YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Restoring a YS-120AC

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 08:58 AM
stroudj
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring a YS-120AC

I have a YS-120AC that I brought new in 1993 for my son. The engine has about a hour of bench running and was put installed on an Extra 300 that he was building at the time. Shortly afterwards life got in the way and we both stop building and flying. The engine is seized up from setting. I am now back building and flying and would like to use the engine in a future project.

I have the following questions:

1. Is this old engine with no run time worth restoring?
2. Is there parts kits available to replace all of the gaskets, seals if I were to restore it myself?
3. Could the YS service department do the work and if so about how much?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Restoring a YS-120AC

If you have the capability, do the work yourself. Part are available from YS parts at 775-782-4562.

Since the engine is locked up, sit it in the oven on a pie plate at 200 degrees for 15 minutes. Let it cool enough to handle it and load it with Marvel Mystery Oil and allow it to sit for a couple of days.
I caution you NOT to use the Marvel oil as an after run or assembly oil as it will destroy the seals. You don't care when taking it apart as they are junk anyway. A compatible oil for YS engines(and all other as well) is available at www.pspec.com We use it in YS Service during rebuilds.

You will need to replace all the gaskets, o-rings, diaphragm, and plunger, and possibly (probably) the bearings. Parts cost will be right at $100.

These were good engines and well worth the money and time to restore them

Good Luck!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
stroudj
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I will do what you suggested. When I call do I just ask for all seals, gaskets and bearing for a YS-120AC.

Thanks again,
Old 11-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's it.