Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Wren Turbines USA
Reload this Page >

Wren 44 gold on diesel.

Community
Search
Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

Wren 44 gold on diesel.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Wren 44 gold on diesel.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM0o6hoFUGc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Posting a video of the first run of my wren 44 on diesel.

Reason for this is to have some long term results on the web. Others talk about doing it but no videos or other info posted that I can find.

Anyways I will post updates maybe 1/2 way through the upcoming flying season or if my turbine fails.

Please keep in mind this turbine is out of warranty
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wren 44 gold on diesel.

We have tested our motors on diesel and they do very run well, aside from the John Deere smell!

The only down side to operating these turbines using diesel is that we have no real way (unless you are a chemist), of knowing the sulphur content
(even though they claim "low sulphur content").

The inconel used in our combustion chambers ( especially the burner sticks), begins to lose its' corrosion resistance when exposed to sulphur.

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks Ron![8D]
Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 AM
speed is life

Hi Ron; Posted this on the forum thread as well:

Interesting points on this thread, the turbine manufacturers evidently base their concern on the corrosion of the injectors caused by high sulfur content of "standard" Diesel.
The reference to the sulfur content of Kero -vs- Diesel evidently is the 900lbs gorilla in the room because there is so much variance worldwide.

As far as I can discern, the sulfur standard for pump grade Kero in the USA is "less than 400ppm". (How much less?)
Quote: "1-K specifications set by ASTM  D-3699 and is specially refined to contain less than 400 ppm Sulfur max."
-Now-
The USA current Federal EPA standard for highway pump #1 Diesel "ULSD" (ultra low sulfur diesel) is "max 15ppm sulfur"

So is the mandated pump grade  #1Diesel sold for highway use in the USA actually preferable to our Kero insofar as desirable levels of sulfur?

Pump grade #1 Diesel is still relatively less expensive than 1K Kero here in the States......
-Mike

Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

So the point I am trying to make is this:

If Wren says it is okay to run diesel in the Wren turbines...and an owner uses a high sulphur content grade fuel that damages the motor, the owner would then expect that the damages were covered under the manufacturers warranty. This is simply the reason we do not recommend this.
Wren has never stated that the motor will not run on these alternative fuels, (they actually run quite fine), but if the user happens to get a hold of a high sulphur fuel, I can assure you the sticks will corrode over a period of time. And so in the end, where was the cost savings??

Happy New Year