Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Weird 140 problem

Old 05-11-2002, 07:58 PM
robert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird 140 problem

Hi,
A while back, I got my first large/4-stroke/YS engine, and was really delighted. It was a 140 L. I mounted it on a gator mount, and mated it to a probuild pipe, and power manifold. The pipe hangs out under the detachable wing, on the outside. Anyway, I started it a couple of times, and it ran nicely. Then, I began to run into problems. It would start o.k., but when above half throttle, it cut out. I then rang a guy who REALLY knows his YS stuff, and he advised me to adjust the regulator. I did that, and it ran nicely again. I did my first 2 flights with the plane, and the engine was really running nicely. I then went out again, and the engine started for a couple of seconds, but cut out. It did that twice, before refussing to start. I went home, and tried again, and it just won't start. I often get a quick spring to life with the starter, but it quits immediately. I have got a little run since, for about 20 seconds, before it went out again. The engine is all the time flooding, and I have cheked to see if there was any dirt in the regulator. It all seems fine, although I am not sure if any of the holes should be closing up, and if they are supposed too, I think that they might be open all the time. When I say that it floods, it has ALOT of feul coming out the Carb, and eventually, it locks itself.
PLEASE tell me that there is a simple solution I can do!!
I am willing to answer any questions you have.
Thanks for the help.
Robert.
There is light at the end of the tunnel, just have to find it!
Old 05-12-2002, 02:10 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My L did something like this at one time, turns out my check valve was bad. Would be worthwhile to clean it or replace it and try again.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:26 AM
robert

I got a new check valve, and it is generating a good amount of preasure in the tank now. But it is still not working well.
Old 05-12-2002, 02:43 PM
robert

YYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! !!
I adjusted it more, messed around with the pipes, and yahoooo does it go, leaving me sorounded in a huge cloud of smoke!
All I have to do now is adjust it, as above half throttle, it begins to lose RPM, and begin to bang REALLY loud. I cut it then just to make sure it didn't backfire or anything.
So, what should I do!
Thanks chad for your help so far. I think infact that I had a little chat with you at the W/C, after a flight. I was scribing in the morning, and free in the afternoon.
Anyway, thanks from one VERY ECSTATIC YS OWNER!
Robert.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:14 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by robert
YYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! !!
I adjusted it more, messed around with the pipes, and yahoooo does it go, leaving me sorounded in a huge cloud of smoke!
All I have to do now is adjust it, as above half throttle, it begins to lose RPM, and begin to bang REALLY loud. I cut it then just to make sure it didn't backfire or anything.
So, what should I do!
Thanks chad for your help so far. I think infact that I had a little chat with you at the W/C, after a flight. I was scribing in the morning, and free in the afternoon.
Anyway, thanks from one VERY ECSTATIC YS OWNER!
Robert.
Hi Robert

Still sounds like a lack of pressure. When I had a problem like this I still had a good blast of air out of the tank. With insufficient pressure you will idle and the motor will pick up but at some point the engine cannot get enough fuel then run lean and start to detonate, which is that banging sound. I dont know if you have cleaned or replaced the check valve but I would try that first, dont rely on the burst of air to ensure that you have pressure, make sure that your check is in good shape.

Beyond that ensure that your regulator is flush, if it is dont touch it yet the motor should run correctly out of the box. THe condition sounds lean, make sure that your high speed needle is sufficiently rich, all of my L's run at ~1.5 turns out on the high end, set it at 2 turns and go from there. The low end should also be 1.5 turns out to start with. Make sure that all your lines are pin hole free and that your tank does not leak.

Check the valves, 0.002" (.051mm) is the place they should be. Make sure the valve cover is seated on the gasket properly, if it leaks you will get a lean run condition. A good way to make sure it seats and something I do to all my YS motors is to "true" the valve cover on a peice of glass with fine sandpaper. Essentially what you do is to sand the sealing surface on the glass until all the black oxide coating is removed, this gives a nice polished surface for the gasket to seal against.

I dont like removing the regulator until all other areas have been looked at as it is too easy to get some crud in there when you take it apart then you have real problems

Anyways try some of that and see what happens.

Sorry I dont remember speaking to you at the WC's it is still a blur for the most part Send me a picture of yourself and I might remember, I am better with faces
Old 05-13-2002, 08:49 PM
robert

Will do to-morrow, Irish time of course!