Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Maiden Flight 35% Extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Derek8819
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden Flight 35% Extra 300

I got a chance this weekend to finally maiden this BEAUTIFUL bird and wanted to give a little summary of the building/first flight. The assembly was pretty straight forward, the pocket hinges really made things easy, they made for a no-slop and very free hinge system. I am using dual 5625s on the wings, and single 5955s on the rest of the surfaces. I used glue to secure the precut canopy and after it had dried I noticed a crease in the plastic canopy so I am going to have to replace both from Tom. This is my first airplane using 2.4 technology and I was slightly nervous due to the recent reciever issues, but after ALOT of test I was pretty confident. I used a ZDZ 80 with pitts muffler and I was concerned about the power/weight ratio after it weighed 25.5lbs on my bathroom scale, however after the first flight I now know this will not be an issue. The plane only needed one click of down trim and tracked well. The ZDZ with a Mejlik 26x8 pulled the plane vertically with AUTHORITY, I am more impressed with this engine every day. I did notice a bit of pull to the belly during knife edge, but the plane balanced well on the ground so I will have to do some tinkering later. I had to cut the flight short because the muffler came loose, but she landed without issue. I am loving the new edge that Wildhare is comming out with, when I call Tom for the new hatch I may see if he is taking deposits. Thanks for another great plane, I can see enjoying it for a long time to come.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Capt Lou

Default RE: Maiden Flight 35% Extra 300

Derek:

Nice plane! It really looks sharp. Your description of the assembly is good and your statements on performance is helpful. One thing you didn't discuss is the battery technology you used in the build. I just bought my first gas plane, the Wildhare Extra 300 with a DA-50 and Bissson Pitts muffler. I too use 2.4 ghz (JR X9303) and I put one 2300 mah A123 battery on the ignition and two 2300 mah A123 on the RX. It's an awesome combination. I now have 56 flights on it without a glitch. The A123 technologhy gives me plenty of flight time and after 5-6 flights I recharge for safety. It takes me 5-10 minutes to recharge the batteries. Tom has begun to talk up the A123 batteries on this thread and it is the way to go if you haven't used tried it. Good luck with the plane!

Capt Lou
Old 07-26-2008, 08:36 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful plane Derek!

TF
Old 07-28-2008, 06:28 PM
gregman50

Nice plane, post some more pics if you can please.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:34 PM
texasskydiver
My Feedback: (8)

ANy more pics or updates?? I just recently picked up on of the Quick Build prototypes that Tom will soon be offering and all I can say is wow!!! Looking forward to getting it into the air.