Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 1.10 idle help

Old 07-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Zman39
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 1.10 idle help

I have a YS 1.10 with one gallon through it now. The only problem I am having is on the idle side. When I crank the engine, I set the idle and the engine sounds great. It runs well throughout flight but it is always idling much higher a few minutes into flight then when I started. I will pull back throttle trim to get it where I can land the plane and then the engine quits.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks

Z
Old 07-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: YS 1.10 idle help

You are not getting the engine up to temperature when you are setting the idle. After it has flown then its warmed up good and the idle is a little higher. This is common.....You need to richen your low speed air bleed screw a little or maybe the Regulator just a little. The engine is really close to set properly...

I would say try warming it up good before you set your idle trim to the proper idle rpm. This will ensure that when everything gets warmed up it idles in the same spot as before.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 07-26-2007, 06:19 AM
Zman39

Thanks Troy,

Just so I know if I am in ballpark, how many turns out does the low speed air usually end up on the 1.10?

Thanks

Mike
Old 07-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Every situation is different...fuel, temps, elevation, props....But if your air bleed screw is open more than about 2.5 turns its not doing anything. The air bleed hole inside is full open at about 2.5 turns on this screw. You need to then lean out the regulator slightly....In your situation I would not do much maybe 1/16th to 1/8th turn max as this will lean the mid range also.

What usually do when things get far off the mark I set the air bleed screw at 1.5 turns open and then adjust the regulator until the idle is perfect. Then I look to the mid range. If it needs adjusting then I make the reg adjustment slowly and tweak the air bleed in 1/8th of a turn at a time to get a match between the two settings....meaning the mid range is not too rich and the air bleed is way too lean.

The setting kind of fall together. What you are describing is a very slight lean condition on idle....I mean maybe 1/8th turn in on the air bleed screw. No matter what you do in setting your idle rpm with the transmitter trim you need to get the engine up to operating temps..or you will never solve your issue. The engine will always lean out as it gets hotter. All engines do this. So you need to warm the engine up slowly to temp maybe a 30-45 sec slow throttle up to full power then set your idle rpm...Then it will not change in the flight.
After you find where it needs to be then initial start up when cold the engine will act a little rich on the low end and will tend to load up if you let it idle too long on the ground. But once it gets up to temp and is flying it will not be too rich. Only when its cold on the initial start up will be too too rich and we are talking a smidgen not too rich. Right now I would say you are a smidgen lean....or its just not getting up to temps good before you set the idle.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Troy Newman
Old 07-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Zman39

Thanks Troy,

I will give it a try.

Mike