Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Ys63

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 05:10 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ys63

I am planning on breaking in a YS63 on a bench. What is the proper break in procedure? Should the engine be run up to full throttle during break in? Any break-in prop suggestions? Also, I am planning on using Coolpower 30%nitro/23%synthetic oil, is this fuel ok with this engine?Thanks!
Old 05-08-2002, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ys63

I like to run the engine in 3 to 5 minute bursts with a complete cool down between runs. Start very rich, and on each successive run lean the needle in a couple of clicks. Do this to accumulate about 1/2 hour of running time. By the time you get done, the last run should be at about 500 rpm to the rich side of peak. Then you can put it in your airplane and go fly. Lots of guys don't do this, but just run the engine rich for the first 10 or 12 flights. I prefer the bench-running method.

The CP 30% is fine. I also use Powermaster 30% heli with good results.

Dave Shadel
Old 05-09-2002, 01:59 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ys63

Should the bench runs be at wide open throttle? What size prop should I use for break-in?
Old 05-09-2002, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ys63

Run the engine at full throttle. Start with the high speed needle about 2 turns open. That should make it really rich. If you feel it's not rich enough go another 1/2 turn. 11x7 APC works great for break in, 11x8 or 12x7 is a good flying prop for aerobatic type
birds.