Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Winter storage

Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 AM
bigcam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter storage

How do I get my 110 ready for winter storage? Two areas that concern me are the fuel system and getting after run oil into the crankcase. Help and suggestions please. Storage in the northeast will be approximately 4-5 months in a heated basement.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Troy Newman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Winter storage

Run it dry at idle rpm only. Keep starting the motor until it will not start any longer. This gets the methanol and nitro to burn off. These are the components that attract water and the nitro can be corrosive.

Then use an all synthetic oil like the Ultra Oil from Dave Shadel at Performance Specialties or even a very small amount 3-4 drops of Mobil 1 0W-20 all synthetic oil. The oil is just put down the carb opening and the engine is slowly turned over to distribute the oil. Don't use Castor oil. although it will work, it will dry out and will get gummy inside the the engine. The Mobil 1 or the Ultra oil are the best. If it doesn't say all synthetic then don't use it

Do not use too much oil it will make the engine hard to start next spring. But you can flush it out before running next spring.

You can't use after run oil as many of these oils contain petroleum products. Any petroleum will damage the silicone seals and regulator parts in the engine.

If the engine is not installed in the model then place it in plastic bag like a ziplock and seal it up. A heated space like a basement is the best....Here in Phoenix AZ we have dry air and the temperature doesn't get so low. But in cold climates the engine coming inside is a good thing.

Troy Newman
Team YS