Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

ys 91 carb problems

Old 12-19-2007, 05:14 PM
ozzmanace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ys 91 carb problems

i have a ys 91. it says ac on the engines but says fz on the box. it's about 5 years old. my problem is my carb barrel binds in transition. so i ordered an ac barrel with the rubber grommet. it was too small. so i ordered a fz barrel w/ rubber grommet. it was even smaller. i don't think my barrel is bad or warped. but it does have a couple of scares on it. i think i need the right rubber grommet. but none of the above fit. i recently got the engine overhauled from ys services. but they didn't replace this part. has anyone come across this or have any ideas
Old 12-19-2007, 05:23 PM
ozzmanace

Default RE: ys 91 carb problems

if troy newman reads this post, please note that i didn't find your answer to my last post on the same subject until after i made this one. but after reading it, i'm wondering what is involved in lapping the barrel?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a big risk of damaging the carb body and or the barrel. Its not hard to do....but I don't want to be responsible for the damage to your engine.

I would suggest that YS Parts and Service do this for you.

As far as the barrel being tight have you tried loosening the carb bolts? If the barrel is loose when these bolts are loose then the carb body has been warped, by over-tightening the carb bolts. If it is really bad then it may require a new carb body, and barrel as an assembly.

If its only a minor issue then you can Lapp the barrel in the carb body using some oil or even just tooth paste if you are needing a little more cutting power. I would not use any lapping compound. It could get the tolerances too loose and the barrel assembly could leak air.

In many cases if you just tighten the carb bolts evenly and don't over tighten them the binding could be solved.

It just depends, it a hard thing to diagnose over the Internet.

If you have the wrong throttle barrel then it will not work as a replacement. As for the Throttle barrel seal, it is more than a rubber grommet, it you look at it closely it has a special taper to it. The throttle barrel seal is different from the 91AC to the 91FZ, as I stated above the throttle barrels are also different.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 12-19-2007, 08:15 PM
ozzmanace

troy thanks for your responce even though you answered before. i have not messed with the carbbolts yet but will be my next try. i have tryied oiling the barrel with no luck. the ac barrel might fit if i had a thicker seal. the original barrel might have a gap of 1/32 and the ac barrel a gap of 1/16. just guessing. is there another engine ,say a 110 or something that has a bigger seal?
Old 12-19-2007, 08:18 PM
ozzmanace

central hobbies says that carb housing are no longer availiable. is this true?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Please Call YS parts and Service they can tell you what you have and what you don't have. They can also try to get you parts that will work. You may have to buy a carb froma 91FZ or maybe even a 110FZ ot get it to work.

Richard can help you and tell you what you need and what you don't.

I know he will be out of the office next week for the holidays....and might be gone already Firday the 21st. not sure about that....But he can help you Believe me....Hav the part numbers of the barrels you bought with you when you call and Richard will know what you are talkign about. I don't have a 91 in my posession, and I don't have a big store of parts. Richard DOES!

Sometimes he has some old parts that will still work. He sometimes has motor that are for spare parts. Things liek the Case or the Carb body is still good but the engien is too expensive to fix the other problems...He can often come up with a set of parts that can work just like new for you.

Troy Newman
Team YS