Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Baby Edge 540 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:31 AM
wings19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby Edge 540 questions

I've been looking through the posts for this plane but I have some quick questions that I couldn't answer...

First, how well does this plane 3D? I've seen some videos but none of them get too crazy and thats the type of flying I get into. I'm just looking at the control surfaces and they seem somewhat small for 3D. Ailerons don't seem deep enough or close enough to the fuse to have a lot of authority in a hover to counter a torque roll or to stop one. Elevators seem small also for walls and such. I fly an H9 Showtime now, maybe I'm just used to how large those surfaces are. I also looked at the pics of the 28% and those are much larger in comparison to plane size.

Second, I'd like to go gas because I fly A LOT and I want to be more economical on fuel. I'm having a tough time deciding on an engine, the Brison 2.4 seems ok but I'm not too familiar with the brand name/history. How well does this engine pull out of hovers? In the RCU video it seemed to pull out ok but kinda hard to tel because he was higher up and the angle was hard to see.

Finally, I was wondering if someone could take some measurements of the height of this plane from the ground with the canopy off. Like where the landing gear is, and top of the turtle deck right behind the back of the canopy. Rudder height and maybe even the front of the cowl. Basically I want to see if I can fit it in my 300C throught the back seats, my Showtime fits almost perfectly.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Baby Edge 540 questions

First, the Brison engine line is one of the best. Just because a zillion dollars was never spent on advertising along with a hundred or more engines not being given to the top competitors does not mean it's not a top performer. It just means it's been in the background more. Manufacturing quality and performance of the Brison engine line has always been very high. I have three Brison engines, a pair of 3.2's and a 105cc twin. When I purchased them I had the option of buying any engine in the same size classes. I went with the Brisons for power, quality, and reliability and have never regretted the decisions.

As far as the 2.4 being enough engine...it's waay over the top to perform excellent 3D if the plane has been set up properly. The ability of any engine to pull a plane out of a hover is entirely up to the owner. If they sized the engine correctly for the aircraft, and in this case it has been, then the amount of additional weight the assembler throws into a plane controls what the engine can do. The Baby Edge can do any maneuver that you are capable of performing. That's been proven over and over. Personally, my thoughts were that it flies a little better than it's 28% big brother. I'm going to catch some heat over that, but that was my feeling at the time.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wings19,

I'm looking at the same plane and going to put a Brillelli 40cc engine on the business end. Go to the Brillelli site and there is a video of the Baby Edge 540 flying with the Brillelli 40cc gasser. The Brillelli engines are great at a nice price and you can't beat the customer service. I have had their 25cc engine and currently running there 26cc on a GSP Giles 202 and I have the 40cc engine on order.

http://www.scottellingson.com/brillelli_011.htm
Old 08-24-2006, 09:19 PM
wings19

Thanks, Zippi, looks good. I would still like to see a video with some more 3D type flying but that looks like a good engine also, its hard to choose.

What is really going to make or break it for me is whether or not it will fit in my car thats why the measurements I asked about would be good.

Also, about the control surfaces, they just seem too small for 3D but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:04 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See this review.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=583

TF
Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Tired Old Man

That's the first time I've watched any of those videos. What becomes instantly apparent is that the Baby Edge flies as good or better, probably better, than anything in it's size class and matches quite a few a lot larger in size. The videos also verify what I've been saying about this plane since the first time I flew one. For size, value, and performance it can't be beat.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:24 AM
wings19

I like to hear that Silversurfer, sounds like a great plane... Can anyone get me a height? I need a height measurement at the landing gear, just behind the canopy at the start of the turtle deck (highest point) and the rudder height all with the canopy off. I can't buy the plane if it doesn't fit in my car. I have to run it up through my back seats that fold down in my trunk.

Just like this:

Old 08-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Tired Old Man

I should be seeing one on Sunday. If you don't have the measurement by then I'll have it for you late in the day.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:20 PM
wings19

Thanks a lot, its greatly appreciated!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:29 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Flight report 3d style on mine before i sold it. The ailerons were more than enough to do anti torg rolls. They could have been bigger but they got it done in the stall. The plane did walls so well that i bent the wing tubes untill i switched to carbon tube. It flew almost as light as a da50 powered 28% edge but the bigger edge had the "edge" on it hehe. that was a os160 powered baby edge sold to get a smaller plane that would fit in my truck with the 28%er.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 PM
wings19

Thanks a lot Mike, thats what I wanted to know! Where do you get the carbon wing tube?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Tired Old Man

Tom may be carrying them. Another two sources are Troy Built Models and TnT Landing Gear.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:45 AM
flatlandmike

I got mine through Troybuilt.

Any time, I like to give my opinions.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:34 PM
wings19

I see them at troybuilt, which one did you get?
Old 08-26-2006, 07:21 PM
flatlandmike

I dont remember; I got mine about a year ago. I called WH and asked what size i needed then ordered the size I needed. If yours isn't bent, you can measure it.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:11 PM
wings19

Yeah I could do that, I just dont have one yet thats all
Old 08-26-2006, 09:16 PM
flatlandmike

Old 08-31-2006, 02:08 PM
wings19

doesn't anyone have this plane? ... To take some measurements
Old 08-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Tired Old Man

I forgot to take a tape measure with me last Sunday.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:10 PM
wings19

Thats alright... It seems that wild hare (rctom?) would be able to tell me, at least if they wanted to sell a plane they would...[sm=75_75.gif]
Old 08-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Tired Old Man

That depends a lot on if they have one in stock at the moment.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:21 PM
aj and phoenix
My Feedback: (2)

Heights are as follows:

At Landing Gear = 14"
At Turtle Deck = 14.5"
Top of rudder = 18.25"
There may be a slight variation due to the fact that I changed out the tail gear from the stock one to a CF from Troy built.

Mine weighs 12lb. 4oz. with a Brison 2.4 and pulls out of vertical maneuvers with authority. The engine has only had about a gallon of gas through it so far so I am certain that it will only get stronger as it breaks in.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:57 AM
wings19

aj thank you so much bro! Those measurements are exactly what I wanted to hear, same height as my showtime. Looks like I'll be adding a bunny to my hangar soon!
Old 09-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Tired Old Man

If you leave out the tailwheel to the top of rudder and figure only from the bottom of the fuselage to the top of rudder it's 14". I remembered to measure one today. I rounded up to 15" to the top of the turtle deck behind the canopy from the ground.

Thanks again, AJ. I'm glad someone remembered before I did.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:19 PM
sl1200mk2

I have a couple questions myself! I've been pondering over numerous planes in the 70" range and I think I've finally settled on the 73" Baby Edge. Looks like the next perfect step for me -- this will be my 4th plane. I'll be stepping up from a UcanDo 40 size with a Saito .91 in it. Looking to do entry level IMAC and continuing my 3D learning. I really want something larger and more precise than what I have now.

A couple questions:

1. Not quite ready to step up to gas (that'll be the next setup), so I'm going to stay 4 stroke. I love the Saito's and plan to use a 1.80. I've searched this forum and have seen two people using the same engines. Anyone else have experience? Both seemed pretty happy. I'm at sea level, so I think the power will be good. I always run 30% heli fuel in my .91 (I just like the extra power and smoothness).

2. If I remember correctly, each of the guys using Saitos did different rudder servo setups -- one pull / pull and the other with the servo in the tail. With a Saito 1.80 which would be the better option (keeping balancing in mind)?

If Tom's reading this -- what's the availability like? What I'm getting at is I'm not going to be ready to pull the tigger on getting the whole setup together until after the xmas holidays. Are you planning on producing these for a while? If not, I'm going to go ahead and just get the air-frame now and I'll just have to hide it at the office or way in the back of the garage.

Thanks -

Wayne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.