YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

ys 140s will not start

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:26 PM
ken graham
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ys 140s will not start

ok here i go: the engine sat on the plane for 1.5 years and got to fly it 2 weeks ago. i ran ys 20/20 fuel thru it. it started good and produced good tech readings, and a very good top rpm and idle. every time i would stop the engine just 2-3 drops of fuel would come out of the carb. so today i had time to go flying; the engine would not even fire. i tried 2 different glow fuel one jug was new and just opened, also pulled glow plug. it was full of fuel so while it was out i put it in the glow driver and it burned it right out and glowed bright red like it should; put the plug back in: hit it with the starter nothing not even 1 cough. pull plug full of fuel, leave glow plug out and hit engine with starter with no plug to clear the engine. reinstall a new plug after checking that it works right. not even a single cough. tried anthor glow driver and pulled plug it's full of fuel. reinstall plug try again. nothing. but i did notice that fuel was pouring out of the carb this time and soaked the glow driver. pulled the line that goes to the needle valve and turned engine over with starter, it shot fuel out like there was no tomarrow. than i pulled plug again it was full of fuel again. turned the regulator adj screw in 1/4 turn, i noticed that it took very little presure to turn it i could turn it with my fingernail and i noticed that it was not flush with regulator body. should there be more friction to turn that screw? i got home and messured it; it was .010" above the body. is there a factory setting for this? do you just set it flush and go from there or do you bottom it out and back off so many turns? my guess is i should take it apart and clean it. any ideas would very helpful.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ys 140s will not start

The baseline setting for the regulator is flush with the housing.

If you are getting fuel pouring out of the carb the regulaotr is not closing. You can certainly take the regulator apart and flush it out to make sure there is nothing in it causing you grief but you might try setting the regulator flush first however.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:46 PM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like the regulator is stuck open. It is relatively easy to take the regulator apart and clean. If it sat for that long it is probably gummed up. Take it apart and clean everything with fuel. Make sure when you put it back together that the plunger pin is fully seated in the plunger. I bought a used 140 and when I tried to start it it was blowing fuel out of the exhaust. I cleaned out the regulator and it runs perfectly.

Good luck, Terry
Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 AM
ken graham
My Feedback: (10)

i should have time today to take it apart, can not fly it's raining out. where is a good place to get parts for this engine?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 AM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Engines/parts/ysparts.htm