Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Aileron gap question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:28 PM
OverTheEdge
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron gap question.

My Edge arrived today... everything seems to be in good shape except one thing... My right aileron seems to be bowed out. If I bring the joint together at the root end... the tip end has a 1/4" to 5/16" gap. [:@] Has anyone else had this problem?
I suppose I could split the difference but that will still leave atleast a 1/8"+ at each end. [:'(]
One other option I guess would be to cut the belly out of the hinge gap in the middle.... ????
Or do I try to get a replacement?
This is my first gasser... what is the exceptable hinge gap... I realize I'll be sealing the gaps but certainly there's a tolerance I should stay with in.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Aileron gap question.

You should always contact Wild Hare first, it would have been corrected by now. Now we are on vacation for a week.

TF
Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 PM
OverTheEdge

Tom,
I just got the plane today... you shipped it on monday. Great shipping service, I wasn't expecting it until thursday or friday!
Anyway, I knew you were on vacation, that's why I posted the question here... you need a vacation just like everyone else.
I just figured I'd start by posting the question here to see if there were any recommended fixes or if I should just try to get a replacement or what?...
Other than this small issue I must say that I'm VERY happy with the first impressions of this kit!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd just work around the one aileron and do everything else. Save hinging the aileron side of that wing for last. By about that time Tom will have returned from vacation and set you up as required. Fortunatly there's plenty to do before you get to that point and you even can make up linkages for both sides using the good side as a guide for length.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:57 AM
OverTheEdge

Thanks for the input Pat, that's kinda the answer I was looking for. Being that this is my first Gasser and also the biggest plane that I've owned to date... I wanted to get a feeling from others if this would be considered ok or if I should try to get with Tom or repair etc... Like I said in answer to Tom's posting... I did realize he's on vacation and I'm a firm believer that everyone needs a vacation... so I didn't want to bother him with this until he got back and I knew I'd get some good guidence on here.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No worries. One of the great things about going with Wild Hare is not only the usual high quality, but the wonderful service as well. Every so often something squeaks through that should not, but it always gets handled quickly and professionally. Sorry to hear you received one with a warped aileron but again, no worries on that score. If I was home right now I'd send you one off my spare, but unfortunately that's not possible. Hopefully you saved the boxes the wings came in, but if not it can be worked around.

Pat
Old 08-23-2007, 09:41 AM
OverTheEdge

Yup... I have the boxes still... I'm gonna lay a straight edge across the aileron and the wing to find out if the problem is in the wing or the aileron... I'm guessing it'll be in the aileron... in which case (depending on how Tom prefers to handle it when he get's back from vacation) It might be just as easy to swap out the aileron????
In the mean time... If I ever stop foaming at the mouth and starring at this thing... Maybe I'll actually get some of the other stuff done. lol

btw... my spinner is on backorder and I'd like to get started on the engine mounting... Does the back plate on the Dave Brown spinner that Tom sends out with this combo come straight out or does it recess back alittle bit??? Didn't know if I need to factor this in when mounting the engine/ fabricating standoffs etc... ??? Of course... maybe I should just wait on this too until I get my spinner... LOL I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
TheFoxes
My Feedback: (2)

No part of my Dave Brown spinner (from Tom ) extends aft beyond it's center. The backside is recessed some, but comparing the center and the outside edge, it is essentialy "flat". That being said, you're going to want your exact spinner in place to get the "look" of the thing the way you want it when you set up your engine mount. Mine is actually a litlle higher than center (1/16"?) to get the top cowl/spiner profile just the way I wanted.

ff