Can my 91FZ be repaired?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 PM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can my 91FZ be repaired?

Hi Dave,

After 2 good flights, the engine started to sound funny... kind of like a weird vibration/rattling in the air. Eventually, power lessened, and ultimately would not leave idle.

After disassembling the engine, I was dismayed and shocked to find the following:

There's extensive pitting on the conrod, underneath and all around the piston, and on the disc valve and rear cover.

There is extensive pitting on the crankcase in the area of the conrod and some pitting on the crankcase in the area of the counterbalance.

I have not been able to remove the bearings for examination (the crankshaft came out but the rear bearing stayed in). Although they do not freewheel, they seem to turn smoothly.

I can barely feel one or two scratches on the cylinder liner, but otherwise it's smooth.

My first question is: is this engine repairable? If so, what parts at a minimum need to be replaced? For instance, can I get by without replacing the crankcase, maybe sanding off the highpoints of the pitted areas?

My next question is: do you have any idea what this may have been caused by and what I can do to avoid it from happening again? The engine is soft mounted inverted, so it's impossible something dropped into the carb, although it's possible something was kicked in from underneath. Is it likely the engine ingested something through the carb, or through the fuel lines? Both lines have fuel filters on them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49687.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	278893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59234.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	278894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86526.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	278895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83400.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	278896  
Old 05-31-2005, 11:06 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can my 91FZ be repaired?

Send it in and ask for an estimate, it's free. Include your name and daytime phone number. Someone will call you with the details.

YS Service
1295 Industrial Court
Gardnerville, NV 89410
Old 06-02-2005, 01:16 AM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave,

By the way, I misspoke... it's not pitted, it's scored.

Although the estimate is free, postage is not.

I was hoping you could just give me a gut feeling after seeing the pictures.

So far, this is what I'm calculating. At a minimum, I'd have to replace these parts.

Piston $35.95
Piston Ring $14.25
Con Rod $20.25
Back Plate $34.50
Disc Valve $18.95
YS91AC Gasket Set $12.95
Cylinder Head Gasket $3.95

Total $140.80

Add the Cylinder Liner for $38.25 and I'm up to $180 in parts. Add Labor and shipping, and I'm looking at a total bill of over $250. I'm still hoping not to have to replace the crankcase which is another $50.

It's difficult for me to justify spending that much on repairs when a new 110FZ would be about $330.

Seeing that the 110 isn't available, I'm stuck repairing the engine - provided I do the repairs myself (trying to save some money).

If your gut says no way, then I'll ditch the idea of repairing it and find another solution.

If, on the other hand, you think it may be salvageable, I'll give it a try. Is there anything else on the engine to look for?

I would still like to know what may have caused this. Any feelings on that?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is not repairable, or you don't want to spend the money, send it in and see if Richard will work out a deal on a new 110. We do that in some cases. We'll have more 110's in a month or so.