Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Bad Plugs....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 05:47 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Plugs....

Trying a new YS plug in a YS .63. So far, the engine runs like a champ...until you take the glow ignitor off. Then it'll just die. My experience has been that if that happens, then it's time for a glow plug change. Well, I put an OS F-plug in it, that is known to have worked properly. Well, it does the same thing. Runs like a champ until you take the glow plug ignitor off. Anybody got any suggestions? The needles are as follows:

Low Speed.......1 1/8 turns out
Regulator..........flush with housing
High Speed........1 1/2 turns out

I tried leaning and richening the low speed, as well as the regulator. No luck.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Default RE: Bad Plugs....

999.9999 times out of 1000, when the engine runs OK with the glow ignitor and dies as soon as it's removed, it's because the mixture is too rich. With power applied, the plug stays hotter and can burn off the excess fuel charge, but once power is removed the excess fuel floods and cools the glow plug and it quits working. And if the engine is inverted, the problem can be really difficult to solve, because the fuel charge is falling down on top of the glow plug anyway.

Leave the ignitor connected and fine tune your low end mixture for maximum RPMs, use a tach if you can. Once you've maxed it out, then do the same with the regulator, and try to aim for as lean a setting as possible with maximum RPMs. Then remove the ignitor and see what you have, you may need to lean it a tad more to keep it from flooding out and stopping. Make your adjustments very small, and give the engine time to respond before you adjust it again.

Good Luck!

David
Old 03-07-2009, 06:08 PM

Can I just bring it up to Soddy Daisy and let you fix it for me!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:36 PM

I tell you what, I'll give you the link to my club so you can check it out, then you let me know what weekend you'd like to come, and what day (Sat or Sun) at what time, and I'll make it a point to be there, and I and some of my fellow club members will do everything in our power to get the Sum-u-gun running like a top. I'm not kidding. [8D]

[link=http://www.fallingwaterrc.com]Falling Water Radio Control Flying Club[/link]

David McCormick, president
Old 03-07-2009, 06:51 PM

Gonna crack open a new gallon of fuel....this one is fairly new, but you just never know. Was recommended by a 2-stroke flyer!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:25 PM

The culprit seems to have been bad fuel. Makes me think that I should always bring my fuel inside!