Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

ys 110 problem, huge problem

Old 04-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Wolfpack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ys 110 problem, huge problem

I bought a ys110 4 stroke one and a half years ago. November 2003. I have been flying this on a vector flight 66" extra. while flying mid throttle the engine suddenly made a weird noise and quite almost immeditely in the air - deadstick.

My friend Rich and I took it apart and you can see that the ROD BROKE under the wrist pin. I have been flying for 10 years and run my engines slightly rich since this ys has more than enough power than the extra 66 needs. 20/20 fuel. I tried this as my first ys since the engine boasts more power, but is it true they are this unreliable? I have read extensively on ys tunning, and my friend rich has had 2 ys engines in the past, so tunning is not the issue.

What are my options? While I was still on vacation with my family, my friend Rich looked up the warranty and suggested that it is out of warranty by 6 months. What are my options on this? Does this engine only have a one year warranty? I have never had a plane engine fail, let alone break at the rod. Where do I send this? how much will this cost to fix? Do these engine break at the rod commonly? I can't believe mine is the first one to do this. I would like to know if it is even worth it to fix it? Do I have to pay for this?

FYI:
I have many many planes and just ordered a yak 66 3d, got it last month and was going to put a ys110 on it but the ys is on national back order. I still have not bought an engine for that plane just yet.

thank you in advance for your help.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Dave Shadel

Default RE: ys 110 problem, huge problem

Send it to:

YS Service
1295 Industrial Court
Gardnerville, NV 89410

Phone 775-782-4562

Call the service mgr., Richard Verano, and plead your case. I'm sure he will take good care of you.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Wolfpack

thanks I will give him a call,

why are the 110's on back order for so long?
Old 04-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Dave Shadel

Because the YS factory cannot meet the demand. We shipped a batch last Thursday.