Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 63 idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 63 idle

HELP!!!!

I have the YS 63 engine and can't get it to idle without becoming too rich and quitting. I have the low end screw as lean as i can get it and it still over loads. Is there anything else I can do?

I'm running the 20/20 fuel it recommends and a 12x7 prop. If i can't get this running I'm going to send it in to YS for repairs. From all of the complaints I've seen about this engine, maybe I should just sell it and buy a RELIABLE OS 70 surpass 4 stroker. I have it on a ultra stick 40 and a stick is meant to be flown low and slow! I can't fly it around the way I like without having the engine quit. What do you guys think?
Old 09-29-2003, 12:40 PM

Default RE: YS 63 idle

I have the low end screw as lean as i can get it and it still over loads. Is there anything else I can do?
Skysurfer, when you say you have the low speed as lean as you can get it, do you mean you have the low speed needle all the way in or all the way out? You may or may not know this but the low speed needle adjustment is reverse of the high speed needle (and most others for that matter) where it is richer turning in and leaner turning out. You may already know this and if you do I appologise, just FYI. Also maybe try turning the regulator in a bit (1/4 turns at a time). This may also help the idle mixture.

Brian
Old 10-01-2003, 01:56 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Spec on the low end is 1 turn out (ccw) from all the way in to begin. Then 1/8 turns at a time to adjust.

Also the regulator screw should start out as close to even with the case as possible.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I did try both things mentioned with no luck. The thing just doesn't want to idle. I guess it's time to send it back to YS... i should have bought an OS []
Old 10-01-2003, 05:32 PM

You may already be doing this, but don't forget the only way to adjust a YS is to rev it up between each adjustment of the idle screw.

If you keep 'chasing' the adjustment without letting it rev up, you will probably never get it to idle with the right mixture.

. . just a thought!

-David c.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:36 PM
My Feedback: (12)

I know we're not supposed to post here, so delete this if need be:

Would you please post what fuel and plug you are running?? Thanks.