Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Edge flight trim questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 07:24 PM
aj and phoenix
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge flight trim questions

I have finished my baby Edge and flown it for a couple of weekends. When I assembled it I checked the incidences and set them to zero compared to the datum line of the hatch surface. The engine (Brison 2.4) was mounted on machined aluminum standoffs so the height of those are the same. I thought I had the motor location centered vertically in the nose ring of the cowl when I mounted it. After final assembly, the spinner appears a little low at the top of the cowl ring but very close to right at the bottom.

On the first flight I had to put 9 clicks of Up trim in the elevator to get it to fly level under power! Otherwise, the plane wants to dive toward the ground. In knife edge the plane seems to pull toward the canopy. My 28% WH pulls toward the belly in knife edge so I am used to pulling some elevator. I could be pulling some elevator on the 1.20 Edge without realizing it. What is the best way to determine which it is? With the need for so much up trim for straight and level flight, is that an indication of too much down thrust?

Is there an issue that can be corrected on the 28% Edge to minimimize the pitch coupling with application of rudder? I also have to hold a good bit of opposite aileron on the 28%er to KE is that normal?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Edge flight trim questions

AJ,

It sounds like the c/g is too far aft. The amount of up trim was the first clue and pitching to the canopy pretty much made it certain. Fly it level and upright and then cut the throttle to idle. See how much it pitches down. Now fly it level inverted and do the same. Again see how much it pitches down. If it's quite a bit either way it's a balance issue.

Fly the plane on a 45 degree upline and cut the throttle to idle. Does it start heading for the ground right away? If yes, it's balance. Do the same on a 45 degree down line. If the plane heads towards the down vertical when you cut the throttle it's nose heavy.

Fly level inverted and see how much "down" elevator you are holding to maintain level flight. If it's more than just a very light touch you're nose heavy.

How have you and Wonder Dog been?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Edge flight trim questions

Forward, I meant to say forward, not aft. Sorry 'bout that.