RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   WildHare R/C Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/wildhare-r-c-support-355/)
-   -   DA50 Choke connection to servo (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/wildhare-r-c-support-355/3592933-da50-choke-connection-servo.html)

skyriter 11-27-2005 04:42 PM

DA50 Choke connection to servo

Just got my first Bunny - Extra 300 special with DA50R and was wondering what most of you are doing re the Choke connection to a servo. What do you do about the small arm on the choke? Wondering why DA did not put the same arm on the choke as they did on the throttle?

BTW - plane looks great. Arrived with no damage at all.

Thanks

Bruce

mstroh3961 11-27-2005 05:23 PM

RE: DA50 Choke connection to servo

1 Attachment(s)
I just screwed a sullivan ball link to the stock arm. The link that comes with a plastic rod end that locks over a ball. Only drawback to this is the servo endpoint has to be turned way down. It works fine anyway. The other option is to grind off the end of the choke shaft. and remove the stock arm. Replace with a nose wheel stearing arm.

rctom 11-27-2005 07:02 PM

If your choke arm is in the wrong position or can't be used for some reason, it's easy to make a better one. First remove the old one by sanding off the brass end, the old arm will just fall off.

Start with a 3/16" wheel collar.

Drill all the way through the first hole and out the other side so you can tap all the way through with a 6-32 tap. Now you have 2 6-32 holes 180 degrees apart.

INstall the wheel collar on the choke shaft and secure it with a 6-32 allen lock screw. On the other side install a small length of 6-32 threaded rod or a 6-32 screw. If you used a screw, cut its head off.

IN place of the head screw on a dubro horn bracket like we use in the HW kit for the tailwheel tiller arm.

You can position this arm wherever you need it.

TF

skyriter 11-28-2005 02:32 AM

Thanks for the info... sounds like that should work. Was not sure what it would take to get the old arm off.

Tom. Plane sure looks good. Now just need time to get it together. Will have to get a bigger XMAS tree this year for it to fit under.

Thanks again.

Bruce

Nogyro 11-28-2005 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pics to give you some ideas. Standard arm on the choke is no problem even with a std. servo. Plenty of power, just turn your ATV's down. My DA 50 is one of the older ones, so the carb is rotated 180 degrees from the new ones. I think the linkage is easier to install with the carb turned this way.

skyriter 11-29-2005 02:39 AM

Thanks.. picture is worth a thousand words. I was thinking that the choke leaver was a little on the short side. Yes... the DA50 I have has the levers on the other side, but this will not make any difference.

Bruce

jongurley 11-29-2005 07:17 AM

Guys I am ordering a DA-50 for my Extra Special,,, my question is about the Standoffs for the engine, is the standoffs for the edge and extra's the same or what and if so what length do I need,,,thx

Nogyro 11-29-2005 07:40 AM

The Edge and the Extra Special take the same standoffs for the DA50. I'm pretty sure they are the 3" standoffs plus a strong 1/4" spacer.

Ken Bryant 11-29-2005 07:51 AM

If you are getting a DA 50 order it with the 3" stand offs. If you can't get one with the 3" I believe you can swap them direct from DA. The total length required for the stand off is 3 1/4" typically. I say typically because of the 4 planes I have built 1 needed a 3 3/8" to get the length needed to clear the cowl. If you have the spare $$$ you can have a custom set of stand offs made for $40.00ish from what I have seen.

Nogyro 11-29-2005 08:03 AM

Ken,

Thanks for the verification on the stand off lengths. It's been over a year now since I set mine up...... Memory is starting to fade a bit.:D