YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS63 Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:04 PM
MarkHenderson
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS63 Question

I bought a used YS63 here on RCU (not the "S"). It appears to be a low-time, claen motor. I've got it on a YT International Freestyle Rush. The first few times out I had to fool with the adjustments (both needles and regulator a little) to get it to run well (I have a couple of other YS's and am quite familiar with their adjustments). I've got it pretty close now and can enjoy some good flights. I'm running PowerMaster 20/20, OS "F" plug, APC 13x4W and Master Airscrew 13x5, TruTurn spinner. I have 2 remaining problems I'd like to ask you advice on:

1. For the first ~20 seconds after the motor starts it will rev to over 11k which seems appropriate for this fuel/prop combo. I always crank the motor 10+ turns on full throttle prior to starting to pressurize the system. The fuel system is holding pressure well. After that time the revs will sink back to ~10.3 and pretty much stay there for the flight. What would cause this slow-down? I changed the main needle around to see if this was a too lean/too rich condition but doesn't appear to be. I also suspected overheating so I ran without the cowl, with exactly the same results. Now I'm wondering if the motor just isn't completely run-in?? It does seem to be getting better with every flight (I only have a handful of flights on it so far).

2. I intentionally have the idle a little fast while I'm sorting out the motor and the plane. After about 5minutes in the air the motor will quit while idling. I suspect this is just that I need to spend some more time on the LS needle, but provide this info in case it sheds come light on question #1?

Best regards-

Mark
Old 09-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: YS63 Question

The engine is overheating and losing it's fit. Either go to 30% heli fuel or run a smaller prop.

You can try stretching the plug element up out of the cavity about .030" to make it run hotter at idle. The 30% will also help the idling issue.

The problem is that your engine does not have a good hot compression seal to keep the plug hot at idle.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:42 AM
MarkHenderson

Dave - thanks for the prompt reply. I will try the things you suggest. Is there a fix for the low compression problem (like a new ring, piston, sleeve or something)?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 10:02 PM
Dave Shadel

It might need a whole top end, or might just need a ring. Hard to tell without seeing it. It could also be leaky valves. Lots of things in a four stroke to cause problems.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:54 PM
MarkHenderson

Dave - many thanks for the help - I will try the plug and fuel as the engine seems to work pretty well - I'll also check valve clearnaces etc. If anything gets worse I'll send it in! Your help on this forum is invaluable!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Dave Shadel

Hope you get it worked out.

Let me know if I can help.

Dave
Old 09-27-2005, 01:11 PM
MarkHenderson

Dave - just a little follow-up - I checked out the motor carefully, replaced the plug (OS F) and made sure it was tight, also adjusted the tappets (were 0.2mm so set them to 0.1mm). Switched to 30% heli fuel and the motor is running GREAT. I'm getting over 11k on the 13x5 on the ground and good pull in the air.

Many thanks!

Mark
Old 09-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Dave Shadel

Great! Keep us posted.

Good Flying!