YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

stuck valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck valve?

I have a 110 FZ that I can rotate the shaft with little or no compression. I removed the rocker cover and rotated the shaft again and noticed one of the rockers wasn't moving. This engine has been sitting for a couple of years and I want to get it started up again but I'm not sure what I should do.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-09-2010, 03:22 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: stuck valve?

The rocker could be gummed up or the valve could be sticking. I'd wash the valve train down with raw fuel and try moving the rocker by hand with the piston at BDC.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 AM
sandseeker

I have the same thing with a well used 63s, it starts with little compression ,rattles then roars to life on the first start of the day,all starts after are normal..I don't use after run oil or run the engine completely out of fuel.Should I? Or does the top end need a decoke (I run coolpower 30)

chris
Old 02-10-2010, 09:09 AM
petec

ORIGINAL: sandseeker

I have the same thing with a well used 63s, it starts with little compression ,rattles then roars to life on the first start of the day,all starts after are normal..I don't use after run oil or run the engine completely out of fuel.Should I? Or does the top end need a decoke (I run coolpower 30)

chris
Do you know that the rocker is not moving on the first start of the day? If so then you might want to clean the valve train but my guess is the ring is just worn and needs a little fluid to make it happy. Usually things don't get sticky unless they have been sitting for a long period of time.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:50 PM
tukkus

I removed the rocker assembly and found that the rocker was stuck, it now moves around freely but I've also noticed the pushrod on the exhaust side doesn't move up or down like the intake side does. There doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with the pushrod and if I put my finger on it and rotate the shaft there's no movement at all.

Am I missing something?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:14 PM
petec

It sounds like the engine is just gummed up from sitting and the oils coagulating. You could disassemble it and clean it OR soak the whole engine in raw fuel over night and then try propping it over.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:23 PM
tukkus

I figured it out.

I removed the cam cover and found that the tappet was stuck (luckily it was on the cover side). It took some time just to remove the cover and free up the tappet without damaging them, I used a plastic cap from a pen and a wood dowel to free up the tappet and zip ties to remove the cover.

I also noticed that the bearing on the cam cover is very notchy and will have to be replaced.

Thanks for the help.