Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Old YS 60 two stroke

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:50 AM
TobagoFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old YS 60 two stroke

I stopped flying about 25 years ago, but kept my best plane and my best engine, the old reliable YS 60. I disassembled the engine and cleaned it up, put new bearings in it, and it looks and feels like it is ready for a lot more fun.

I was really saddened to find that parts are no longer available, nor is there an online manual that I can find anywhere. I had bought the engine slightly used in the '80s, and did not get a manual. Flew it many hours though, and loved it.

This is the old 60, does not have FR or FS on the side of the crankcase, only YS 60.

Now I have a problem remembering the fuel hookup. This engine has the carb as part of the crankcase casting (not separate), with the plastic fuel regulator on the bottom. The two nipples are on the plastic base, and I assume the front one goes to the carb fitting, since the nipple on the carb is aimed at it. The rear one must be the fuel line from the tank. On the opposite side of the crankcase casting there is a "banjo" nipple, I assume this is the pressure line to the tank where the check valve will be.

Does anyone remember this engine at all? It sure is sad that if it needs anything other than a diaphragm or bearings it will be scrap. 8>(

The diaphragm in it looked great, and I did find a spare on eBay. I also found a set of YS 60 bearings on eBay, but they are too large for this early 60. Discovered I had a couple sets of Fafnir bearings I had purchased in the 80's for it though.

Any help on the correct fuel hookup would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has the old manual sitting around I would gladly pay for a copy! I download all the 60 manuals I could find online, but they are for later engines.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM
skyhawk172n
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Old YS 60 two stroke

I'm not sure about the fuel hookup yet myself, but I just got an old .60 like that back from Richard at YS Parts &Service. He was able to get all the parts to completely rebuild it, including new sleeve. Give him a call, I'll bet he can help!

Roy Aultman
Old 05-04-2009, 03:35 PM
bob443

ORIGINAL: TobagoFlyer

I stopped flying about 25 years ago, but kept my best plane and my best engine, the old reliable YS 60. I disassembled the engine and cleaned it up, put new bearings in it, and it looks and feels like it is ready for a lot more fun.

I was really saddened to find that parts are no longer available, nor is there an online manual that I can find anywhere. I had bought the engine slightly used in the '80s, and did not get a manual. Flew it many hours though, and loved it.

This is the old 60, does not have FR or FS on the side of the crankcase, only YS 60.

Now I have a problem remembering the fuel hookup. This engine has the carb as part of the crankcase casting (not separate), with the plastic fuel regulator on the bottom. The two nipples are on the plastic base, and I assume the front one goes to the carb fitting, since the nipple on the carb is aimed at it. The rear one must be the fuel line from the tank. On the opposite side of the crankcase casting there is a "banjo" nipple, I assume this is the pressure line to the tank where the check valve will be.

Does anyone remember this engine at all? It sure is sad that if it needs anything other than a diaphragm or bearings it will be scrap. 8>(

The diaphragm in it looked great, and I did find a spare on eBay. I also found a set of YS 60 bearings on eBay, but they are too large for this early 60. Discovered I had a couple sets of Fafnir bearings I had purchased in the 80's for it though.

Any help on the correct fuel hookup would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has the old manual sitting around I would gladly pay for a copy! I download all the 60 manuals I could find online, but they are for later engines.
please have a look at the scheme attached, bye
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26368.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1192262  
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Yw68353.txt (1.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 PM
TobagoFlyer

That is the engine I have!
Thanks! Now I have confirmation that I was assuming correctly on the fuel line hookup.