Search
Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Ys 53

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ys 53

I have a nearly new YS 53 on my Magic. Right from the box it ran PERFECT! With almost 1 gallon ran through it, I crashed the magic; not bad, it didn't even break a prop. It just folded the landing gear under the fuse and got the engine dusty.
Since then the engine doesn't want to idle relieable. When I start it cold, it idles either too fast or if I trim the idle down ( 2 clicks) it will die in the air (if I fly it with a few clicks of the throttle for a minute or so).
If I set the idle to fast...I cannot taxi safely.
So..... I check and clean the diaphragm, some fine dirt and no holes, then I took the high end needle valve out and blew compressed air through all of the tubeing, reasembled everything, and the same problem. I did not move the regulator screw because it ran so well were it was at. I also by-passed the fuel filter with no luck. The tank will hold pressure for hours; so the check valve works. The High end needle is out 1 turn? and the low end is out 1 1/8 turn. Also the high end needle valve is very sensitive, only a 1/4 of a turn at a time or it will die.

BTW when it idles, when it's fast... it's above 2000 RPM and when I set it below 2000RPM it idles ruff and dies in the air. If I get the Idle smooth (with above settings) if I rev it fast a couple a times it loads up and bogs down.

Also, after it warms up there is fuel leaking in the carb and I changed the check valve and the same problem. The intake vavle is set about .004"

Thanks Dave
Old 06-04-2002, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ys 53

The regulator sounds like is has some crud in it. You will need to remove it from the engine and disassemble it completely. Just be sure everything goes back together as it came apart. don't be afraid, it's not hard to do.
Good Luck.
Dave
Old 06-20-2008, 10:15 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Ys 53

I agree, a good cleaning is in order. I did the same thing to my YS 53 - ran great until I plowed it into some soft dirt. Didn't run worth shucks afterward even though it appeared to be fine - no damage. After a good ultra-sonic bath cleaning, it ran like a top again. I think these engines are precision instruments that don't get along well with dirt.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:23 PM
My Feedback: (2)

What the others said. Sounds like debris in the regulator. It doesn't take much to mess things up, just a speck. Take the engine apart, including the regulator and clean everything spotless. Reassemble it and I'll wager it'll run great.
Paul
Old 06-20-2008, 10:39 PM

I can't believe you guys are offering advice on a post from 2002... I'm guessing the guy either solved the problem or got rid of the engine...
Old 06-21-2008, 11:19 AM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: mjfrederick

I can't believe you guys are offering advice on a post from 2002... I'm guessing the guy either solved the problem or got rid of the engine...
Oops, didn't even look at the date of the OP. My bad.
Paul
Old 06-23-2008, 01:59 PM

Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I never looked at the original date either.[:@]