Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS60 advise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Mark 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS60 advise.

Hello, I would like a little advise. I have a Patriot with a YS60 on it.It is spinning an APC 11x9 at 12,700 and the pipe is 16" from the glow plug to the widest part of the pipe.Is this setup ok or should I shorten the pipe? I would like to get as much speed out of this airplane as possible.

Thank you in advance,

Mark.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: YS60 advise.

That should work....

If you want more speed then you need to go to more pitch. maybe an 11-12 APC prop or an 11-11

You will have to play with prop selection as it can be very airframe dependant. 16" on the pipe is in the good range for length...is its perfect for you prop, fuel and glow plug...I don't know. It would depend on the prop fuel and glow plug as well as other factors like air density and temps.

The way to check the pipe length is this....

On a horizontal at full power...put the model is a slight dive....if the engine richens up then the pipe is a little bit too long shorten is a touch.....

If ona vertical upline straight up at full power if the engine acts like it goes a little lean or sags out the pipe is a little too short.

If the pipe is a little too long you can add some nitro to your fuel and keep it long and this will give more performance and also eliminate the need to shorten the pipe...

Tuning a pipe ona 2 stroke is an Art and you have to play with a it a little to get what you want. The pipe, header and engine will affect it as will the nitro content, rpms, glow plug and air density and many other factors.

I ran the YS 60 rear exhaust with a hatori 650 long chanmbered pipe and it was about a 16 to 17" length from the glow plug to the high point on the pipe. That was a long time ago about 1990 so my memory is a little rusty on the exact specifics I think I ran a 12-10 APC specifically and it would turn about 11,000 on 25% nitro. The YS 61's are the long stroke engines and they would turn the 12-12 at the same Rpm. 10,500 to 11,000 on about the same pipe settings.

Glow plug can be critical and in these engines they like a fairly cold glow plug for this kind of performance. Rossi R5's were a big deal back then. OS #8 was another good choice in plugs.

Troy Newman
Team YS