YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Dave, I Thought The 110 Problem Was Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Sawacs
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave, I Thought The 110 Problem Was Fixed

Sad part of the story: I have spent the last 12 months trying to figure this engine out. At one point, I posted that the engine was running fine and throttle response ws good. Well, it was or sort of for one flying session. I had to replace a rear bearing failure for no apparant reason (bearing looked like new but shattered)

Last night I saw a post with regards to nipple orientation on the regulator. I realized that according to your photos, my regulator was on backwards from the factory to begin with. I turned the darn thing around last night and flew it today. Talk about a pile of crapola. I turned the regulator assembly back around with the nipple facing rearwards and started all over. The 110 now runs okay but throttle response is still a little iffy.

On a good note, I have owned two 91 AC's in the past (best engine YS ever made imho). There was not a better engine out their period. One idle contest yielded a 20 minute(off the pump) very very low idle on 10% nitro. I had to kill the darned thing to end the test. The 110 has been my worst nightmare to date. On to another note!

Well, since the low speed needle is seperate from all other settings ie the regulator and the high speed needle valve, this left me with only two adjustments. Here is the issue, when the regulator is adjusted so the throttle response is good and mid range works great, the highspeed will lean out.

If we use logic we can easily see what is happening..

-Regulator controls transition
-When transition from idle to full is perfect, the high end is not
-When you adjust regulator so high end works fine, mid range is not and powering out of a harrier situation is down right life threatening so to speak.
-If you combine those factors, you have a manufacturer defect somewhere or someplace period.

To top it off, I now hear rumors the 110 is being fitted with a 91 sized regulator?

Can you confirm any of this for me and let me know how best to proceed before turning this beautiful engine into a paperweight.

Thanks and cheers, Sawacs
Old 11-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dave, I Thought The 110 Problem Was Fixed

If you've been reading this forum for any length of time, you know that the regulator plunger sometimes sticks in the 110. If the engine hasn't been back in to us to correct the problem, it should be asap. Actually, the last group of 110's through here in July had old type 120 regulators. They are a vast improvement over even the ones we have fixed that were sticking.

Send it in, we know how to fix it.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Sawacs
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Copy that. I'll box it up and send it on in..

Cheers, Sawacs
Old 11-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will run great when you get it back!