Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Engine life

Old 12-26-2007, 08:58 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Engine life

I have been looking at buying a used YS engine and was curious as to how many gallons is the point where I should back off. The engine I was looking at was rebuilt 3 years ago and has had about 15 gallons run through it since then. Is this engine still considered low time/use or should I look for something with a less use? I am new to 4 strokes and I am trying to get general info. Thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine life

When its time for a rebuild has a lot to do with the conditions that its run in.

If you are flying off a grass field or a dirt field then it might be time to get new bearings at about 15-20 gallons of fuel. It will depend. As for engine performance 15 gallons is not very much. If its run in a dirty environment like I mentioned about time for a new ring too. if it has been flown in very clean environments then its not time yet.

The worst the flying conditions the more often you should replace the bearings and or perhaps the ring.

To give a rough estimate. I run the 160 and 170 engines in my pattern models. I burn 30% heli fuel and using a 20 oz tank I likely get around 8 flights 12-15mins each out of a gallon of fuel. 15 gallons is around 100-120 flights. On my engine....I usually will start to look at new bearings and new ring around 250-300flights.

usually the engine starts to loose some power at this point, and the ring is the important part of the rebuild for performance. While it is already taken apart I usually stick new bearings in it. However I have done the bearing thing every other time and it has been fine too. So 500-600flights on a set of bearings is not a problem if the engine is carefully maintained. I fly on pavement 90% of the time and also keep good track of the engine and its performance. I also use a very good fuel that helps protect the engine.

The next problem is time. The engine is 3 years old, and the bearings are likely fine, however that is not much run time in 3 years. If it is taken care of properly and a good fuel run through ti then 3 years is not an issue, however it could mean it is getting close to time for new bearings. The bearings can get rusty if you fuel of choice is not good, or the conditions the engine is stored in have extreme temperature changes and or high humidity.

I would not consider a 15 gallon engine low time being its a 3year old engine, however its not a high time engine either.

I know this didn't answer the question you wanted to know. Is the engine still good? It should be if it was taken care of. A rebuild new ring is about $20 new rear bearing is about $20 and the front bearing is about $15. Misc gaskets and so on and you are looking at $60-80 worth of parts to make it like new assuming there are not other issues. On the large 140 and 160 engines this is nothing compared to a new engine as they will perform like new. On a 63 thought is gets to be a larger amount in comparison to the total cost of the engine.

It all depends on how you look at it and what your needs are. Can you do the work yourself? That is another cost to consider. I think YS Parts and Service charges around $35 for the labor but I'm not sure about that. I usually do my own repairs.

Troy Newman
Team YS

In most conditions 15 gallons is not close to the time to rebuild.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:21 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Troy,

Thanks a lot for the help! I am new to the Y.S. engine thread and have read a lot of q and a's. I must say that I am VERY impressed with your knowledge and sound advice. It sure goes a long way helping out the newbies. I am debating whether or not I should buy this engine and if it needs rebuilt invest the extra money or just flat out pass. I really like the Y.S. engines and would like to have one, but buying one brand new isn't really an option at this point. I will continue researching and see if I can begin to ask the right questions. Thanks again I appreciate it!

Shannon
Old 12-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are good deals out there, I have seen them on RCU and other forums as well. But like with anything else purchasing a used engine via the internet can be taking a risk.

So just watch out and you will be fine.

The larger the engines the 120's and 140's the better you be in the end for buying a used one. In many cases these older engines can be had at a reasonable cost and if they need rebuilt the extra cost is not that much. You just never know. Some people take good care of their engines and others well the engine is not the priority. If you are buying one froma local guy in a club or the likes...then look at how he takes care of his models, not just the engine.

Its like buying a used car....sometimes you get the one that was well drag raced by the teenager and then there is always those little old ladies driving to church.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 12-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Newc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something that hasn't been mentioned probably should be...How does the engine run right now? I would never buy an engine that I haven't seen run as part of the purchase agreement.