Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

ys 110s lean out problems

Old 07-12-2020, 06:12 AM
yepe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ys 110s lean out problems

Hi guys, need your help on my 110s engine. When I advance to full throttle engine leans out and dies. High speed setting is 1.5 turns Low speed setting 3 turns. Im using apc 14x10 prop. Cosmo 20 nitro 18 oil. I tried setting it to 1.7 turns, some times engine will run smooth sometimes it will lean out. Engine idling and low to mid is ok. I notice that fuel leaks out from the carb. Also notice that I can not remove fuel from the fuel tank if im using T fuel tank plumbings.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2020, 05:02 PM
d jones
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by yepe
Hi guys, need your help on my 110s engine. When I advance to full throttle engine leans out and dies. High speed setting is 1.5 turns Low speed setting 3 turns. Im using apc 14x10 prop. Cosmo 20 nitro 18 oil. I tried setting it to 1.7 turns, some times engine will run smooth sometimes it will lean out. Engine idling and low to mid is ok. I notice that fuel leaks out from the carb. Also notice that I can not remove fuel from the fuel tank if im using T fuel tank plumbings.
Thanks
Bet you got an air leak in or around the tank. It should charge to about 4 psi while running and hold that for a few minutes after shutdown
Old 07-13-2020, 12:12 AM
tih
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To expand on that just a little bit: yes, the variability suggests that there is a pressure leak somewhere, as d_jones says, so check that. However, the fuel leaking from the carburetter would most often mean that your regulator is letting fuel through when it shouldn't - possibly because of some dirt in it. You do have a fuel filter in front of it, I hope? See this useful fact sheet for plumbing schematic and other information. The regulator may also have a weak spring, or someone may have loosened its adjustment screw a bit much. You might want to turn it 1/4 turn clockwise, and see if that stops the fuel leak.

Note that you can't just start these engines, and expect them to run at full throttle right away. An easy way to start them is to run the starter with the engine at full throttle, and no glow driver attached for about ten seconds (to get some initial pressure into the tank, and fuel to the carb), then throttle back to a fast idle position, attach the glow driver, and start. After that, you should let the engine run at a fast idle for half a minute before attempting to throttle up, because it needs to fully build tank pressure, stabilize the fuel flow, and warm up a little bit.

You can now tune the main needle and idle screw as per the instructions. What the instructions don't say, is that the regulator might need some adjustment, too. You can check that, once the high speed and idle are good, by checking the transition from full throttle to around 4000 rpm, and back to full throttle, just like you checked the transition to and from idle. If this medium speed position seems rich, turn the regulator adjustment screw clockwise, if lean, counterclockwise. Just a little bit at a time, no more than 1/4 turn, and then 1/8 turn increments once you're near the correct setting. As with all the other adjustments, always remember that with the YS engines, it takes time from you make the adjustment until it "takes"; give the engine time to stabiIize after any adjustment.

If you have to adjust the regulator, you should go back and redo the high speed and idle adjustments, and then check the medium speed again.

Oh, and yeah, if you've got the plumbing set up as in the fact sheet, above, you won't be able to pump fuel out of the tank, because the pump will draw air from the carb through the regulator. I put a clamp on the fuel line between the tee and the regulator when I need to empty the tank.
The following users liked this post:
jeep36 (02-11-2021)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:20 AM
tih
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, I finally re-found the thread I wanted to link to here...

Please read, carefully, Troy Newman's responses in this thread. He's answering a question about the FZ-140, but it applies to your engine as well.

Oh, and please let us know how you get on with your engine!

-tih
Old 07-16-2020, 09:23 PM
yepe

Thanks guys I will update on the results.