MadMikey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redesigned 28% Extra 300 Build / Questions

i maybe wrong but i feel with lipo packs you can get a little bit better discharge rates. plus it's all i have used in my heli and have had no problems!!! my buddy has used them in his comp arf extra for the past 2 years with no problems. so i'm goin with the flow!!!

mikey
Old 08-09-2006, 12:37 AM
RCFREAK

but there is no advantage of the higher discharge rate, on a reciever pack....
Old 08-09-2006, 02:13 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, help me with some clarification on the receiver pack thing. If all the servos are are supplied power and driven via the reciever ports using a single battery system, where does the battery need to provide the additional power requirements through if a few servos are stalled or drawing high amp loads for one reason or another? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that power will be pulsed through the receiver via the receiver battery pack. Yes, no?

Now if it just happens to be a redundant battery system and the receiver is supplied only by one battery, are all the servos supplied independantly via a separate battery pack? If so, does that mean some form of signal isolator or power expander needs to be used?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:36 AM
RCFREAK

that is one form of redundancy, You can isolate the reciever power from the servo power, the other form of redundancy is just to link up two batterys and they both supply power to the servos and reciever. if one dies the other pack will keep going and hopefully save your aircraft. and yes you do need a device to split the power, i4c products makes a thing called The Isolator.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:27 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used Lipo's on about 8 planes without any problem at all. They are so light that I just stick them down with good quality velcro.

I have heard that some people are concerned about their physical packaging strength, but some people are concerned about everything for no valid reason.

Their lives must be very difficult. I've never had a problem.

As far as power, voltage is voltage and it wouldn't matter if it came from two nails stuck in a lemon as long as there is enough of it.

It is just not reasonable to buy a plane for its light weight then weigh it down with too many older technology batteries.

TF
Old 08-09-2006, 08:38 AM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Lipos tend not to turn loose of their energy very well when the get cold, you have any problems flying in the winter?
Old 08-09-2006, 08:41 AM
BadBoy__MadMikey

i'm running two packs into one reciver. i considered running a batshare from smartfly but after taling to some people i found out i could just hook two switchs up to the receiver with no problems. so basically i have it this way. reember the first part is times 2. battery, then switch then regulator then receiver. i plug one switch into the bat port and the other switch into an unused channel port. so if one switch,regultor,or battery fails i will have the other for back up. from what i was told it parrellels the voltage. so i'm running two 2100 packs so in relity with both working right i should have 4200mah running the reciver!!! a friend of mine told me that duralight is making aa switch that has the regultor built in but has two sets of wires coming out both ends. it's a redundant switch where you can run two batterys but is all in one switch with the regultors built in. i would have got one but i had already bought the switchs and regs!!!!

mikey
Old 08-09-2006, 08:47 AM
BadBoy__MadMikey

i only have problems with my lipo during the winter is on my foamies but thats where i'm using every bit of power it has. were in our planes you never really touch it's posibilty of power. for example i'm running packs that have 35amp rating. most i will ever pull is about 10 amps and thats if a servo fails or binds up!!! but i've learned that during the winter you have to keep you lipos warm if you flying them on a foamie. i have a hip sack that i put hand warmers in to keep the bats at about 80 degrees f. i've done the testing. i temp checked a battery at 60 degrees and got 5 minutes of flight. on the same mah pack i got it at 85 degrees and got 9 to 10 minutes of flight!!!! if the packs are cold you lose about 50% compasty!!!!! a manufactor told me tht and after testing it i beleive it!!!!

mikey
Old 08-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Redneck Shaun

Hey everyone. Here's a video of my maiden sunday. It's nothing fancy. It just shows how great this plane looks flying around. Oh by the way check out the lightning at the end of the video. There was a storm closing in. LOL........

http://whiteknuckleairlines.com/inde...=1&key=2&hit=1

Shaun
Old 08-09-2006, 11:30 AM
The bird man

It seems that some of you are only putting padding under your batteries and receivers. Why wouldn't you completly wrap them[sm=confused.gif]. Has anyone ever used JB weld for hinges?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:31 PM
rctom

xxx
Old 08-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Tired Old Man

DO NOT USE JB WELD FOR HINGES!!! It does not wick into the wood or foam in any way, but just sits there a a cold, hard plug around the hinge in the hole. It will come out in the exact size and shape of the hole. It has some chemical properties that let it bond well with C/F, but not wood or foam.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:12 PM
The bird man

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

DO NOT USE JB WELD FOR HINGES!!! It does not wick into the wood or foam in any way, but just sits there a a cold, hard plug around the hinge in the hole. It will come out in the exact size and shape of the hole. It has some chemical properties that let it bond well with C/F, but not wood or foam.
Pat just so you know I had not intended of doing this. I am using GG as I did on my Edge, I was just curious.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:32 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: BadBoy__MadMikey

i only have problems with my lipo during the winter is on my foamies but thats where i'm using every bit of power it has. were in our planes you never really touch it's posibilty of power. for example i'm running packs that have 35amp rating. most i will ever pull is about 10 amps and thats if a servo fails or binds up!!! but i've learned that during the winter you have to keep you lipos warm if you flying them on a foamie. i have a hip sack that i put hand warmers in to keep the bats at about 80 degrees f. i've done the testing. i temp checked a battery at 60 degrees and got 5 minutes of flight. on the same mah pack i got it at 85 degrees and got 9 to 10 minutes of flight!!!! if the packs are cold you lose about 50% compasty!!!!! a manufactor told me tht and after testing it i beleive it!!!!

mikey
this is almost 100% true but you dont lose capcity in the cold you lose the ability of the battery to hold voltage under a certain load for example with my foamys and your it needs to pull 20 amp on a 3 cell pack if it will pull the volts down to about 12 on a full pack and hold for a while as the capicty is being used up now do this on a 35° day and the battery will only hold those volts under that load for half the time but if you take the same battery put a 1 amp load on it on the 35° day you will get virtually all its capcity

the cold is like making the straw smaller on a soda in the winter the straw is teeny tiny and in the summer the straw is a McDonalds straw
Old 08-09-2006, 06:57 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Speaking of the cuffs, my kit came with them also. What it did not come with was the Wild Hare RC graphic on the wing. Guess that is one way to get around the spelling issue! Does anyone out there know a good place to go to get this Graphic. Also, is there any concensus on which spinner is best to use on this plane. The Regular shape or Extra shape. Also any recommendations between Tru Turn or Carbon Fiber spinner?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Tired Old Man

For the spinner try Esprit Models in Florida and look at the fiberglass spinners. I've used them under a different brand name and they are great. VERY light!! They come in the correct shape already.

Look for a sheet of plastic covered graphics somewhere in the boxes. Sometimes they (labor people) get lazy and just put them in the box. Tom used to have some graphics that could be downloaded on his website that could be reproduced at any place that does vinyl.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:43 PM
The bird man

Tonight I did the hinging on the ailerons. I'm glad that job is done! I think if I could find someone local that would do the hinging I would gladly pay to have that task done. I like all aspects of building except HINGING[:'(][:'(]! I still have the rudder to do but I'll wait until the engine is mounted. I'll start that tomorrow if all goes right. I had sent out my servos (4) 5945 (1) 5955 & (1) 425BB and my receiver to have them checked after the Edge went down and I got the news today. Two of the 5945 had damaged case tops and the 425 needed a new lead/connector and case bottom. The other three servos and the JR649 receiver are fine. Everything got a thorough check at the manufacturer. Total cost..... $0.00. Way to go JR and Hitec! My only expense was shipping them out (about $10 total). I call that cheep insurance. Thanks Silversurfer for recommending that I just send them in. I was going to take them apart and try to fix them myself (bad idea[sm=thumbdown.gif]). I'm sure it would have cost more then $10!!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Tired Old Man

You're welcome.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:52 PM
BadBoy__MadMikey

Hey Guys,
by sometime tomorrow i should have a pretty new DA 50 sitting on my door step!!!!! monday my hardware kit from Tom should be here. all i have left is to mount the motor and throttle and choke servos, install tank. install all ontrol horns and make push rods, install rudder servo and make pull-pull setup. balance her and she will be ready to go!!! i hope to madien her next weekend wish it was this weekend, i'm flying at a contest. if you want some great high quailty decals chack out Kirby Graphics. do a google search and it should come right up!!! i have some JR and a DA logos on the way!!!

Mikey
Old 08-10-2006, 10:10 AM
sailing1

Hey Silver Surfer -- thanks for the tip on Esprit Models. The spinners look great. Got any idea what the weight difference would be between the fiberglass and Carbon ones. I really like the looks of the back plate and the way the cone attaches to the plate.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Tired Old Man

If the back plate is the same between tha C/F and the glass spinners my guess is that the glass will be just a smidge lighter. In any case I don't believ the difference would be more than a couple of grams anyway.

As for the tip, your welcome. I got the same tip from another person here in the W/H forum. I used to buy the same product from another company for a lot more money. Esprit is the way to go.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:24 PM
sailing1

Talk about a deal. Just got off the phone with Esprit models and ordered the 4 inch fiberglass spinner with lightened backplate for the grand sum of $29.00. It only comes in white but that is what paint is for. Maybe I will get creative for the new Extra!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:41 PM
BadBoy__MadMikey

i thought about running a CF spinner but after talking to Tom he said the fact that i was running the Da50 which is real light i might have to move alot of thing farward to get the balance right. so i decided to go with a aluminum spinner he sales. plus with the landing gear being polished i think a polished spinner will match and be cool!!!!

Mikey
Old 08-10-2006, 04:26 PM
sailing1

I tried a polished Ultimate style spinner that I had on hand and it looked OK but was really heavy. I am running a DA50 also but am not worried about the balance at all. I will for sure be placing at least one of the Troy 2800 LiIon batteries on the engine box and may have the others up front somewhere as well. Setup is going to be with the fiberglass spinner (painted black) and carbon fiber gear with the PSP titianum axles and Kavan wheels and tires. I may also use an extra Titanium tail wheel setup I have from my Double Vission which is at least 1 1/2 onces lighter than the stock setup. I am also going with a carbon wing and elevator tube for strenth and a little bit of weight savings. Pull-pull will probably also be used. Using these parts should bring me in way at the bottom of the weight range. Will post some weights on the completed plane if it ever gets below 100 degrees in my shop. Wonder if planes get lighter when stuff melts off of them?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Bobby Folsom

When you guys say "Lipo" batteries do you actually mean Lipo and not Li-ion battery? I thought there was some question as to the discharge rate being appropriate and also lipos holding up to the excess vibration on a gas plane but then what do I know?

Bobby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.